Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    Just a word of warning to anyone who is thinking of using the "Palm Tradeups" website to sell back their 650 or other device.

I used the site to get a quote - $145 for my 650 after I purchased my new Treo 700. Although I did read all the fine print, I guess I missed the part that said that the Treo had to be purchased ONLY through the Palm site (I purchased via the Sprint site).

Well, I got an email stating that they wouldn't honor the quote due to the fact that the 700 wasn't purchased via Palm. Ok - no problem, I understand. It's the next part that is so fun. They then said that not only would they not honor the quote - THEY WOULD RETURN THE 650 EITHER! That's right, they are going to keep it!

Before anyone jumps in with the "read the fine print" comments - I get that, I did. Buried in the T&Cs, they state that they may not be able to return your device. But seriously, to deny the quote then keep the unit? Standard business practice is to put both parties whole - the way they were before the transaction - if the transaction cannot be completed. Apparently not at Palm TradeUps. When I contacted them, offering to pay the return shipping - the general response was "too bad - we are keeping it." Nice.

So be careful - you are taking a BIG risk. They can quote you and number they want, then change it when they get the device. They can deny your quote and keep your device. YOU ARE AT THEIR MERCY. I would strongly recommend avoiding any dealings with these people.

Just a word of warning that hopefully will help people avoid this type of issue.
    Thats so bad.

I haven't heard anything from them yet. My 650 was in almost perfect condition. I guess none of us will trust a offer like that anymore. I did purchase from the Palm web site. so I will have to just wait and see. That is highway robbery! Sorry, guess I may be in the same boat soon. I did write a letter saying that if they were not going to give me the quote to return my unit. I guess that is a big laugh. Small print can get us. That company will not get any business the next time this happen. All I can say now that I am sick! (for myself and you)
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    Thats so bad.

I haven't heard anything from them yet. My 650 was in almost perfect condition. I guess none of us will trust a offer like that anymore. I did purchase from the Palm web site. so I will have to just wait and see. That is highway robbery! Sorry, guess I may be in the same boat soon. I did write a letter saying that if they were not going to give me the quote to return my unit. I guess that is a big laugh. Small print can get us. That company will not get any business the next time this happen. All I can say now that I am sick! (for myself and you)
    I guess contact the BBB and also if you have a lawyer friend, have hime drop off a firm letter. Not that it will get you any where but give them some chest pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    It sounds like you could call one of your local radio stations and ask them to help you with this if all else fails...

That is one of the worst cases I've heard of yet! Close to highway robbery IMHO. I don't mean to get you all stirred up though, a patient and systematic approach should retrieve your old Treo.
    Or the local news.
    Another thing to try is the lcal television stations, they love investigating companies like this. the big four in GA (other then CNN) and there investigation contacts are http://www.11alive.com/whatson/contact/ -NBC
    http://www.wsbtv.com/contact/index.html -ABC
    http://www.cbs46.com/Global/story.asp?S=308594 CBS
    http://www.fox5atlanta.com/contactus/index.html -FOX E-mail them at IteamAtlanta@foxtv.com

NOTHING exciting happens in this sate so these guys are just sitting around investigating the most tedius and dull complaints you can imagine, I'm sure they'd all love to sink there teeth into something so insidius that is affliated with as big a company as PALM.

Don't let these jackasses get away with this. I seriously almost sent my phone off to these guys.
    Glad I found this thread--I am also a victim of this BS. I did get a followup e-mail from them:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Palm Trade-In Program.

The following is taken from the Terms and Conditions that you agreed to when you initiated your trade-in transaction:

Releasing rights to your traded product

"Once you send Powertrade, LLC your product, Powertrade, LLC cannot and does not guarantee that it will be able to honor any request for return of the product and/or any data or information contained in said product. In most cases, product cannot be returned." ( https://palm.tradeups.com/PalmTerms.asp?Palm=1 )

We have checked with Powertrade, LLC and they have confirmed that they are unable to return your item.

Because of the misunderstanding, and as a gesture of customer satisfaction, Powertrade, LLC will be sending you a $150 coupon. The coupon can be used towards the purchase of anything available at Palm.com.

If you have any additional questions, please contact us.

Palm Trade-In Customer Service
    ---------

But I still think this sucks. I am also contacting all of the above mentioned groups. This is absolutely criminal...
    I manage a trade-in program, not Palms, it is impossible to return product once it is received in the warehouse. Product serial number is captured and then the product is dispositioned (scraped).

I will say Palm website is pretty clear: http://web.palm.com/promos/trade_in.jhtml#

Simply purchase a new Treo™ smartphone from Palm.com or a Palm Retail Store (for locations click here),
    Buy a new smartphone or handheld:
    Purchase any new Treo smartphone from the Treo Store or a Palm Retail Store within 30 days
    Program Terms and Conditions: http://palm.tradeups.com/PalmTerms.asp?Palm=1
    Trade-in procedures

To participate in the Program, you must submit to Powertrade, LLC an accurate description of the product that you wish to trade in. In addition, you must ship the product using the pre-addressed, prepaid shipping label provided (please see Shipping Instructions). You must include your purchase receipt (invoice) for your new Palm handheld or Treo smartphone from Palm.com in the box with your trade-in product. Purchases must be made at the Palm.com web store only.
    Purchases can be made either 30 days prior to or 30 days following the date you receive your Trade-In Confirmation email with your assigned Quote number. Your proof of purchase from Palm.com must be received within 30 days from the date you received your Trade-In Confirmation email.
    This I find weird -- how can a quote be valid without proof of purchase? This is a Process Flaw. I am assuming PowerTrade is having issues with people not purchasing from Palm.com and returning product. Customer Service Nightmare....

Powertrade, LLC will, within thirty (30) days of receipt and acceptance of your product, send you a trade-in check based on the trade value. In order to receive your trade-in check, Powertrade, LLC must first receive and accept your traded product.
    Powertrade, you provided me with an invalid quote and accept my trade-in? They need to take some responsibility for their flawed process.

Once you send Powertrade, LLC your product, Powertrade, LLC cannot and does not guarantee that it will be able to honor any request for return of the product and/or any data or information contained in said product. In most cases, product cannot be returned.
    You provide me with an invalide quote, receive my product with no ability to return product --- politely ask for the quote to be honored or some restitution. Love this out, we can promise what we want but not honor anything.

Another nice out -

If the packing is in tact, but the product is not in the condition stated by you in the quote process, Powertrade will contact you directly to discuss the product's condition and renegotiate the quote value.
    If your current product(s) were received and through the inspection process, it was determined that the product condition was misrepresented by you, and there is no trade value. Powertrade reserves the right to charge you a recycling fee for the disposition of this product. If the product can be returned to you, you will be responsible for any and all associated shipping costs.
    I would write to PALM state the process is flawed as their business partner creates erronious quotes as they do not validate point of purchase prior to issue of the quote/rma. This is a customer service nightmare.

PowerTrade and PALM are covered in T&Cs. However, argue the quote creation process is flawed, you might get someone sympathetic to honor the quote. Hell, what is $150 to do the right thing.

Bottom line, you purchased a Treo 700P and sent back the 650 and that was the intent of the program.

Just my two cents..
    Last edited by GolfBallMan; 08/01/2006 at 11:51 PM.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfBallMan
    I manage a trade-in program, not Palms, it is impossible to return product once it is received in the warehouse. Product serial number is captured and then the product is dispositioned (scraped).
    Except they say right on the website that they re-furb and sell the units and that if they CAN'T sell it, they will charge you a "disposal fee" (good luck there...) My Treo 650 was nearly perfect.
    Except they say right on the website that they re-furb and sell the units and that if they CAN'T sell it, they will charge you a "disposal fee" (good luck there...) My Treo 650 was nearly perfect.
    Seriously, call Palm. Quote creation process is flawed. Assuming someone at Palm wanted to launch this program before the 700 was lshipping...hence the invoice/receipt could be dated 30 days post quote. They had to know this would be an issue.

Your not going to get the phone back as it is more than likely scraped -- "sell" means to scrapping vendors not for resale. Just ask for restitution of some sort.
  9.    #29  
    I'll call Palm today. I'll let everyone know what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by edelweiss
    Glad I found this thread--I am also a victim of this BS. I did get a followup e-mail from them:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Palm Trade-In Program.

The following is taken from the Terms and Conditions that you agreed to when you initiated your trade-in transaction:

"Once you send Powertrade, LLC your product, Powertrade, LLC cannot and does not guarantee that it will be able to honor any request for return of the product and/or any data or information contained in said product. In most cases, product cannot be returned." ( https://palm.tradeups.com/PalmTerms.asp?Palm=1 )

We have checked with Powertrade, LLC and they have confirmed that they are unable to return your item.

Because of the misunderstanding, and as a gesture of customer satisfaction, Powertrade, LLC will be sending you a $150 coupon. The coupon can be used towards the purchase of anything available at Palm.com.

If you have any additional questions, please contact us.

Palm Trade-In Customer Service
    ---------

But I still think this sucks. I am also contacting all of the above mentioned groups. This is absolutely criminal...

I guess someone needs to do a study or online questionaire about this issue?

1. Did you send you phone in
    2. Did you receive payment
    3. Did you receive email that they were keeping your phone.

Phone should take some responsibility for this otherwise Palm is going to be smeared again (maybe they should be for not taking care of their loyal users)
    That includes slow release of phone and how about the ones of us that have purchased the 700p and are they going to release the slim version with no antenna to us too but when? Jimmy from gadgetsonthego.net had a very good article on Palm
    I received 5 e-mails from palmcustermer service

first two, nearly identical, with shipping instructions and shipping label. No mention in these e-mails about their inability to retirn the unit or limitations on qualifying for the program

third e-mail after they recieved my unit, indicating they would inspect unit within 7 days

fourth e-mail a month later saying my unit was ineligible since I purchased from Verizon

fifth e-mail ins response to my questioning them, offering $150 coupon (two weeks ago), that I have not received.

What really makes me nuts is that in response to their ad, I originally called Palm to order the phone and take advantage of the program. THEIR service rep told me it would be easier for them if I ordered the phone directly from Verizon, since I already had an account!!! They never told me I would be ineligible for the rebate. Even if I had read the fine print, I still was assuming that I was getting the phone ultimately from Palm.
    I'm also a victim of this sham.

Found something interesting when i googled "powertrade robinson". Check out the last post:

http://www.contraversion.com/2006/01...-4th-party.php

I like the local TV station idea. Palm has worked hard to rebrand and gain marketshare against blackberry and other devices. Some negative press concerning shady trade-in programs to move units would certainly be a setback for them. I don't like the idea of punishing Palm when its Market Velocity/Powertrade that is screwing us over, but they must be held accountable for the actions of their partners.

Any TCers here with legal expertise?
    Same thing happened to me i send the receipt from Sprint they told me too bad it had to be purchased thru palm and they told me they had to review the transaction and did not know if they were going to be able to return my 650, i offered to pay for the return shipping and i have gotten anywhere.

If any of you guys are going to pursue this and need any info from me email me RickyBatista@Fastmail.us since im too lazy to pursue this myself, but hell i will join a class action suit .
    Last edited by rick2203; 08/02/2006 at 11:58 AM.
    Well - I'm hoping that they will come to their senses and return the 650. If not, in addition to telling everyone I know, I'm going to pursue this via Palm, BBB, etc. I'm just so annoyed that they are behaving this way...
    hey Ksmith whatever you plan on doing im there with you im on the same boat as you, same excuse i was given.
    The way the website is setup it is almost a certainty that *many* customers will miss the fact that their units have to be purchased from Palm or they will loose their Treos. The company must know this, and that gives one the clear impression that the outfit is not operating in good faith at all.
    Call your local TV news stations RIGHT NOW (ALL OF THEM). After that, then call BOTH Palm and PowerTrade and tell them that you already have an appointment with the local TV "consumer affairs" reporter, and that they going to do a story on you being taken advantage of. That should stir things up a bit...

Javier
  17.    #37  
    I may have news to report... I'll let everyone know as soon as I can.
    I may have news to report... I'll let everyone know as soon as I can.
    Any update? The silence is deafening...
    Ugh. I walked into the same trap. The "offer" had even expired because I waited too long but then they sent an email extending it. So last Friday I shipped my trusty 650 to these jokers. I just sent a polite email to show good faith but I'm geared up to push as hard as it takes. Palm sponsors this nonsense and I hope they will take an active interest in cleaning it up. Thanks to ksmith for getting this alert out.
    First, thanks to everyone for alerting us to this problem. I hope everything turns out well for all of you.

Second, it might not hurt to mention the incredibly poor reputation they now have with Palm users on this site (others?) because of their flawed process/unclear terms. I know I'll never do business with them, even if they make whole everyone who participates in their program.

Third, if this is the kind of thing that Palm is getting into bed with, it raises serious questions about Palm's integrity.

Local BBB, local news outlets/consumer advocates, contacting the heads of the companies, the attorney general - all good ideas.

Not being able to return/track the Treo you sent to them is a very weak excuse, esp. if you offer to pay return shipping. Slapping a bar code label or RFID lable on incoming units shouldn't be a huge hardship on them. Unless it's just two guys operating out of a basement.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast