1.    #1  
    Was at the mall last weekend. Couldn't help but ooogle and drool at the Treo 700p's as I passed the kiosks of Sprint and Verizon. But I gotta say, the dipthongs employed to staff these kiosks and stores are not a credit to their companies.

At the Sprint kiosk, I was asking about service plan rates and the like, showed that I had a 650 and was considering moving up to a 700. Teenager said something like, "yeah, if you like the Windows mobile operating system, the 700 is great." I replied that I currently use a Palm OS Treo and I intend to do so when I step up to the 700. "Are they gonna make that?" asked Junior, the Whiz Kid salesman. "Um, that's what the 700p is. You and Verizon are the only ones who carry it. That's why I am here." And I promptly left.

Walked into the Cingular store. Asked about when the 700p Cingular brand is expected. "Well, we're not sure Cingular is going to come out with one at all." Huh? I'm thinking. "It's fraught with bugs. Cingular won't offer a product that isn't top of the line. They can't get it to work. Cingular probably won't carry it at all." I'm thinking, the 650 was quite buggy upon release, and yet Cingular carried it, so that nixes the saleswoman's claim that Cingular only carries top notch products with polish. And a rep in corporate sales told me a month ago that the Cingular 700p is expected in the Fall.

What a waste. How do these companies do business if the vast majority of their sales force are knuckleheads?
    -- Josh, Cingular 650 owner, contemplating 700p
    Funny Indeed

The reason many of the stores dont have "in the know" reps is because they dont go after the phone geeks like myelf as salepeople...I worked for Sprint for 2 years as a manager...It was hard to get people who knew about cellphones, had great cs skills and love to sell because many had jobs with higher wages in other fields....so we hired teens who didnt know a thing...as a warm bidy...sad but true
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I remember when I was going to buy my first Treo. It was when the 600 came out. I was willing to pay cash, so I walked into a sprint store and asked for the 600. The guy said they were out. I was willing to come back another time, but instead he insisted on trying to sell me a Treo 300 and told me it was just as good if not better. Finally I said, Have you seen the 600.

Needless to say, got the 600 on ebay for half the price, added insurance, broke it and returned it for a free upgrade to the 650. Then made that guy help me.
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej
    ............What a waste. How do these companies do business if the vast majority of their sales force are knuckleheads?
    -- Josh, Cingular 650 owner, contemplating 700p
    They want to sell what they have in the store.
    yeah, the salesman can never be reliable.....you'd better find the best mall dedicated to pda business, which mall have you been to?
    Quote Originally Posted by MsRandall
    The reason many of the stores dont have "in the know" reps is because they dont go after the phone geeks like myelf as salepeople...I worked for Sprint for 2 years as a manager...It was hard to get people who knew about cellphones, had great cs skills and love to sell because many had jobs with higher wages in other fields....so we hired teens who didnt know a thing...as a warm bidy...sad but true
    That certainly explains it.
    not because I work in a store like this, but I've generally found that 3rd party retailers that sell multiple carriers are the best to deal with. They don't necessarily have to push one thing on you, and can be a little more honest. not to say they will know any more than the kids at the sprint store..
    For me I would rather wait for the answer after you go consult someone "in the know" than pull an answer out your ##@. Also good cs skills take you a long ways with me....

Prime example last night I got my $30 dollar bill from Sprint since I had 2.5 months worth of credits from my husband and my 700p purchases...I noticed on the bill the FIMF was removed from my husbands account last month along with his roaming...The Sprint rep said you have to pay $5 for his sub line to get roaming (we on a share plan with a total of 5 phones) and FIMF was NEVER an option at Sprint...I was like okay Bye thanks for your help...Hung Up and REDIALED said Cancel to the IVR and got a retention rep ---2 minutes later FIMFand roaming were back on his line....
    I was chatting up the local Cing store manager while waiting for a coworker to upgrade his blackberry. The UPS driver came in with a stack of boxes and I jokingly said, 'If there's a 750p in there, I'll take it.' The manager smiled and said, 'Nope, not until October'. He mentioned that Cing will have a stack of new offerings then.

We got into a discussion about some of the newer media phones, one which he had on him that will be part of the October. It was the loudest thing I'd ever heard and the streaming video was fairly smooth. Truth be told, I'd love to see some sort of regulation on ringer volumes, as speakers seem to be getting better and better.

It's too bad that Palm isn't aggressively upgrading the Treo to stave off what's quickly becoming standard on many of the cells. There's a great platform in our PDA's, but without the proper internal support, we're becoming the Amigas of the cell-age.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej
    But I gotta say, the dipthongs employed to staff these kiosks and stores are not a credit to their companies.
    You get what you pay for, my friend - and that includes labor... if these companies were willing to pay a professional wage for these jobs, then you and I would get professional-level knowledge and service. However, since they pay these poor saps minimum wage-level salaries, we therefore get minimum wage-level service...

Javier
    They are drones...I don't even waste time to ask them questions due to the fact I know more than they do and its a fact. I just go there when my mind is already made up and make my purchase with little to no words to be exchanged.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by javylsu
    However, since they pay these poor saps minimum wage-level salaries, we therefore get minimum wage-level service...
    Yeeeeah, and you just remember that when you complain about how high your cell phone bill is, or negotating with retentions to get hooked up with the most possible minutes, features and discounts while paying as little as absolutely possible.

Part of the problem here is that the cell companies are pricing for what the public is willing to pay. Back in the day when cell service cost $.69 a minute for HOME coverage, and there was no such thing as a "free phone," the cellular stores were full of well-trained sales staff, and even better-trained technicians that could actually diagnose and conduct hardware-level repairs to your phone on-site. I first signed up for cell service on the tail-end of this period, before the big mergers and mega-calling plans.

But, now we are at the stage where service and phones are commoditized. People now expect to get new "free" phones every 18 months. They expect 30 bazillion minutes with free long distance and unlimited high speed data to download their blingtones. And they expect to pay as little as possible for it. The end result is that your phones get dumbed down (except for the "smart" phones which sell for a premium price), your services get dumbed-down, and your sales reps, also, get dumbed-down.

So if you want your cell company to train people and pay them well and keep the motivated, sure! Just don't expect all those discounts and retention deals.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Yeeeeah, and you just remember that when you complain about how high your cell phone bill is, or negotating with retentions to get hooked up with the most possible minutes, features and discounts while paying as little as absolutely possible.

Part of the problem here is that the cell companies are pricing for what the public is willing to pay. Back in the day when cell service cost $.69 a minute for HOME coverage, and there was no such thing as a "free phone," the cellular stores were full of well-trained sales staff, and even better-trained technicians that could actually diagnose and conduct hardware-level repairs to your phone on-site. I first signed up for cell service on the tail-end of this period, before the big mergers and mega-calling plans.

But, now we are at the stage where service and phones are commoditized. People now expect to get new "free" phones every 18 months. They expect 30 bazillion minutes with free long distance and unlimited high speed data to download their blingtones. And they expect to pay as little as possible for it. The end result is that your phones get dumbed down (except for the "smart" phones which sell for a premium price), your services get dumbed-down, and your sales reps, also, get dumbed-down.

So if you want your cell company to train people and pay them well and keep the motivated, sure! Just don't expect all those discounts and retention deals.
    Quality post, would read again.
    This thread actually gives me the idea that maybe I could work at sprint in the mall. I know an average amount about phones.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigDee
    This thread actually gives me the idea that maybe I could work at sprint in the mall. I know an average amount about phones.
    The big question is, would you? Retail and service-oriented businesses simply cannot 'afford' talents. Most of the phone geeks already got full-time jobs posting here at lunch breaks instead!
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I've also had some bad experiences with in store reps... one of the worst was recently in a Cingular stone (in a way this was the final nail in their coffin for me as a customer). I basically went in there to ask when my contract ended (knowing the 700p was coming out) and to see if basically I could talk them into giving me a deal on their data service and a 650 to get me to stay (just figured 'what the heck' maybe they'd go for it).

Well when they refused and I asked the guy straight up why I'd have any reason to stay with them when I can switch to Sprint and get faster data for $15 a month as opposed to $45 a month. He went into this explanation about how Cingular has better coverage (theoretically true, but in practice I later found that even this was not the case around where I live), and then he started saying (and this was a guy who looked and acted like he knew what he was talking about) that their network was all digital and Sprint was still running on an ANALOG network with inferior data capabilities. Now, this was about as big of a flat out lie that I could imagine regarding Sprint, and really at that moment I felt bad for all of the poor trusting folk who would actually walk in there and take this guy seriously. This really seemed like borderline false advertising, except he was not misrepresenting their capabilities but rather those of the competition. Seeing at this point that the guy was either too oblivious or to big of an ***hole to warrant further discussion I just said my goodbyes and walked out.