Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got a Samsung WEP200 headset for my Treo 700p. I've only had it for a couple days, but my initial thought is wow!

This thing is tiny and light (only 9 grams). It fits easily into your ear, and since its so light you'll forget its there. Fast head movements won't cause it to fall out either. Since it fits inside your ear, it won't get in the way of sunglasses.

It comes with a small charger/carrying case that will protect it when its in your pocket from lint and damage. You charge it when its in the case by plugging the case into the wall charger. Full charging takes 2 hours.

For battery life, it is only rated for 4 hours talk time & 3 days standby, which has been fine for real world usage. I recharge my Treo every night & I will do the same for this headset. I am actually more concerned about the Treo battery life with typical daily use & bluetooth turned on.

It paired easily with the Treo, and it can be at least 10 feet away from the phone with absolutely no interference/static. Having the phone on the opposite side of me from the headset didn't matter (unlike the Motorola H700).

The best part is that the volume is excellent! I only need the Treo volume set to the middle level. All my Treo bluetooth volume problems are now a thing of the past.

For me the jury is still out on the following points:

1. Mic Volume - since this headset is so small the mic is not near your mouth, so I'm getting mixed reviews on outgoing voice quality from people who call me. Most people I've talked with so far aren't used to bluetooth headsets, though, so compared to other bluetooth headsets I'm not sure how to gauge this. There also is no DSP or noice cancelling capability in this headset, so background noise in my loud car is obvious. Everybody tells me they can understand me just fine, but background noise is also heard.

2. Renewing Connection - if the headset gets out of range of the phone & then gets back into range (if for example I walked down the hall without the phone) I have noticed that it may not be reconnecting without me first turning off & on the headset. I need to test this further to verify & isolate the situation.

Overall I think this may be the best headset I've found. So far the two potential issues above are comparatively minor. I would definitely give this headset a 10 for comfort/fit, a 10 for design/appearance (it looks cool for what that's worth & comes with a carrying case), and a 10 for speaker volume (amazing). I'll update this post later regarding the two open questions I have listed above. I think if Samsung's next generation of this headset has DSP & noise cancelling included it will be the perfect headset!

I found some recent review links as well for this headset at:

http://blog.treonauts.com/

and

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_WEP2...g=links;review
    My friend has this headset for his A900 and it looks to be a great headset, however, it seems to have an echo effect. The microphone tends to pickup the noise from the speaker, causing me to hear an echo of myself whenever I talk to him. I had a similar experience with the Nokia HS-26w. Great headset, but it had to go because of the echo.
    This guy on Treonauts has totally biased reviews! He thinks all bluetooth headsets are great...
  4.    #4  
    Okay its been over a week now that I've had this headset, and I can speak to the two points I had outstanding:

1. Mic volume & outgoing sound quality - outgoing sound quality is overall very good after a minor modification to the headset (more on that in a minute). My car is a 1995 model & is very loud, so the background noise when driving is unavoidable. I even tried a Jabra JX-10 for comparison & it sounded horrible to people because of the extreme noice cancellation it was attempting to do when I was driving. People told me the Jabra was making me sound metallic like Cher singing Do You Believe in Life After Love. Given my loud car I've decided DSP & noise cancellation definitely has some downsides, so I'm very glad this Samsung headset has neither. The modification I made had to do with the echo effect mentioned above by Trevante. There was an echo effect reported by some people I spoke with, but in looking at the headset up close I noticed a small pinhole on the underside neck of the ear speaker. Sure enough, sound was coming out of this and being picked up by the mic. I therefore put a tiny piece of tape over this hole & no more echo at all. So with the addition of a tiny piece of tape, I would give this headset a 9 of 10 in outgoing sound quality.

2. Renewing Connection - the headset simply does not automatically reconnect to the Treo after getting out of range. Luckily its range is very good so this tends not to happen accidentally, but be prepared to turn off/on the headset if it does.

My final thoughts: Overall I think this is an excellent headset, as long as you add the tiny piece of tape to cover the pinhole mentioned above. After this slight mod, the only con is the connection renewal issue. I can live with this as a tradeoff for sound quality and comfort. I would give this headset an overall 9 of 10. The other headsets I tried during this process of finding a headset are the Motorola H700, Jabra JX-10, and the Nokia BH-900. The Samsung WEP-200 in my opinion is the clear winner.
    Thanks for the review.
    I'll have to add that the WEP200 works really well with the 650. The volume is great and the range is the best that I've ever seen. It's odd because the headset is so small but it must have a good BT radio.

Connection lag is almost zero and it kills the 655 in terms of outgoing sound quality. It's also better than the JX10 in a quiet environment because it doesn't have DSP. I haven't tested it in the car yet.

Comfort isn't the greatest, but it's not bad. Jabra eargels fit the WEP200 but they made the sound muffled/muddy. The stock earpieces sound a lot better but aren't as comfortable for my ears.

I havne't had any echo complaints yet, but I'll try the tape trick if anyone mentions the echo.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I just picked up one of these headsets off of ebay. I was wondering if any of you that has this headset could comment on the incoming sound quality. I believe mine could have a bad speaker. It almost sounds like a car speaker that has been played too loud and busted the speaker. The incoming sound almost sounds like it has a little vibration. I might be spoiled because the incoming sound on my JX10 is so good. If everyone did not complain so much about the outgoing sound of the JX10 it would be the perfect headset. When testing the outgoing sound on the Samsung Wep200 I was very pleased with the quality of it. Maybe the speaker is just bad and I can get it replaced. If anyone has both the JX10 and Samsung Wep200 I would really appreciate your comments on incoming sound.
  8.    #8  
    I consider the incoming sound to be great on the WEP200, so I would suggest getting a replacement one based on what you're hearing. I tried the JX10 and I thought incoming sound quality was just as good if not even better on the WEP200.

You may also want to try adjusting the phone volume control rather than the one on the headset. I keep the headset volume down somewhat low and instead control volume mainly from my phone's volume controls.

Hope this helps!!
    The signal on the WEP200 is easily the best of any headset that I've used. It's amazing especially when you consider how small it is.

Just tonight I was upstairs and placed a call. It connected but I couldn't hear the other party. I noticed that the phone had connected to the WEP200 which was downstairs, on the other side of the house, in my car, in the garage! What's even more incredible is that I placed the call with a Treo 650 which is known to have a BT range of about 3 feet.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Thanks for answering my questions. I tried the headset today at work and it is not usable. I must have a bad one. I am going to try and send it back. Does anyone know if any brick and mortar stores carry this headset? It would make it a lot better if I have to exchange another one. So far I have only saw it on internet sites.
    I might have to try this headset... I have the RazrH3 headset and it loooks great but I have little ears so it falls off if I lean my head back.... and it hurts the top of my ear after a while... and the incoming volume is soft... basically it's starting to suck... I wanted to wait for the H5 MiniBlue from Motorola (the in-ear headset that has the mic in the earpiece so it picks up your voice through the ear canal)but it may or may not even come out... I also wanted to try the Nokia BH-800.. but I couldn't justfy the price though I've heard its sound quality is beyond compare and it's TINY.... but until I get a phone with better bluetooth I'm not going to invest nearly $200... though I've wasted more than that trying to find one good headset
    The sound quality on the BH800 is pretty bad. The outgoing sound is too muffled.
    Great thread. I may have to pick up one of these.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I ordered one of these, and have desparately been trying to figure out how to get it to fit in my ear and stay. Does it actually fit in people's ear canals? Even the small piece doesnt work to stay, I can't figure out what the extra little flap is supposed to wedge against either.

In the mean time I've grabbed my old Jabra ear gel from my old wired headset, and it works fine, but then you have to remove it whenver you recharge it. I'd rather just used the ear pieces provided...

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sasq View Post
    I ordered one of these, and have desparately been trying to figure out how to get it to fit in my ear and stay. Does it actually fit in people's ear canals? Even the small piece doesnt work to stay, I can't figure out what the extra little flap is supposed to wedge against either.

In the mean time I've grabbed my old Jabra ear gel from my old wired headset, and it works fine, but then you have to remove it whenver you recharge it. I'd rather just used the ear pieces provided...

Thanks.
    If you are going to wear it in the left ear angle the loop at the ten oclock position. Thats with the headset lying flat with the ear piece at the top. and the charging contacts at the bottom. Put the loop at the two oclock position if you are going to wear it in the right ear. There is a picture on page 25 of the book that came with it.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Just so people know My local Compusa store has them , just in case they do have 21 day return policy

Price is steep compared with ebay etc $89
    Last edited by sjjones; 08/29/2006 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    Just so people know My local Compusa store has them , just in case they do have 21 day return policy

Price is steep compared with ebay etc $89

Thanks for posting the "brick and mortar" find. It's not yet on CompUSA's website. My first headset was purchased there; a Logitech Mobile Freedom.
    Pros: Excellent audio in and out except for some wi-fi crackling. Very good range. Very secure.
    Cons: Large and uncomfortable after 20 minutes.
    The earloop broke off and was not repairable.
    I went back to find a lighter and smaller version called the Mobile Traveller.
    Pros: Excellent audio in and slightly more comfort than the Freedom.
    Cons: Audio out was faint.
    I returned it and picked up the Discovery 640 at Fry's for $90.
    Pros: Excellent audio in and out in quiet environments. Very small and light. Could charge it with Treo charger or BlackBerry charger.
    Cons: Audio out poor in noisy environments and wind. Ear gel did not fit my ear and the included loop caused the mic end to flare out. Only a 10 foot range.
    I returned it and found that CompUSA had two $40 rebates on the Jabra JX10, so I tried it for 2 weeks.
    Pros: Good fit and secure after major bending of the earloop. No complaints about audio out. Beautiful design, very light and very small. USB charging cable included.
    Cons: No eargel included. Speaker distorted. Range only 10-12 feet.
    I returned it. Judging from the reviews so far, the WEP200 looks promising. I only wish it had a mic that suppresses wind noise. I'm willing to try it though. For myself, sound quality and fit are the highest priority. I hope that CompUSA will also stock the Cardo Scala 700. I'd like to give that one a try too.
    Last edited by azxcpt; 08/31/2006 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Mostly inserting spaces.
    Treo 650 on Sprint / Palm Case / 1 GB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    The CUSA stores that do have them are in Paramus NJ

1 store "had" 3 the other 1
    I just got my WEP200 yesterday and like many others I'm struggling to get it to fit my ear. I'm switching from a Treo headset which fit great, but the sound quality and volume on the WEP200 is definitely better. Based on the TC review I thought it had different sized ear "hooks", and the two spares are labeled "M" and "L", but for the life of me I can't tell any difference. I figured at first that the one that came on the headset would be small, M would be medium and L would of course be large. With the original one the headset stayed put well at first, but after about 30-45 min. of wearing it it was falling out all of the time. I switched to the one marked L and even though it looks exactly the same it did feel a bit bigger when I put it on, but now that I've been wearing it for a bit I think that was just my mind playing tricks on me, its falling out again. I suppose I'll have to try one of those ear gel things or something. I wear my headset all day long, usually only taking it off to take a break if it starts hurting my ear. Right now I'm getting worried that I won't be able to do that with this headset.

Can someone confirm or refute whether these 3 "hooks" really are supposed to be different sizes? The manual that came with the headset only talks about 2 spares, nothing about different sizes.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat View Post
    Can someone confirm or refute whether these 3 "hooks" really are supposed to be different sizes? The manual that came with the headset only talks about 2 spares, nothing about different sizes.
    Can't confirm it, but I presumed the same thing. I've tried the Jabra gels with the WEP200 and they do fit and it stays in place. I didn't notice any difference in sound with them(they weren't blocking the speaker). The only problem and the one I'm not sure I can get past, is that I have to take the Gel earpiece off to charge it. With it on it won't fit in the charger.

Still haven't decided if I will keep it or send it back.
    It is more important to affix the blame, than it is to fix the problem
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast