1.    #1  
    My "Messaging" app Inbox is empty but the numerical envelope (and the number 1, indicating one text message) still shows on the Phone app screen (for the last 24+ hours). I called Sprint and he said that he does not show any pending SMS in the system and suggested I return the phone. That sounds kind of extreme (and this is my first 700p without creaky buttons), so I wanted to check to see if anyone has a fix for this. Is there a file that has prefs or actually stores SMS messages, that I can delete?
  2. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Goto Options=> Phone Preferences => Press the "Clear Voicemail Icon" button.

That should work.
    or just reset it
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I have this problem also. It's been on my phone for a while, just has not been big enough of an issue to really worry about.

Neither of the 2 suggestions worked, unfortunately. I even did a hard-reset, and restored my data (tried with BBVFS and via HotSync), but the problem was restored along with my data. I'm pretty sure there is a file or something that has a separate setting, so if anyone knows what it is, it would be appreciated. The only other option I could see is to do a clean install, which is really a pain....
    Bok
    I just marked over mine with a black magic marker. Haven't seen it since...
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Ouch!

BTW, you may want to make sure your voice mail box is cleared as well.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I have a similar problem with my voicemail. the voicemail icon will appear on my treo even there is no message.
    I left a voicemail to myself and run thru the delete process again. then it will be ok. you may need to do the same with your sms icon. ask your friend to send a few sms to you. then delete them all to see if the icon go away.
    Just went through this with Sprint customer service the other day.

Supposedly this is not a notification of voicemail waiting. The envelope on the 1 key is to indicate that this is the key that you hold down for an extended period of time to autodial your voicemail number. The one on the voicemail button is to remind you that you can press and hold 1 to dial your voicemail. Why the redundancy I don't know. But it is irritating to say the least, and a little condensending (sp) to say the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by remltr
    Just went through this with Sprint customer service the other day.

Supposedly this is not a notification of voicemail waiting. The envelope on the 1 key is to indicate that this is the key that you hold down for an extended period of time to autodial your voicemail number. The one on the voicemail button is to remind you that you can press and hold 1 to dial your voicemail. Why the redundancy I don't know. But it is irritating to say the least, and a little condensending (sp) to say the most.
    GSM phones have a tape reel instead of a musical envelope on the "1" key... seems top cause less confusion
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  10.    #10  
    I've tried the Clear Voicemail command, soft resetting, hard resetting and having an SMS sent to me (then deleting it)...nothing has worked. Any other ideas?
    Try this:

Dial your voicemail. Go into main menu, then press 3 for change personal options. Press 1 for notifications. You'll hear that phone notification for new vm messages is turned on. Turn it off, then hang up. Soft reset. Go back into notifications in your vm system, turn notifications back on. Hope this helps.
    You can usualy press those icons and it will take you to whatever is causing it, i.e: if you have an mms icon it will take you to messaging etc. Easiest way to find out what they are imho.
    People has anyone bothered to read the original post? He is complining about the SMS/Picture mail icon, not voicemail, and not the shortcut buttons. This sounds like a corupt db. I hate to say this but you are going to need to hard reset and NOT restore from backup. You will need to restor by hand, that is unless someone knows the name of the file, then you could mod/remove it.
    bit_bucket
    the OP needs to delete his "messaging db" file.

it is corrupt and a new one will be generated.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    the OP needs to delete his "messaging db" file.

it is corrupt and a new one will be generated.
    That worked! Thanks, dutchtrumpet. I can't believe that Palm was asking me to exchange the phone for that!
    Are "messaging db" and "Messages Database" one in the same?
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    "Messages Database" worked for me. Thanks dutchtrumpet, and all.....
    Bok
    Deleted "Messages Database" ....... no worky for me. hmmmmmm
    My Verizon has 2 envelopes- on the top bar EV icon is a yellow one for voice mail, below the word Verizon is a white one. My white envelope had a 2 next to it...I realized I had two unread emails. I read them and the envelope and the 2 went away. Cleared my voice mail and the yellow envelope went away. Are you sure it's not the email notification you are seeing?
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschr
    Are you sure it's not the email notification you are seeing?
    Posilutely