Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    I think the idea of calling the BBB (if you don't receive the check as promised) is a great one.
    I'm thinking that too, along w/ planetfeedback.com too!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
  2.    #62  
    UPDATE:

Paul (CEO of PowerTrade) sent me an email asking that I update this site to reflect the latest status of my situation, so here it is: Paul sent an email stating that a check has been cut and will be sent out tomorrow (Friday). I will post here to let everyone know when I receive the check.

For all those with similar issues to mine, I urge you to email Paul [probinson@powertradeus.com] - he has been very responsive in getting this issue resolved. Again, I am very disappointed in the whole situation to begin with [my Treo should have been returned immediately when the quote was denied], but Paul is doing a good job of making it right.

I'll post when I get the check.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask Paul (CEO of PowerTrade) to post here and explain what's happening etc. More importantly he should write and show how he can gain the trust back from the Palm/Treo community as clearly none of us would trade in our units even if we follow the fine prints to the tee.

BTW, congrats in getting the issue resolved so quick!
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I registered a customer concern with Palm on Tuesday and sent an email yesterday (Wednesday) to the CEO of Powertrade about my rebate which is now 43 days old since they received the 650 and all necessary paperwork (13 days past due). Palm called me back today at 5:30PM to say that the issue is resolved and that my check will be cut tomorrow by Powertrade. I also received the following email from the CEO of Powertrade at 7:45PM: "Your check is being issued tomorrow and will go out via US mail Tomorrow...I apologize for the inconvenience. Paul".

So, my issue is resolved assuming that Powertrade follows through as they and Palm have promised. Quite frankly, while I was unhappy with the slow payment, I am quite impressed by both Palm and Powertrade in how quickly they resolved this. So, kudos to both the CEO of Powertrade and to Palm.

FYI,

Gordon Dickens
    Last edited by Gordon_Dickens; 08/03/2006 at 10:12 PM.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon_Dickens
    So, my issue is resolved assuming that Powertrade follows through as they and Palm have promised. Quite frankly, while I was unhappy with the slow payment, I am quite impressed by both Palm and Powertrade in how quickly they resolved this. So, kudos to both the CEO of Powertrade and to Palm.
    Agreed. Paul has really stepped up when other companies these days seem to be so unresponsive [cough, verichat, cough].
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon_Dickens
    I registered a customer concern with Palm on Tuesday and sent an email yesterday (Wednesday) to the CEO of Powertrade about my rebate which is now 43 days old since they received the 650 and all necessary paperwork (13 days past due). Palm called me back today at 5:30PM to say that the issue is resolved and that my check will be cut tomorrow by Powertrade. I also received the following email from the CEO of Powertrade at 7:45PM: "Your check is being issued tomorrow and will go out via US mail Tomorrow...I apologize for the inconvenience. Paul".

FYI,

Gordon Dickens
    I also got this email from Mr. Robinson... Seems like there may well have been a problem indeed... We'll seewhen the check gets here!!! He is responsive. I've got to give him that much!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Interesting thread. This should be a sticky!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    That way it can be used as a warning for others. I am pretty sure that PALM and other companies read these forums too and will not want the bad publicity. Just a thought. God Bless
    Guys please let Palm know about these issues. I'm sure they won't continue to do business with Powertrade, if they know how Powertrade is screwing Palm customers.
  10.    #70  
    I want to see if I actually receive my check first...
    There might be resolution in sight for me too. When I sent Powertrade an email, I cc'd Palm. Later that day, a Palm rep left a voicemail insisting everything was above board and adequately documented on their website. Even so, Palm intervened and found that my old Treo had not yet reached the Powertrade warehouse and that, when it did arrive, it would be "refused" and FedEx would return it to me. Then on Friday, Paul Robinson sent me the same email everyone's been getting that says a check is in the mail. So I'm not sure what's coming, as long it's something. Good for Palm and Powertrade for getting on the case.

But. There should not have been a case to get on in the first place. The fact that so many of us found ourselves in the same situation should alert both firms that the documentation about the offer is inadequate. And the only reason they've responded so well is because of the clamor started in this thread. At least judging by the stories we've heard here, the prior default was to confiscate the Treos and say tough luck, and that's just plain wrong. Nevertheless, I still don't see any change in the way the offer is made on the Palm website. Others will inevitably have the same problem and I hope that Paul Robinson and Powertrade will still be as responsive. For now, I will stay far, far away from the Palm Store.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    The problem that I see is that the people on this forum that complained may be getting their items back or money. We will see. How about all the other people that are NOT part of this forum ?? I am have a hunch that there are probably quite a few people that are in the same situation and will probably not get anything back, small print or not, that is just plain not fair as it is robbery as it will be money in their pockets for both Palm and PowerTrade. Using the excuse it was writen in small print is wrong. They should try and safeguard that people do understand that this trade is ONLY for Treos bought ONLY from Palm and NOT from anywhere else. This should be written on their site and on several places on plain view. God BLess
    Hey ksmith80209 -

Just wanted to congratulate on such a well written email to the CEO. Very professional and persuasive. I'm sure that was a factor in their quick and favorable responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    Just a word of warning to anyone who is thinking of using the "Palm Tradeups" website to sell back their 650 or other device.

I used the site to get a quote - $145 for my 650 after I purchased my new Treo 700. Although I did read all the fine print, I guess I missed the part that said that the Treo had to be purchased ONLY through the Palm site (I purchased via the Sprint site).

They said my check was mailed out friday
    Well, I got an email stating that they wouldn't honor the quote due to the fact that the 700 wasn't purchased via Palm. Ok - no problem, I understand. It's the next part that is so fun. They then said that not only would they not honor the quote - THEY WOULD RETURN THE 650 EITHER! That's right, they are going to keep it!

Before anyone jumps in with the "read the fine print" comments - I get that, I did. Buried in the T&Cs, they state that they may not be able to return your device. But seriously, to deny the quote then keep the unit? Standard business practice is to put both parties whole - the way they were before the transaction - if the transaction cannot be completed. Apparently not at Palm TradeUps. When I contacted them, offering to pay the return shipping - the general response was "too bad - we are keeping it." Nice.

So be careful - you are taking a BIG risk. They can quote you and number they want, then change it when they get the device. They can deny your quote and keep your device. YOU ARE AT THEIR MERCY. I would strongly recommend avoiding any dealings with these people.
    eck was m
    Just a word of warning that hopefully will help people avoid this type of issue.
    they said my check was mailed out friday

I guess we will wait and see
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by timeshifter
    Hey ksmith80209 -

Just wanted to congratulate on such a well written email to the CEO. Very professional and persuasive. I'm sure that was a factor in their quick and favorable responses.
    Thank you. Today should be the day - if they mailed the check Friday, I should get it this morning. We shall see...
    I emailed them yesterday and got a response that they were looking into why I hadn't received my check yet. I then called powertrade this morning and they said that it was already sent to escalation since the check should have been sent out July 16th, and I would hear back from them soon.
    Jimmie Geddes
    First one who gets a check - please post! We need to see if they are on the up an up.
    The email I got was actually from Palm, and they stated that they would be inquiring about my issue and would be getting back to me. I feel confident from that email and when I called being told that it showed my case was being escalated. I'll post once I hear anything.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jimmie, I am sure that Palm is being straight with you. The company I am questioning is Powertrade. The issues raised in this thread are very concerning - specifically about Powertrade not returning property if it isn't eligible for the rebate. These are expensive devices - takes guts to have that kind of policy.

An interesting question for Powertrade would be how many Treo's have you taken in, but not sent checks out to customers? They should know that number as it could indicate another issue.
    I hear ya, I'm concerned after reading that someone has been told that they wouldn't receive their device back. I am glad Palm is getting involved with this, I don't see how Powetrade can keep these devices without sending people their checks, it seems criminal.
    Jimmie Geddes
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast