Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bheuss
    Unless it's just two guys operating out of a basement.
    Sometimes I wish there are just two guys operating out of a basement. At least you get some 'personal' service and response. Departmentalized corporations with poor infrastructure and management lose to mom-and-pop shops because of the unmatched service and care being offerred.

I really wish Palm and Palm Tradeups can clean up this mess - soon.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  2.    #42  
    Ok - here's the latest. Last night I sent an email to the CEO of PowerTrade (thanks DPCMark for the contact info!). This morning I got a response back from the CEO that he was contacting Palm for a waiver and could offer me either a check or a Treo 650 (though not my orginal 650) - my choice. He later emailed me to inform me that Palm had granted the waiver and that a check will go out tomorrow (Thursday). I have to admit that, although they had a pretty rough start there (and this never should have happened like this), PowerTrade was [eventually] responsive and polite about the matter.

Thanks to everyone for their great advice - especially DCPMark for the addresses that got the job done.

I'll post a follow-up if anything changes.
    Last edited by ksmith80209; 08/02/2006 at 04:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    Paul at PowerTrade was very responsive and polite about the matter.
    From hell to go by first name, it's been a thrill ride! I'm glad that you get such a positive result afterall!
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc
    From hell to go by first name, it's been a thrill ride! I'm glad that you get such a positive result afterall!
    Hmmm... Don't get the impression that I don't think that this whole thing wasn't VERY shady. I think the business practices were deplorable and they feel more than a little unethical to me.

The use of the first name was for the sake of clarity only. In fact, I think I'l edit that out of the other post...
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    The use of the first name was for the sake of clarity only. In fact, I think I'l edit that out of the other post...
    Don't worry about it! I was just teasing a bit given the thread has stirred up some emotions lately.
    Besides, the CEO (Paul) himself does deserve credit to handle the matter himself in such a fast manner. I sincerely hope that his company takes this seriously and handle the problems of other posters as well.
  6.    #46  
    FYI - here's the text of the email I sent to PowerTrade. Maybe it will help someone else out there...

Dear Sir -

On approximately June 7, 2006 I submitted a request to your company to trade-in my Treo 650 and received a quote of $145 for the device. I subsequently mailed the device to your company and was notified that my device was received and was being inspected.

On July 31, 2006 I received an email from your company stating that "Purchases must be made at the Palm.com web store only. Your purchase was made at Sprint and is therefore ineligible." Fine - although I did purchase a Treo 700 online, I understand that it is your policy to only accept trades when the Treo 700 was purchased from Palm.

My problem is what happened next. When I inquired about getting my unacceptable Treo 650 back, I was told that my device was now your property and would not be returned. During two phone calls and several emails, I was told that the policy was not to return any Treos. This is unacceptable. I understand that you cannot offer me the quoted amount for my 650 - I have no issue with that. However, since you have declined execute this business contract in whole, I am canceling my offer to trade my Treo and I would like my property returned to me immediately.

I am sure that you agree that keeping property for which you did not provide compensation is wrong. I would like to resolve this matter quickly and with the least disruption to either of us and as such, I will work with you in what ever capacity is required - paying shipping costs, etc - to get my Treo 650 returned in an expeditious manner.

Thank you,
    So which are you going to pick - the Treo 650 or the $150? Just curious...

Javier
  8.    #48  
    The $150. I don't want to take a gamble on what "quality"of 650 I'm going to receive back. Mine was flawless, so better to just be done with it.
    Good choice & congrats....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I Followed KSmiths's approach and got an instantaneous response from Paul Robinson. I was so sure I had been totally screwed--but I am happy to report that Mr. Robinson promised to put my check in the mail tomorrow!
    what number are you guys calling? I got an email a few weeks ago telling me they received my Treo, and would be sending me a check for $150, I still haven't gotten anything. Can you guys give me the number you called? Thanks in advance.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I think both of them tried to email Paul Robinson who's the CEO of Powertrade:
    Paul Robinson
    CEO, Powertrade, Inc.
    probinson@powertradeus.com
    thanks.
    Jimmie Geddes
    This whole thing looked like trouble from the day Palm started promoting it.

First, measly $150 bucks for perfect Treo 650. You can barely find them in the stores now, not to mention the 700p's...

Second, too much fine print with a lot of easy-to-miss details (highly expensive ones!).

Third, a non-Palm company is using the "Palm" name (all $30 million worth) and Palm is heavily promoting it - *BUT* Palm claims to have "nothing to do with it." Wouldn't take a genius lawyer to find some problems with that arrangement - Palm is a trademark and heavily protected (they license out the name if I recall). Their fine print probably doesn't protect them from the illusion they've created that it's something to do with them. Heck - it involves *their* store!

4th, you need to use the Palm store at Palm to buy your 700p, but the way they word it (and apparently the way Palm's reps have sent some people to the carriers for this promotion) taints the whole mess.

Palm should never have been involved with this, and never lent their name to this deal to give the illusion that it was something to do with them. It *does* involve their store -- so a case could probably be made that they are using that promotion for their own gain by confusing people into purchasing a 700p with false hopes of getting money back for their 650 - after all Palm makes money wherever you buy your 700p.

And setting it up so that this company keeps your Treo 650 if you fell for the poorly done promotion just welcomes a class-action lawsuit. If the fair market value of the 650's were about $250.00 if you sold them on your own, it's pretty apparent why the President of that company is playing nice-nice if you contact him directly. Return postage is a hell of a lot cheaper than paying lawyers and making people whole (especially if you've thrown out or converted their property to your own under such flimsy reasoning).

Perhaps not intentional, but this whole matter reeks of constructive fraud, and I hope the 2 companies clean up this mess they've made. Next time offer a free SD card and/or headset like before, and let people deal with Craigslist, Fleabay or what-have-you to get rid of their old handsets.

This is really sad - shame on both companies. A quick letter from your attorney will probably clear up the matter, several will probably discourage a repeated "promotion." I suggest printing a few screenshots of the promotion pages - you may need them.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Taking the money was the best choice. After all, where would they have gotten the 650 - from someone else that sent theirs in, didn't get a refund, and had their phone kept by this company?

Please let us know when you receive your check. The check is in the mail - hope that's the truth.

The $150. I don't want to take a gamble on what "quality"of 650 I'm going to receive back. Mine was flawless, so better to just be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc
    I think both of them tried to email Paul Robinson who's the CEO of Powertrade:
    Paul Robinson
    CEO, Powertrade, Inc.
    probinson@powertradeus.com
    Thanks to dcpmark, & ksmith80209, I got motivated & shot off an email to Mr. Robinson, as August 3rd is the 30-day mark from when they acknowledged receiving my Treo 650.

In my case, I purchased a Palm TX DIRECTLY from Palm's website, & fulfilled all the requirements to a T...

I'll keep you guys posted on what gets accomplished!!!

I'm sorta glad I'm not alone, but this sux!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    thanks for including the email Ksmith , i just copy and pasted it...lol saved me tons of time typing up my own i just changed the info that i needed on it.
    Wow! I read this post in disbelief! I didn't like the whole idea of this from the start. But now, it seems downright criminal! Keep us posted on the outcome!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    well I did receive a response from Mr. Robinson this morning, & he advises that the checks are issued w/in 30 days OF THE INSPECTION.

when I had previously emailed customer service regarding this same issue, they advised that the checks are cut w/in 30 days OF RECEIPT of unit.

Mr. Robinson states I should have my check w/in a week. We'll see!!!

He made no offer of a credit off a purchase off of Palm's website, like others had mentioned.

It's also odd to note, but the Palm Tradeups website listed in the sig in their email responses "Cannot be found"

Should I push the issue any further at this point guys???
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
  20.    #60  
    I think the idea of calling the BBB (if you don't receive the check as promised) is a great one.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast