Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    BackupBuddyVFS 4 Public Beta!

We've been hard at work on our new BackupBuddyVFS (version 4) and have posted a public beta; the download URL is below. The documentation hasn't (yet) been updated, but here's a summary of the new features:

* Standard Zip compression and encryption: this allows you to access your backup files directly on your desktop computer, for example. Note that Zip encryption isn't very strong, so we still support our legacy compression and encryption format (based on Zip, and TEA, respectively). Zip file creation requires a device running Palm OS 5 or later.

* Third-party application locking (Advanced mode): newer Palm devices, such as the Treo 650/700p, work with a new type of memory (i.e. Non-Volatile File System, or NVFS). Unfortunately some older background applications don't interact well with this type of memory, and can cause the device to become unstable especially when doing large amounts of file read/writes. You now have the option to lock those applications in memory during our backup operations to make backups more reliable.

* Continuous backup (Advanced mode): allows you to keep your important files continously backed up as you use your device. So for example, if you add an entry to your Address Book and switch away or power off your device, the file will be backed up immediately.

* Multiple backup sets (Advanced mode): allows you to tailor your backups more precisely. e.g. have one profile for scheduled backups, and another when backing up when your device powers off.

* Backup on low battery

* Automatic checkpoint creation (Advanced mode): BackupBuddyVFS can now automatically create checkpoints every X days, and every X backups. You can also limit how much space to allocate to checkpoints.

* Tree-View (Advanced mode): the older versions of BackupBuddyVFS presented your backup files in a flat list; version 4 replaces this with a tree view making it easier for you to identify which files you'd like to backup and restore.

Please feel free to download and try it out:

http://www.bluenomad.com/bbvfs/bbvfs4beta.prc

This version will expire on 8.15; we will post a new version prior to that date. Please note that although we have extensively tested it internally for quite some time, some bugs may still remain, so you may want to consider an alternate backup application such as BackupBuddy for Windows / Mac OS X. Or simply use your existing version of BackupBuddyVFS to create a checkpoint prior to running the beta version.

BackupBuddyVFS 4 will be a paid upgrade (the first in over 18 months) and upgrade pricing has yet to be determined, but it will be generously discounted for existing customers (of any of our products), and all customers who have purchased within the last 3 months will receive a complimentary upgrade.

Finally, you can also discuss your experience with the beta on our new BBVFS discussion forum:

http://www.bluenomad.com/fogbugz/default.php?bbvfs

Thank you for your continued support, help, and interested in our products!
    Blue Nomad Sales & Support Team
    www.bluenomad.com
    Can ya give us more of a hint at the upgrade price from 3 to 4 ? I'm willing to pay a price = cost of buying NVbackup
    Why would anyone pay for a backup program since NVbackup. It is free and is the best one. I own all four of the major ones (including the above) and I only us NV now on my treo700P . Never fails for me. Dont waste the money .
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm
    Why would anyone pay for a backup program since NVbackup. It is free and is the best one. I own all four of the major ones (including the above) and I only us NV now on my treo700P . Never fails for me. Dont waste the money .
    Uh, possibly because they don't share your opinion? Just a guess...

When is everybody going to realize that software is not the religion of the 2000's?!?!?! Your choice of software does not neccessarily make it the one everyone else MUST use.

I swear I am going to wake up one morning to the news report that sectarian violence has erupted in silicon valley between Linux Users, Mac Zealots and the Microsoft dictatorship....
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Nice new features... I'll be upgrading...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I was not saying as it was my software use it. I was saying its FREE and does what the other do for nothing. Why would anyone pay for a service that they can get for free. If you read my post you will see that is what i said . I did not say anywhere that this is my software and you all should use it because its my favorite. I said try this one as it cost nothing.Dont jump all over someone without reading the post fully. The post above me said the same thing. It is free.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 07/30/2006 at 12:54 PM.
    In response I'd have to ask why isn't the entire world using Linux and Open Office instead of Windows / Microsoft Office ? There are lots of reasons why peopel make choices, some of them logical, some not. I don't us MS Office cause I find the feature set of competing products superior for the way I work. OTOH, I use Windows cause the major software program I need every day is AutoCAD and it's only available these days ina Windows flavor.

As for reasosn why people use things:

Convenience
    It came on the box
    Used to it
    These features suit them better
    To impress their friends
    Office standard
    I already paid for it
    Performance reasons (real or imagined)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    In response I'd have to ask why isn't the entire world using Linux and Open Office instead of Windows / Microsoft Office ? There are lots of reasons why peopel make choices, some of them logical, some not. I don't us MS Office cause I find the feature set of competing products superior for the way I work. OTOH, I use Windows cause the major software program I need every day is AutoCAD and it's only available these days ina Windows flavor.

As for reasosn why people use things:

Convenience
    It came on the box
    Used to it
    These features suit them better
    To impress their friends
    Office standard
    I already paid for it
    Performance reasons (real or imagined)
    Coulld not have said it better. There is a reason why I always read your post Jack.
    Though I own BackupBuddy, I, for one, was not aware that NVbackup was that good and appreciate your drawing attention to it. It might save me a few dollars.

Thanks!
    Its is a good backup program. Lots of threads on here to read about . High praise for it. Like all programs there will be problems but overall it works great and has replaced all the other backups I was using.
    I agree, to each their own. Suggestions are great, especially here at TC. I also agree this is a GREAT app & it has saved my files many of times. I will do this update also, & report any bugs, thanks Bluenomad...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Coulld not have said it better. There is a reason why I always read your post Jack.
    And some would say they read my posts just to laugh at what an ***** I am....my wife heads that list !
    I hope the new version is out before 9/8 that will be my 3 month mark from my purchase...
    My questions is if a person does not want to upgrade (after Beta), can they go back to the older version? Just asking....

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    hey Jack hope your kidding and no one called you an *****. I rely on your threads to find out about new programs and updates.
    Downloaded it. Looks good. I guess I'm not using much of the features, just the low battery one. Not sure if it's really needed on a Treo 650, since I think everything stays in memory. So far, no bugs. Let's see tonight if it backs up as scheduled.
    I am old school. I use hotsync for my back-up needs.

But for the rare occasion where I need to do a hard reset and back-up while on the road, I think that NVbackup is more than adequate.

If you want bells and whistles go BBVFS.

It you just want a program for basic back-ups, you probably couldn't go wrong with NV.
    Personally I think it's a great upgrade.

I HAVE had a problem on the road and had BBVFS save me, so I'm obviously a fan.

But I also use their Checkpoints feature and a few other things. In the new release you can make Checkpoints automatically and I think that's very cool.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Great update, LOVE your products....but it's 8/15 and now I can't use it because it expired. Can't go back to version 3, I need to re-register it...any ideas or suggestions? Thanks folks....

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Just an FYI, they have extended(expired date) the BETA version...just download and continue the use of Version 4, thanks Bluenomad

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast