1.    #1  
    I recently got a plam 700p from verizon and I am experiencing a lot of system hangs. I have searched but haven't seen anyone describe anything similar so I am trying to work out if I have a faulty unit.

I am running a fairly standard unit, I added kmaps, tussh, versamail, with hot sync to the mac.

The unit goes to sleep and the screen is dark, when I push the power button the screen doesn't come to life. When I try calling the phone it just goes to voicemail so at this point I am assuming it has hung. After pushing the reset button the phone restarts.

This happens at random times but has happened the last two nights when the unit is being charged.

Has anyone else seen this on a 700p?
    Do you have anything running in the background that does things like check the mail? Does it happen in the time period that an alarm is set?

Ben
    No offense, but it you've really searched and can't find anything on this subject, then you're searching the wrong forum.

In short, this is a HUGE, known issue. Hopefully it will be resolved with the first firmware update, but....that's anyone's guess.

-split
    I haven't had any hanging problems like that with my 700p. It has been smooth as silk since the day I got it. I don't use kmaps or tussh and I don't leave things running in the background (email, aim, etc.) to perform network tasks.
    Granted if you do not use back ground apps or alarm monitoring utilities, the action is less often. However, many of us do use those apps routinely and in my situation, throughout the day. Data is always on, ChatterEmail running between 5:30A and 9:30P, and so forth. My Sprint Treo 700p is used as a work tool, though there are some none work apps on it. With something working in the back ground, there will always be that interval of time that the unit does not "respond" immediately. It's a fact of life. Does it come on a few moments after you press the key the first time?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Does it come on a few moments after you press the key the first time?
    If it was just a few seconds then I could live with it. I this case it doesn't ever come back, plus phone calls to the phone don't complete.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Do you have anything running in the background that does things like check the mail? Does it happen in the time period that an alarm is set?
    I have never seen it when an alarm is set, I don't use alarms very often. I do use versamail but it is currently set not to auto sync.
    A lot of people are having problems with Versamail. Remove it and see if the problem still exists. I have a VZW 700p and switched from Versamail to Chatter because of problems with versa. Hope this helps.

Edit: Make sure you hard reset or completely remove every versamail file.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello
    A lot of people are having problems with Versamail. Remove it and see if the problem still exists.
    I might try that, I did a hard reset and ran the phone for a few days with out issues. I installed verizon wireless sync and the problem occoured within about 30 mins, so I thought I had tracked it down to wireless sync. I did another hard reset and started slowly adding apps back on, but the problem started happening again, just not as frequently. I couldn't pin it to a single application.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imacdonald
    I couldn't pin it to a single application.
    You probably won't pin it down to a single app. As mentioned earlier, there seems to be a bug with the way the Treo700 accesses information.

See http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=118867
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    I have several things running in the background (Causerie, Snappermail), and I've never experienced a phone hang on my Verizon 700p such that I was not being able to wake up the screen. I don't think what you describe has anything to do with the lag due to DB access times that is a known issue. I suspect that either you have a bad 700p or the 3rd-party software you've installed is causing the complete hangs, rather than just long lags.

If I were you, I'd get another 700p just to be safe, since you just got it. If the new unit hangs the same, it's most likely your 3rd-party software.
  12.    #12  
    I wanted to follow up. I called verizon support and they said I could replace the treo under the 30day DOA policy at my local verizon store. I haven't had a single problem with the phone since.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imacdonald View Post
    I wanted to follow up. I called verizon support and they said I could replace the treo under the 30day DOA policy at my local verizon store. I haven't had a single problem with the phone since.
    As I suspected. It never ceases to amaze me how many bad units there seem to be out there. Either QC at HTC must really suck, or maybe we will have to lower our expectations with regards to our cutting edge devices. I had only one 600 and now only one 700p, but some people have had to go through quite a few to get a good one.