1.    #1  
    USB Hotsync problems (a possible solution path)

Like MANY, I have often had Hotsync problems.
    This time when I pressed the Hotsync button, WinXP gave 3 beeps and no sync. It was a problem with my Hotsync drivers in Win XP. Others have posted similar solutions (Thank You! Too many to credit), so I thought I'd detail some here. Now I'm no expert, so please comment if I'm wrong or if you can add better or more info! (perhaps this may qualify as a sticky)

I don't think the 3 beep problem requires reinstalling software or a new cable.
    But, in general be sure your installation is correct (see far below) and updated following trail in http://www.palm.com/us/support/index.html )

Usually, for Hotsync problems, start at Palm's
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W....tem,CASE=2630

If it still doesn't work at the end, the below will continue you to the final 3 beep solution.

CONFIRMATION of this particular driver problem:

This assumes all contacts are bright and shinny! (clean with an eraser or scrub with high % alcohol using a Q-tip or toothbrush)

1) Connect Palm handheld to USB port (cable/cradle)

2) Start Hotsync (open Palm Desktop see if the Hotsync menu works)

3) Open "Computer Management" [Start > Run > {type} compmgmt.msc (OK)]
    OR in Win XP, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
    OR right click "My Computer" and go to Properties and then click the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button

4) Click Device Manager in left window. Note "device list" on right in alphabetical order (find "Ports")
    {The next steps will last only a few seconds so click fast!}

5) Start Hotsync on handheld

6) Note in "device list" "Palm OS Handheld Devices" (before "Ports")

7) Double-Click "Palm OS Handheld Devices" to see "Palm Handheld"

If there is a Palm problem you will see a yellow ! (or a red X ?) or other indication that things are not working right.

FIX:
    1) Start above again

2) When you see "Palm Handheld", Right-click it and Left-click "Uninstall" and finish uninstalling drivers.

3) Click top menu item: Action > Scan For Hardware Changes. (you may need to restart the Hotsync)

4) Here Win XP will find and reinstall the drivers, just follow the instructions.
    The drivers should be at C:\Program Files\palmOne\USB_Driver

5) Restart Palm software (or better, reboot and restart Palm software). Here, everything worked for me.

REINSTALLING PALM SOFTWARE:
    Often to resolve problems you need to do a complete reinstall and a hard reset.
    1) Export (not backup) your Calendar, Contacts etc. and uninstall Palm software via Add/Remove programs (a copy & paste backup can reintroduce database or configuration errors at your next Hotsync - bad .dat files)

2) Then you might try the HandspringUSBRegCleaner http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...y_windows.html

3) Reinstall from CD then update.

ALSO Read the excellent post by Michael Hall (captpixel) at http://forums.palm.com/pe/action/for...ExpertiseCode=

Folks, one little comment...
    I've worked in phone support, it sucks ! From not having the right answers (I've been an ***** too!), to clueless users and especially people who get angry. So please don't bash techs! If they do fix your problem, thank them 10 times! (no, I don't work for Palm)

7/28/06
    My system:
    Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    (Phone > menu Options > Phone Info)
    Firmware 01.71, Software Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Using PalmDesktopUpdate-414e
    (Palm Desktop > About > Version)
    Hotsync Ver 4.1.0, Palm.exe 4.1.4, various Hotsync Files Ver 6.0.1
    Win XP (updated as of 7/28/06)

Keyword Issues: Hotsync problem, Hotsync beeps, Hotsync stopped working, Hotsync quit, bad driver, bad palm driver, palm driver error, palm device error, palm driver error, palm device driver error
    Thanks. Had HotSync problem, this fixed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanInSanJose
    USB Hotsync problems (a possible solution path)

Like MANY, I have often had Hotsync problems.
    This time when I pressed the Hotsync button, WinXP gave 3 beeps and no sync. It was a problem with my Hotsync drivers in Win XP. Others have posted similar solutions (Thank You! Too many to credit), so I thought I'd detail some here. Now I'm no expert, so please comment if I'm wrong or if you can add better or more info! (perhaps this may qualify as a sticky)
    Great post Dan, thanks!