1.    #1  
    So there's verichat, causerie, mundu, IM+, and so on.... and am I correct in stating that it seems that EVERY one of them has a YEARLY license fee instead of just one-time purchase price? What is it that makes them different than all other palm os apps that makes them worthy of yearly license fees?

Just curious.
    Maintainence of the server and associate costs of mantaining the service. Maybe the developer has to pay a user fee, et cetera. It is due to recurring expenses. Ben
    IM+ is just a one time fee, if I remember correctly. But the rest have yearly fees
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by unbreakableblue
    IM+ is just a one time fee, if I remember correctly. But the rest have yearly fees
    Yeah, I noticed that. If what Ben says is the reason for yearly license fees, how can IM+ get away with just a one-time purchase fee?

Puzzling.
    I don't think IM+ uses intermediary servers like the rest of the programs do and instead they connect you directly to the service. Don't quote me on this, though..
    If the connection is directly to the service, then when that service changes its operation or a feature, then that leaves you with an application that will not work.

Ben
    I just checked Palmgear and it says a one time fee. For a while Marc (ChatterEmail) ran Chatter and it was a great chat program. After a while, he stopped doing so due to the maintenance involved. Ben
    I just installed the app and when I tapped the "trial" option button, no go. Oh, well. Ben
    You might try www.meebo.com. (I suggested this in another post, but it's just because I just found out about it, I promise I'm not affilitated : ) I am curious to know if it works with the 700's browser. I'm still in 650 world myself...
    Funny, free ecards for weird situations. No registration required. - UncomfortableSituations.com

Pop culture hangman using Flickr pics - SearchVoyeurMan
    Where can I find IM+? I've looked on mytreo.net and didn't see it. Is it for the 700p?
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone
    Where can I find IM+? I've looked on mytreo.net and didn't see it. Is it for the 700p?

http://www.shapeservices.com/en/index.php
    Verichat will charge you a yearly license fee and not even deliver on thier products service. still doesn't work with 700p, yet they claim works on "all Palm OS" pda's. they won't even offer a refund or partial refund. kinda sorry of them, but hey....they can lose my business anytime.
    Yes, the recurring yearly fee is to keep up their servers. If these Palm IM apps. connected directly to the IM service, anytime the IM service had a change, these Palm IM apps. that connect directly to the IM services would stop working.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    toccer is free
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    toccer is free

Which is the reason why I am using it. While I love trillian on my XP box (home and work) I can get away with not having an all in one on my 700p, though I'd like to have one. I have less then 10 contacts on msn/yahoo, and more then 300 on aim.
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer
    I just installed it and am testing it out. So far I like it! I tried Causerie and noticed that when it was running in backround mode switching between apps was very slow. It would take about 5 seconds to switch and there would be a blank white screen in the process. IM+ has no delay at all that I can notice. I signed into YIM and my contact list showed up and I was signed out of my computer immediately. We'll see how it works over the weekend. I sent a contact a message, but haven't gotten a response yet. Thanks for the tip!
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    Toccer is Free it connects directly to the aim server it doesnt have none of the eye candy most of us are used to using but its the most stable Aim client i have used on my 650 and on my 700 you can also use the AOL AIM for PALM but you have to manually enter all your contacts wich suchs and crashes all the time.. for Yahoo i use the Yahoo instant messenger its pretty good, you can download it from mytreo.net