1.    #1  
    A friend of mine needs his 700P replaced (charging problems).

He called Palm 2 times, and they keep directing him to the Sprint store saying Sprint handles the warranty or somthing like that.

Is this true? If so, guess he has to make a trip down to the store..
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    yes, it is true. Your friend could also handle it over the phone w/Sprint support. But, I've found that going to the store is much less painful.
    It is more important to affix the blame, than it is to fix the problem
    Sprint does NOT do warranty work for free.

see this thread for more details.

tp://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=120951
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    ignore that. For some reason people think that Sprint doesn't warranty their phones, but I know from experience that they do. kthx
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    Oh, Sprint warranties their phones all right, IF you pay for TEP, OR pay a service fee for the privilege for getting your phone repaired under warranty. The rationale (according to Sprint) is that you have the option of sending your phone to the manufacturer for repair if you don't want to pay Sprint.

I know this, because I've seen the policy written in black and white in the official playbook, kthx.

The problem is that palm WON'T touch your Sprint-branded 700p, because their agreement with CDMA carriers specifically calls for Sprint (or Verizon, depending on what name is on the faceplate) to handle servicing these phones. With Verizon, it's not an issue because they service in-warranty phones for free, but with Sprint it's a catch-22 because they either expect you to pay OR send the phone off to the manufacturer to make it their headache instead... even though Sprint and Palm agreed that this wouldn't happen.

So with Sprint, it doesn't matter if the phone's under warranty, you're supposed to pay SOMETHING, whether it be TEP or some service charge to "motivate" Sprint to look at your busted phone.

Sadly, that's Sprint's customer service at its worst. But then again, with Verizon you pay through the nose for the privilege of using data on your PDA, so it's kind of a wash.

Now MAYBE some Sprint reps didn't get the memo regarding warranty service policies post-merger. Not getting the memo and not having a clue is a common problem at Sprint stores. It just so happens that if you get a clueless tech who isn't aware of this policy (or chooses not enforce it), then it's probably the only case of CS cluelessness that would work in the customer's favor. But, don't expect that tech to last very long at his job. Sprint might actually care about that type of incompetence.
    Last edited by scaredpoet; 07/30/2006 at 04:19 AM.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    Blackboxsocial,
    As I mentioned in the other thread IF you got work done free under warranty you were LUCKY!!

What I said is Sprint Policy. I work as a rep in a full service store and deal with this 5 days a week.

Unless you can produce a document that says otherwise please don't tell people Sprint has a warranty. One experience does not necessarily reflect Sprint Policy.

I don't personally care for the policy but I do have to know and abide by it.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    um...Sprint does offer a warranty. It's printed in some obscure section of the web site. I tried to find it recently...fortunately, I had a printout, so I was covered. (As long as you are original owner, I've never had an issue.)
    I pay more for data on Verizon but as state above Verizon is better at warranty repairs. They will swap a phone with a new phone for the first 30 days then after that refurb replacements at no charge. I have had it done many times and my time is money saved with Verizon.
    I would LOVE a link to that. Policy changed 1/2/06 and the new changes superceded all previous policy, but if it's posted on the website I could possibly use that for my customers.
    Talk to the right person and they will take care of it. I've never had a problem with Sprint regarding warranty issues. Everytime I have gotten a brand new phone shipped to me within a few days. No problems...
    Dragonman seems to be in a position to know what the official policy is at Sprint, perhaps others have been lucky. It would be nice if we could get an official statement from Sprint.
    I was in fresno california at their sprint store, and they have a repair center there. I told them about the orange spot on my treo and they swapped it out. A month later I had another issue with the treo and went to the bakersfield sprint store and they too had a repair center, once again they swapped it out. They mearly looked on my record and saw that I had the phone only activated for a few months and pulled out a brand new one both times. Sprints policy might have changed, but I wasn't the only one getting this. People in line were getting replacement phones at no charge left and right. Most, if not all, of the problems with the phones were manufacture errors and they would swap them out. I find it hard to be so lucky knowing I got "lucky" 3 different times at two different sprint stores over a hundred miles apart.

That's my experence. Trim81, just go down and see if they'll do it. If not, then policy changed on this and they no longer do it. It won't hurt to try. But if You're calling PALM and palm says sprint handles the warranty, I think that answers the question itself.
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    BBsocial,
    When did this happen? What date or date range?
    I just went to the local store (not a warranty station showed them the problem and they sent a tech to the store who looked at the phone then exchanged it for a new one (my old 650) I have yet to pay them for warranty.
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
    Dragonman, Last year around this time. 3 times last summer.
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    Exactly what I thought. The Policy changed on Jan 2, 2006. Before that Sprint did do warranty work free for the manufacturers. There was even a period of a couple months after that when Managers could still waive the fees.

To edo
    Do you have TEP or ESRP? If not and the unit was replaced for free you were lucky as policy states...SPRINT DOES NOT DO WARRANTY WORK FOR FREE.

If you want free warranty work you need to go through the manufacturer. Palm refusing to warrant it is a catch 22 for Treo owners. But anyone who owns a $500-$600 phone with no insurance is taking a huge risk I have had TEP on all my phones since I got them...even before I worked for Sprint, and even though I was still under warranty and had 5 Treo 600's replaced under warranty.

Sprint will repair phones for $15-$55 if you don't have TEP/ESRP and after you pay for one repair you can add ESRP.