Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer
    Sorry, but I have always been a MyBible guy. http://www.laridian.com.

Right now, for $50, you can get the NIV Study Bible Bundle, which contains:

MyBible 4 program
    NIV Bible with Study Bible Notes
    The Message
    King James Version
    American Standard Version
    Darby's New Translation
    Young's Literal Translation
    World English Bible
    Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
    Easton's Bible Dictionary
    Nave's Topical Bible
    DailyReader program
    My Utmost for His Highest
    Spurgeon's Morning & Evening
    Daily Light on the Daily Path
    Laridian Reading Plans
    Memorize! program
    The Navigator's Topical Memory SystemóBasic Edition

Fifty bucks for all that is an amazing price. I mean, that's ike, what? Seven? Eight translations? Plus all the other stuff. I have no regrets paying for all that, as I like having a few different translations (though I only use about 3 of them) to look at, plus the commentary, plus the study notes, plus the daily devotionals, etc.

Never really tried the others so cannot comment on them.
    How much RAM space is it taking up? How much are you putting on the SD Card? It does sound like a good deal.

I already tried PalmBible+, MyBible (KJV one), and OliveTree. Right from the get-go I am down to MyBible and PalmBible+. The one thing that I dont like about PalmBible+ is that I can't attach a note to a particular verse. I didn't like the interface of OliveTree. It took too much to move around. (but it was very feature rich). I just wish the MyBible would give me more then KJV for the demo I want to see the side by side bible comparison features. Oh well.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    How much RAM space is it taking up? How much are you putting on the SD Card? It does sound like a good deal.

I already tried PalmBible+, MyBible (KJV one), and OliveTree. Right from the get-go I am down to MyBible and PalmBible+. The one thing that I dont like about PalmBible+ is that I can't attach a note to a particular verse. I didn't like the interface of OliveTree. It took too much to move around. (but it was very feature rich). I just wish the MyBible would give me more then KJV for the demo I want to see the side by side bible comparison features. Oh well.

It is a heck of a deal. You can basically put the whole thing on the SD card if you want. I usually leave the bible reader app in RAM and move all my bible database files to the card. The cool thing is you can have split screen with two different translations for comparison. You switch to a different verse in one translation, the other automatically goes there as well. You can attach notes to individual verses in MyBible too.
    For Bible+ to add a note to a verse:
    Go to the verse
    Type 'a' (the letter A)
    It will show a bookmark screen
    The last button is Note/Annotation
    Add Note
    Close
    Close
    Then you have a bookmarked note with a verse

Here is the manual that has most of the features: palmbibleplus.sourceforge.net/pbmanual.htm
    I will update the manual agaim at the next major release. See the Bible+ forum for the latest beta and to address issues to the developers directly.

Note: I am not a Bible+ developer, I just maintain the website
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I love Bible+...
    I have used it for years and I use it every day.

The problem I have with the note feature is that it is not easy to view a particular note.
    You have to view the bookmarks, move to the verse you are looking for, open it, and then push the note button.
    If you have a lot of bookmarks it can take awhile.

It would be nice if there was a single command that would take you directly to the note attached to the verse at hand.
    Alternatively, it would help if there was a way to have the view bookmark command go directly to the bookmark for the verse at hand.

If there is presently a way to do this now I would like to know.

Thanks.

Jeff
    Do you guys use your treos at church for the bible? I tried it once and my wife took it away from me. I guess others might think I'm playing around with my cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosome
    Do you guys use your treos at church for the bible? I tried it once and my wife took it away from me. I guess others might think I'm playing around with my cell phone.
    LOL, no...

I use my NIV Life Application at church. It is my main study bible. I use MyBible for when I am traveling, at Promise Keepers, or at my men's Wednesday morning bible study. And also just whenever I need some of the Word during the day to get me through...LOL
    I use my Treo in church (with the phone switched off of course). I get a few frowns from the technical abstainers, but if you make sure you look studious and contemplative as you view your Treo screen, it tends to "fend off" the easily "offended" (you see what I did there?).

Also, you guys are doing such a great sales pitch that I feel Olive Tree deserves a little more credit:

Check out the details here

Highlights:
    Hyperlinking
    Cross-references
    Highlighting, underlining and text bolding (very cool)
    Personal notes (attached to verses or detached...)
    Word and phrase search (very advanced search capabilities)
    Daily Reading (tick them off as you complete!)

Available add-ons:
    Bible Maps
    Original languages (greek, hebrew etc..)
    Daily devotionals
    ebooks
    commentaries
    Bible dictionaries
    Strongs condordance
    loads of bibles

Phew!
    Lido
    Treo 650, UK
  8.    #28  
    <removed>
    Last edited by BabelFish; 08/04/2006 at 10:46 AM.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    I used to get frowned at for using the bible on my Treo at church, but now about half of the people around me have theirs on some sort of pda, so it's a normal thing now.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I do. The other guys in church are quite impressed. My wife tolerates it. My kids actually think it's kind of cool, so they look over my shoulder.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    I use my Treo as my bible unless I am sitting next to my bed. I have done as such for over three years (using Bible Reader first and now Bible+). My g/f used to think I was playing till she understood. Now she carries a TX and has Bible+ on it for the times when she doesnt want to carry her Bible.

The notes feature I believe will be worked on at some point to make it easier to distinguish if there is a note with a verse or not. I do agree that its a bit of a kludge to get there. If there was a note icon on bookmarked verses that had a note, it would be easier. And then click on the note to go right to it; that would be nearly perfect. Right now for B+, a very fine tuned 5way integration is in testing (see the Bible+ forum for that floating alpha/beta) and is pretty slick.

ESV is being reviewed now for use with Bible+. There are a few other translations that are being reviewed, but really what is available for a free bible reader hinges more on the publisher allowing it to be available than the bible itself being produced. I have a few versions that have had copyrights modified in the past year+ to include not making an electronic version of that bible even if you own the paper version. Its a sticky issue, but one the Bible+ community is fighting for (especially for those not in the US and UK who don't have those same copyright restrictinons in their countries but do want to observe the Word when using the produced works of another).

Olive Tree is a very solid release, as are the other readers. But Bible+ gets the edge on usability over features (for now) to the others.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lido
    I use my Treo in church (with the phone switched off of course). I get a few frowns from the technical abstainers, but if you make sure you look studious and contemplative as you view your Treo screen, it tends to "fend off" the easily "offended" (you see what I did there?).

Also, you guys are doing such a great sales pitch that I feel Olive Tree deserves a little more credit:

Check out the details here

Highlights:
    Hyperlinking
    Cross-references
    Highlighting, underlining and text bolding (very cool)
    Personal notes (attached to verses or detached...)
    Word and phrase search (very advanced search capabilities)
    Daily Reading (tick them off as you complete!)

Available add-ons:
    Bible Maps
    Original languages (greek, hebrew etc..)
    Daily devotionals
    ebooks
    commentaries
    Bible dictionaries
    Strongs condordance
    loads of bibles

Phew!

Lido:

How are you able to create detached notes with the Olive Tree Bible Reader?

I only see how to make notes that are attached to specific verses.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Did anyone mention QuickVerse? I love it - although I don't believe NIV is available for it. It contains lots of extras. I use it during church service often for quick access to scripture. Very nice program.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    my bible!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    What's up brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus! Quick question, I'm using Bible+ and think it's a very solid program. I have not been able to find any usable "commentary" software for it. Any reccomendations?
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Does any one know of a program that includes/supports The Complete Jewish Bible translation?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Yes. Typically, I'm jumping back and forth (McPhling) between OliveTree's BibleReader and Sied (for taking notes). It's a little weird when I'm in plain view (like sitting on stage) because taking notes looks a lot like text messaging

I'm seeing more technology sightings, though. In my congregation, there are several laptops poppoing up as well as Treos or other PDAs.

I'm almost ready to use my Treo it when I speak publicly as well. My only concern is not wanting the Treo to be a distraction for the listener (it was a distraction the first time I used PocketTune for my accompaniment track).
    What's up brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus! Quick question, I'm using Bible+ and think it's a very solid program. I have not been able to find any usable "commentary" software for it. Any reccomendations?
    Visit www.gospelshare.org for commentaries. There are also some on the Bible+ Bibles page (http://palmbibleplus.sourceforge.net/bibles.htm)

Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Yes. Typically, I'm jumping back and forth (McPhling) between OliveTree's BibleReader and Sied (for taking notes). It's a little weird when I'm in plain view (like sitting on stage) because taking notes looks a lot like text messaging

I'm seeing more technology sightings, though. In my congregation, there are several laptops poppoing up as well as Treos or other PDAs.

I'm almost ready to use my Treo it when I speak publicly as well. My only concern is not wanting the Treo to be a distraction for the listener (it was a distraction the first time I used PocketTune for my accompaniment track).
    See the series on the Paperless Pulpit at Mobile Ministry Magazine for some strageties on how to be a little less of a distraction with your PDA while speaking publically.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    Visit www.gospelshare.org for commentaries. There are also some on the Bible+ Bibles page (http://palmbibleplus.sourceforge.net/bibles.htm)
    Wow...I can't believe I missed that. I appreciate you picking up the pieces for me and pointing me in the right direction! Be blessed
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast