Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Is there a current list of web browsers available for the Treo 650? The ones I know of so far are:

• Blazer (Of course this is the one that comes with the Treo. Renders pages well but is very, very slow)

• Xiino (Tried it, bought it -- and the day after I paid for it, I started getting soft resets while using it. Tried everything to resolve the problem (including uninstall/reinstall, a hard reset and a firmware upgrade) to no avail. Wrote Mobirus tech support several times with no reply).

• WebViewer (Apparently no longer available from the developer)

• Opera Mini (Installed and tried it on at least three separate occassions. Each time resulted in freezes, even after I did a hard reset and upgraded my firmware. Even tried the latest build that is supposed to have fixes specifically for the Treo 650.)

• WebPro (Not available for the 650)

I also found a bit of information about a couple other older browsers (Eudora and PocketLink), but there's been no development on either in the last few years (Eudora's last update was in 2001, and PocketLink in 2003). Neither looks like they are really made to take advantage of the Treo's abilities, nor the current technology. Anything else out there?

Thanks,
    Kim
    Which version of Blazer are you using? Blazer is pretty fast for me, compared to Opera Mini and Xiino.

I use Blazer v4.3.2.1. And it is pretty slow for me and has no idea what cache is (very annoying!!!). Also it cannot render some simple scripts which opera does. Xiino is also not good to render some pages and no full page view mode, but I have no problems with it, almost year use and no any reset. Occasionally I use Picsel but it is also not convenient at all, but can show most pages correctly. But does not use cache and disconnects data connection sometimes and always when you leave it. So... I wish I had internet explorer here
    Good call, Blazer 4.3 does not use cache very well, which makes pages I visit often slower than they need to be. What kind of scripts are you talking about, everything has been working fine here in that department. Blazer hardly ever causes any resets for me either...

I use WebPro all the time, works great on the 650
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Where did you get webpro that works on the 650?..The version I had worked on the 600, but couldn't get one to successfully work on the 650 that wouldn't cause resets etc.
    For example to send an SMS message from website www.beeline.ru I managed only with Picsel. When I click send button nothing happens in Blazer. Would be fine if they made Picsel for Treo. Yes, I also never had resets in Blazer or Xiino.

leardvr,
    WebPro is the same Blazer, right?
    Here is the WebPro link. Works great, did cause my phone to reset when I tried to enter my online banking site I thought it was a fluk, so I tried again with the same results. That's ok though, I have Splash Money to take care of that.

Have fun. BTW I have noticed that using FontSmoother and making Blazer into a smaller font seems to make it faster. I really can't think of a reason for that though, so maybe it's in my head.
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    I am using blazer and have no problem
    I have Opera Mini (latest version). It works fine for me. Initially I did have some issues with it freezing but I installed the treo's latest firmware and reinstalled Opera Mini and now its fine. Its kind of odd compared to other browsers though. It loads sites in segments and I assume thats why its faster. To see another part of a site you have to click the "next" button at the bottom or top of the page. The number of total pages is dependent on how complex the site is. Not bad though. I wouldnt waste money on other programs.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    That s kinda like that google speed website acts it give u a choice of pages nd image or no image on the bottom of the page
    Quote Originally Posted by DrIbe
    I have Opera Mini (latest version). It works fine for me. Initially I did have some issues with it freezing but I installed the treo's latest firmware and reinstalled Opera Mini and now its fine. Its kind of odd compared to other browsers though. It loads sites in segments and I assume thats why its faster. To see another part of a site you have to click the "next" button at the bottom or top of the page. The number of total pages is dependent on how complex the site is. Not bad though. I wouldnt waste money on other programs.
    This depends on the build you're using and your JVM preferences. Latest build is 2.0.4509, 20060704
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Got excited about Web Pro and then noticed the phone hanging after exiting and the SD cards not working anymore... What gives?
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Thanks Nik for posting it..

Using Treo 650 and using the posted WebPro 301, works but is a little flaky... anyone also notice this?

Thanks
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    I alternate between Xiino (primary use), Blazer, and Opera 2.0.

Make sure you are using a launcher program so that you have as many apps as you can on the SD card and NOT in ram.

Xiino works great for me because it's so FAST and keeps pages in cache. I mainly use it to look at forums and other text-based sites. In the Xiino prefs, make sure you set the cache to only use 1 meg or so. Anything larger will reset my phone sometimes.

Whenever I get a Xiino reset, I go to Options -> Clean up and click "all" on each item. Then I make sure the cache is small.

I go to techbargains.com a lot. Xiino has a "Find on page" feature so that I can find "Headline" and jump right to the headlines section on that site without having to scroll. Every now and then bringing up that site will cause a reset, but it seems like it's something that shows up on the site on that day that is causing it...
    Opera Mini needs to be installed via phone download to work correctly. Go to Blazer and go to http://mini.opera.com

I had freeze-up problems too. After I reinstalled Opera Mini via phone, all is well.
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1
    That s kinda like that google speed website acts it give u a choice of pages nd image or no image on the bottom of the page

Is anyone else annoyed by the fact Google has taken it upon themselves to format the page for us? When they format it for you, you can't download anything without first having to click the "Original Page" link at the bottom...

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

By the way, does anyone know of any software conflicts with Xiino? Are there any particular programs that don't play nicely with it?

FrozenCode: I'm using Blazer version 4.0. I noticed in the replies to this thread, several people are using version 4.3. I just updated my firmware, and there was no upgraded version of Blazer in that (there was for VersaMail), and I'd assume that's where the upgrade would come from, since Blazer is in ROM. Is there a downloadable upgrade available somewhere? I didn't see one on the Palm website, nor at any other Palm site I've visited. I'm clearly missing something somewhere on this one.

scottymomo: My JVM is the latest download available for my Treo 650 for my wireless carrier, Alltel. It's listed as version J9 2.2 ARM (20040706_1505_IHsCmV). The Palm website says that the download was posted on February 9, 2005 -- which makes it sound old to me, but they don't offer a newer download for my device, as far as I can see.

98GSR: How small did you set your cache in Xiino?

bigthrust: I'll give that a try and see if it helps. What do you have your JVM settings set to? Are you using Opera Mini on a Treo 650?

Thanks,
    Kim
    Search for Fast Mode Blazer. There's a huge thread about it somewhere with the updated version. You have to make a custom ROM though...

Well, as I can remember I did not make a custom ROM. But only an official updater (for unlocked GSM)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast