1.    #1  
    I have never had back-up software before on my Treo 600, although, I never had a phone failure. I am now on my second 700p. I would probably never back up to a card (aptop is with me all the time). My question is do I need back-up software, or is the standard hotsync back-up sufficient, if I plan on restoring from my laptop. When I received my second 700p, I did a clean install, because I was Leary of some corrupt files. With alot of the 700p problems, I am concerned, I may have to replace mine again.

I want a restore to be as simple as possible, I am starting to load more software on my phone.

If back up software for backing up to the PC is recommended, I guess I would like to know which would be a good program to choose, and why, if anyone has some suggestions.
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I'm curious why you'd never want to backup to the card? Card space is very cheap these days. The backups don't take that much space. They can be encrypted and be run on a schedule. When restored, your device is identical (or nearly so) to when the backup was made. I use NVBackup (free) on my 700p, but I used to use BackupMan in my 600 days. Both have saved me enormous pain, and they don't require a computer to be around to do the restore. In fact, I've only hotsync'd once and that was just to make sure my device had a Hotsync ID for program registrations. I guess I'm the opposite of you, trying to never, ever use the hotsync ...

From what I recall, there are things that the hotsync doesn't backup, as well as things that it can't backup. I don't think there's any other device-to-PC backup, so if you're insistent on backup only to a PC, I think hotsync is the only available avenue.
    My experience with all Palm devices - Treos and my previous PDAs, is this: Restoring from the card is EASY, restoring from a PC is a pain (often incomplete, requiring registrations, etc. I think its like the difference between restoring a system from a "ghost" image, and doing a bastardized reinstall when using your PC.
  4.    #4  
    Interesting, from both the comments, You guys are backing up to card. I just never thought that it was viable option, figured that back-ups to the pc were more secure. I may take your suggestions. I guess it would realy be great if there were a program that would back-up to both on a scheduled basis.
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    well I dont know about BOTH on a scheduled basis but BackupBuddy for the POS has a scheduler in it. I set mine to back up to my SD card at like 3am. It restores so easily its comical and such a sense of relief when it does!

As to the desktop side its set to backup on every hotsync I do. It backsup both the units memory AND my cards memory.

Ive heard but not tried their new service of wireless server based backups. Its done thru your phone over the net to their servers.

check them out...

www.bluenomad.com
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  6.    #6  

I think I will consider back-up buddy
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    You'll be greatful that you backed up to a card when you are out and about, far away from your PC, and your phone goes haywire in an endless loop. You can do a hard reset and back up from the card in a matter of minutes.
    I backup to both and am currently using two backup programs for the SD backups, BackupManager and Resco Backup. For the backup to the laptop, I use BackupBuddy.

Backup Buddy because of a one time problem with Resco Backup and Resco Backup 'cause it restores Java.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo
    I have never had back-up software before on my Treo 600, although, I never had a phone failure. I am now on my second 700p. I would probably never back up to a card (aptop is with me all the time). My question is do I need back-up software, or is the standard hotsync back-up sufficient, if I plan on restoring from my laptop. When I received my second 700p, I did a clean install, because I was Leary of some corrupt files. With alot of the 700p problems, I am concerned, I may have to replace mine again.

I want a restore to be as simple as possible, I am starting to load more software on my phone.

If back up software for backing up to the PC is recommended, I guess I would like to know which would be a good program to choose, and why, if anyone has some suggestions.
    To me there are THREE types of Treo users:

1. Those that have experienced catastrophic failure and had a backup plan

2. Those that have not experienced a catastrophic failure and have no backup plan.

3. Those who have not experienced a catastrophic failure and have a backup plan.

I have been in ALL these categories at one time or another. Usually catastrophy strikes when you are out and away from a computer and you get the infamous loop reset. In order to stop the loop you do a hard reset and all your data is GONE. Unless you work out of the home you will then have a plain vanilla phone with no information. Depending on your comfort level this may not be bad. I rely on my phone as a part of my practice and cannot live without it.

To me there is simply NO excuse for not backing up. If you have the $$$ there are multiple solutions available and have been addressed elsewhere in these forums. These include BackupBuddyVFS, Resco Backup, BackupMan, TealBackup of which my favorite is Resco Backup. If you are on the cheap and want to pay nothing then NVBackup is another option for free.

I agree with others here that SD cards are cheap today and there is no reason to not backup. It is such a pleasure to not be tethered to a computer. Let me give you a real life story of how this is important. About a year ago I was on a cruise and had my phone and a charger. For reasons that are not clear I returned to my room to find the phone recycling and the only way out of it was by a hard reset. I had very important flight and hotel information on the phone and all would have been lost. But in about 2 minutes, using Resco I had a phone returned to the way it was and resumed the fun I was having.

Hope that this helps you and I admire your good fortune in never having this happen to you. You are truly in the far periphery of the bell shaped curve for such things.

Regards,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    I backup to both and am currently using two backup programs for the SD backups, BackupManager and Resco Backup. For the backup to the laptop, I use BackupBuddy.

Backup Buddy because of a one time problem with Resco Backup and Resco Backup 'cause it restores Java.

Ben
    Could not agree more with the assessment of Resco. I have a great need for Java and it does restore it to full functionality and usefulness. I am a big fan and the support is fantastic.

Regards,

Jim
    I have the BackUpBuddy Bundle.....one program backs up to card and one to windows....I uninstalled the windows one as doing ROM updates with BUB for windows invites disaster.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks to all for your input, I will do some addtional legwork ,and update when I come to a conclusion.
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Backing up to a card makes sharing files and info easy between treo users. I gave my son my T650 when I got the T700 and we often trade info, files, photos etc. All we do is switch cards and copy over the desired files.