Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just a word of warning to anyone who is thinking of using the "Palm Tradeups" website to sell back their 650 or other device.

I used the site to get a quote - $145 for my 650 after I purchased my new Treo 700. Although I did read all the fine print, I guess I missed the part that said that the Treo had to be purchased ONLY through the Palm site (I purchased via the Sprint site).

Well, I got an email stating that they wouldn't honor the quote due to the fact that the 700 wasn't purchased via Palm. Ok - no problem, I understand. It's the next part that is so fun. They then said that not only would they not honor the quote - THEY WOULD RETURN THE 650 EITHER! That's right, they are going to keep it!

Before anyone jumps in with the "read the fine print" comments - I get that, I did. Buried in the T&Cs, they state that they may not be able to return your device. But seriously, to deny the quote then keep the unit? Standard business practice is to put both parties whole - the way they were before the transaction - if the transaction cannot be completed. Apparently not at Palm TradeUps. When I contacted them, offering to pay the return shipping - the general response was "too bad - we are keeping it." Nice.

So be careful - you are taking a BIG risk. They can quote you and number they want, then change it when they get the device. They can deny your quote and keep your device. YOU ARE AT THEIR MERCY. I would strongly recommend avoiding any dealings with these people.

Just a word of warning that hopefully will help people avoid this type of issue.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Wow I find this difficult to comprehend. Understanding that you 'missed' certain fine-prints, I cannot get that they're 'confiscating' your 650. Not only do you lose the quoted $145, if you get the unit back and sell it in eBay you could have fetched $250 and up! So they just robbed your $250+!

I hope you're still fighting with them without giving up.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    It sounds like you could call one of your local radio stations and ask them to help you with this if all else fails...

That is one of the worst cases I've heard of yet! Close to highway robbery IMHO. I don't mean to get you all stirred up though, a patient and systematic approach should retrieve your old Treo.
  4.    #4  
    I find it amazing as well. I can understand the part where they won't accept the 650 (for reasons I listed abaove). It's the "we won't return it" part that really pisses me off. Next step is to file complaints with the State Attorney General and BBB.
    That really sucks! You need to file complaints with everyone, I would also jump on Palm for making them partners for this Trade In program. They should at least send you the 650 back...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Fight for it!

That's just not right!
    diane
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino
    That really sucks! You need to file complaints with everyone, I would also jump on Palm for making them partners for this Trade In program. They should at least send you the 650 back...
    Well - I'm hoping that they will come to their senses and return the 650. If not, in addition to telling everyone I know, I'm going to pursue this via Palm, BBB, etc. I'm just so annoyed that they are behaving this way...
    That's ridiculous... There's no way this contract would stand up in ANY court. This violates every known principle of contract law in ANY state. You need to call Palm and threaten them with a class action lawsuit if they don't return your device, and do as you're doing - report them to state consumer affairs agencies, BBB, etc. If this has happened to anyone else, then try and work together - the more people (and the higher the dollar amount of damages, hint hint) then the more likely something will happen. Thanks for posting this issue, and until this gets sorted out, I would obviously advise anyone considering using this program NOT to.

Javier
    That is unlawful. It doesn't matter what they have in the fine print, they can't keep your treo just because they feel like it.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    I completely agree with the above 2 posters. Not a chance they get to convert your property after disqualifying you from a trade-in program.

The company responsible is Powertrade LLC, located in Norcross, Georgia. Here is the information you need:

Paul Robinson
    CEO, Powertrade, Inc.
    probinson@powertradeus.com

If he won't help you, try the Georgia Attorney General:

State of Georgia Attorney General
    40 Capitol Square
    Atlanta, GA 30334
    Phone: (404) 656-3300
    (404) 656-3380
    Fax: (404) 651-7676
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark
    I completely agree with the above 2 posters. Not a chance they get to convert your property after disqualifying you from a trade-in program.

The company responsible is Powertrade LLC, located in Norcross, Georgia. Here is the information you need:

Paul Robinson
    CEO, Powertrade, Inc.

40 Capitol Square
    Atlanta, GA 30334
    (404) 656-3380
    Damn dcp thats good lookin!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Wow, another poster in the "Treo General Chat" section has the same problem! You guys should team up! http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=121318.

BTW, understanding that you didn't buy the new phone from Palm, there should be some value, probably not $145, for your trade-in. Did they just simply tell you your phone doesn't worth a dime??
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    According to Powertrade, they received my Treo 650 and all the necessary paperwork from me on June 21, however, here it is August 1 and I have not received my rebate check although they advertised their payment as "within 30 days from the time your product is received and inspected". I have called them three times and they have confirmed that my check has not even been cut yet and will only tell me that my payment is "in process" and will not address why the check has not yet been cut.

Furthermore, I have a big problem with how this was advertised and presented by Palm. Unless you look closely, it appears that this is a Palm trade in program, however, in reality, it not a trade in program but an opportunity for you to purchase a 700p from Palm and then sell your 650 to Powertrade. Palm severely misleads the readers on their website by misrepresenting this as a "trade-in" program and then pulls the bait and switch maneuver. Now that I can't get my money from Powersave, Palm refuses to take ownership of the issue and has basically said that "you did business with another entity and so its between you and the other entity."

Consider the following. The rebate offer is posted on the Palm website here:

http://web.palm.com/promos/trade_in.jhtml

with the following language:

* Visit palm.tradeups.com
    * Tell us about the product you want to trade
    * We'll give you a quote (including shipping costs)
    * If you accept the quote, just give us a little more information and we'll send you a prepaid shipping label
    * Tell us about the product you want to trade
    * We'll give you a quote (including shipping costs)
    * If you accept the quote, just give us a little more information and we'll send you a prepaid shipping label

Now, please remember that the above is quoted from the Palm website with Palm using the words: we, we'll, us. Then when you click on the link you go to the Powertrade site which is entitled "Palm Trade-In Program". The only hint that you are not doing business with Palm is the inclusion of the following trailer to the page's heading: "in alliance with Powertrade powered by Market Velocity". You aren't even officially notified that you are actually not doing business with Palm until you get and accept the quote for the trade in.

This is a classic Bait and Switch tactic and I am shocked that Palm has lowered itself to such standards. They marketed this as a trade-in program when, in fact, it is nothing of the kind. It is simply a very misleading advertisement on their website for you to sell your 650 to another entity after you buy your 700p from Palm. Furthermore, Palm represents itself as the trade-in vendor on the palm.com website page that refers you to Powertrade. Then, afterwards when problems occur, Palm refuses to take ownership of their role in the transaction.

bigDee is right on the money. This is an unlawful marketing practice and a classic bait and switch tactic that could get Palm in lots of trouble.

FYI,

Gordon
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon_Dickens
    Then when you click on the link you go to the Powertrade site which is entitled "Palm Trade-In Program". The only hint that you are not doing business with Palm is the inclusion of the following trailer to the page's heading: "in alliance with Powertrade powered by Market Velocity". You aren't even officially notified that you are actually not doing business with Palm until you get and accept the quote for the trade in.
    Well, at the bottom of the page (right below the 'get started' button) it has these text:

The Palm Trade-In program is a service provided by Powertrade, Inc. an independent third party. Palm is not involved in the transaction between Powertrade, Inc. and participants. Not all electronic devices eligible for trade in. U.S customers only. See complete terms and conditions

Anyway, I feel for you. Hope you'll have better luck with Powertrade to resolve your problem!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark

Paul Robinson
    CEO, Powertrade, Inc.

40 Capitol Square
    Atlanta, GA 30334
    (404) 656-3380
    You rock! Thanks - hopefully this will help.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc

BTW, understanding that you didn't buy the new phone from Palm, there should be some value, probably not $145, for your trade-in. Did they just simply tell you your phone doesn't worth a dime??
    Nope - they never said it was worthless, just that they wouldn't pay me and that they wouldn't return it either. No reason - just that their policy was not to return the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    Nope - they never said it was worthless, just that they wouldn't pay me and that they wouldn't return it either. No reason - just that their policy was not to return the Treo.
    Got to give you props - you are a lot calmer than I would be in this situation! Think I would be calling the police and file a police report as well as contact the State Attorney General. I would also be tempted to take a drive down to Norcross Georgia to pay them a visit up close and personal. I'd probably spend more on gas than the 650 was worth, but I'd get that 650 back. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    BBB complaint will get you action.

BTW, I once got into a situation with Sprint (billing mistake that they made) that I spend 3 months trying to straighten out and never did. I talked over a dozen managers and nobody would budge. I ended up paying them the $700 that they claimed I owed. On a whim, I filed a complaint with the BBB. I got a call from sprint government affairs division 3 days later saying they were investigating this complaint. After 3 minutes on the phone they gave me back my $700, plus gave me a $300 service credit as an apology.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Same here had a cataloug that gave me a 1 year member ship in something and it cost $125 . I called and they wouldnt listen then would never get through. Called the BBB in that state and a few weeks later got a refund.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by justleft
    Got to give you props - you are a lot calmer than I would be in this situation! Think I would be calling the police and file a police report as well as contact the State Attorney General. I would also be tempted to take a drive down to Norcross Georgia to pay them a visit up close and personal. I'd probably spend more on gas than the 650 was worth, but I'd get that 650 back. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    Believe me - this isn't over. I'm a little bored at work right now, so this will be my mission. BBB, State AG, Palm CEO, PowerTrade CEO, Troubleshooter website - all on my "to do" list (on my Treo!).
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast