1.    #1  
    I was having trouble with my verizon treo 650 microphone, so verizon made me do a hard reset. While synching with the desktop to restore the data, I got error messages saying all my contact categories were deleted! I tried an older backup address.dat file, but still the categories were not there any more. this will cost me lots of time to re-map all 4100 of my contacts into the right categories.

does anyone know how to recover these categories, what file they are stored in, or have any ideas how to get them back short of re-typing them in and then re-mapping all 4100 of my contacts into the right category manually? Here is what my hotsync log said (there was plenty of memory on the disk and on my handheld):

HotSync operation started for Mike Glenn on 07/27/06 16:36:10

OK Quick Install
    OK VersaMail
    OK Memos
    OK Documents To Go
    -- Calendar
    - Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
    Desktop = 1533, Handheld = 1
    OK Calendar with 1 message(s)

-- Contacts
    - Desktop category 'Cust-WST old' has been deleted.
    - Desktop category 'Computer/Auto' has been deleted.
    - Desktop category 'Finance/Leg/Med' has been deleted.
    - Desktop category 'Network/Recruit' has been deleted.
    - Desktop category 'Customer-wvsp' has been deleted.
    - Desktop category 'Store/web/Mail ' has been deleted.
    - Desktop category 'Home/Contractor' has been deleted.
    - Desktop category 'Christ./Charity' has been deleted.
    - Desktop category 'Restaurant' has been deleted.
    - Desktop category 'Trv/Air/Car/Hot' has been deleted.
    - Desktop category 'Customer-EDA' has been deleted.
    - Desktop category 'Recreation' has been deleted.
    - Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
    Desktop = 4108, Handheld = 3
    OK Contacts with 13 message(s)

-- Tasks
    - Desktop category 'Background' has been deleted.
    - Desktop category 'career' has been deleted.
    Desktop = 1057, Handheld = 1
    OK Tasks with 3 message(s)

One suggestion I saw said roll back the OS to a time before this happened and try to restore the address.dat file - does anyone know if this will work?

thanks for your help!
    Try going to C: then programs/palmone/ then your user name/ then look for the address folder
    The reason this happens is that Palm doesn't care about bugs.

The only way that I've found to work around this bug is to manually create the missing categories before synch-ing. Otherwise, Palm's brain-dead HotSync tool will DELETE the categories and convert everything to "unfiled," instead of creating the missing categories as it (obviously) ought to.

This bug has been driving Palm users nuts for many years, though many versions of the Palm OS and the Palm Desktop. Palm just can't be troubled to fix it. (No wonder the Palm OS is losing out to other platforms.)

-Dave Burton
    dave283 at burtonsys dot com