Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    I havent bought the PC version of Quicken or Microsoft Money so I'm wondering what is the best software to use on the palm. From intial research Pocket Quicken and Ultrasoft Money are the leading software choices.

    Anyone have any pros/cons/opinions on these?
  2. #2  
    Haven't tried Quicken, but Ultrasoft Money <-> Microsoft Money WORKS!

    See:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ltrasoft+money

    and

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ltrasoft+money

    There a lot of other threads on T|C in this vein.
  3. #3  
    OTOH,

    Ive been using PocketQuicken for about 5-6 years (ever since the Kyocera 6035 came out)

    I love it. Love the face it syncs right up to the desktop version.

    LOVE IT!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  4. #4  
    Like I said, I don't know much about Quicken, but with MS Money, you are tied to MSN.com and everytime you fire the application up, it connects to some webiste and downloads a whole bunch of spam. There is no way to stop this stuff.

    And it depends on the Microsoft Money website to pull all its stock data. (they don't list Indian stocks, so it is BAD for me).

    The above are about the only things I don't like about MS Money.

    On features alone (basic finanical data, reports, budgeting, investments, tax planning) I suppose there is very little to choose between the two, but it is details like what I've mentioned previously that are important, and for that you need to try both out and select between the two based on your needs.

    I do find the MS Money interface less clunkier.
  5. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #5  
    I don't have that spam problem with MS Money and I do sync online with my bank, Wachovia. Perhaps there's an option somewhere you can turn off...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    I don't have that spam problem with MS Money and I do sync online with my bank, Wachovia. Perhaps there's an option somewhere you can turn off...
    By "spam" I meant all those ads and offers cluttering the investment screen. Happens only when I am actually connected to the internet. I'd be glad to know of such a setting in MS Money 2005.
  7. BenJoeM's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #7  
    Big Pocket Quicken fan, been using it for years. Mostly I love that use budgets, etc with my palm. Also the new version does sync to your bank if needed.
  8. #8  
    Money has upgrade everyyear and the interface is more friendly than Quicken. I use Ultra Money on my palm for years and sync is perfect.
  9. #9  
    I believe that the interface with Quicken is much nicer and user friendly than it used to be both on the desktop (different opinions on this) and the palmtop (one click can handle multiple bank accounts and/or brokerages very efficiently on the desktop). I have heard many good comments regarding UltraSoft, but I don't believe that they have upgraded in a few years. I have never used it though. Anyway, I like the Quicken and Pocket Quicken combo but really cannot offer an authoritative opinion on the others. I have also noted that SplashMoney allows you to sync from the Treo which would seem very handy at times (not too sure about the Treo's security though).
  10. #10  
    Pocket Quicken:the seamless sync with the Desktop for both Macs and PCs make it a great product.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
  11. #11  
    I've tried both (currently using Quicken) and I must say that I prefer the Ultrasoft Money/Microsoft Money combo. Quicken requires you to verify transactions even after you sync, so each time I open the PC Quicken program, I feel like I'm resubmitting information I've entered already. It's only a minor nuisance, but a nuisance just the same.

    Money's synchronization has always been seamless to me and I've never had any sync issues at all. I'll be switching back in the very near future (I've been trying Quicken for about 2 months now)...

    That being said, some people swear by Quicken and hate Money, so I think it's one of those "Windows" vs. "OS-X" type of arguments. If you grew up using one or the other, it's going to take some effort to convince you the other one is better.
  12. #12  
    I just read an article the other day that showed Microsoft Money is abandoning the pocket pc (wm 5), good thing you’re using pos.
  13. Hargoth's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    #13  
    Can't use either. They both require Palm Desktop to be installed.
    Why not just let us download the prc files? I don't get it.
    Are both of these Palm programs broken without a MSWINDOWS counterpart?

    Other Palm checkbook apps import and export to qik files wich can be used with any accounting software.

    So if I prefer GnuCash to any of the 'popular' MSWINDOWS based checkbook apps, I can't even install the demo?

    Dumb.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by brickjr
    Quicken requires you to verify transactions even after you sync, so each time I open the PC Quicken program, I feel like I'm resubmitting information I've entered already. It's only a minor nuisance, but a nuisance just the same.
    This certainly doesn't happen on the Mac/OSX side. There are no confirmations, dialog boxes, or external steps. Hotsync and the data exchange is transparent. You can't change any of the records downloaded to the PDA from the Palm, but entries on the PDA go back directly into the Desktop version.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
  15. vRob's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    #15  
    I'm a registered owner of both programs and I'm currently using Ultrasoft Money with MS Money 06. The main reason why I like Ultrasoft better because it was written to be a standalone money manager while Pocket Quicken is more of a desktop companion application. In Ultrasoft I can edit transaction, upcoming bills, catagories, and budgeting, on my Palm as easily as I can on the desktop. Pocket Quicken is much more limited in terms of what can be done on the Palm, for instance once a transaction is synced to the desktop you lose the ability to edit that transaction from you Palm (you can delete it from you Palm or edit it on the desktop, however). I used PQ for a couple years (up until about 2 months ago) and find Ultrasoft Money a much more feature rich program than PQ. I don't regret switching one bit.

    On the desktop side, I used both Quicken and Money for tracking bank accounts, credit cards, and budgeting, I didn't notice much of a difference between them. I didn't use the feature that allows you to sync your transactions with your bank, nor did I use the feature that allows you to track investments. I'm a little paranoid about that kind of stuff.

    As a side note, I tried using Ultrasoft Money with MS Money 2007 trial and I got an error in UM saying that it is not compatable. So for now if you want to use Ultrasoft you are limited to Money 2006 or earlier.
    Last edited by vRob; 07/29/2006 at 04:55 PM.
    VZW 600 --> VZW 700p
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by vRob
    I'm a registered owner of both programs and I'm currently using Ultrasoft Money with MS Money 06. The main reason why I like Ultrasoft better because it was written to be a standalone money manager while Pocket Quicken is more of a desktop companion application. In Ultrasoft I can edit transaction, upcoming bills, catagories, and budgeting, on my Palm as easily as I can on the desktop. Pocket Quicken is much more limited in terms of what can be done on the Palm, for instance once a transaction is synced to the desktop you lose the ability to edit that transaction from you Palm (you can delete it from you Palm or edit it on the desktop, however). I used PQ for a couple years (up until about 2 months ago) and find Ultrasoft Money a much more feature rich program than PQ. I don't regret switching one bit.

    On the desktop side, I used both Quicken and Money for tracking bank accounts, credit cards, and budgeting, I didn't notice much of a difference between them. I didn't use the feature that allows you to sync your transactions with your bank, nor did I use the feature that allows you to track investments. I'm a little paranoid about that kind of stuff.

    As a side note, I tried using Ultrasoft Money with MS Money 2007 trial and I got an error in UM saying that it is not compatable. So for now if you want to use Ultrasoft you are limited to Money 2006 or earlier.
    As a side note, I addressed this with the support folks at Ultrasoft and it is NOT compatable with MS Money 2007 but they said that the plan was to develop a version that would be compatable with 2007 and below as they have done in the past. The support person said that they could not give a timeframe with regard to this. From other replies to my post there this is per usual.

    I discovered the compatability the hard way and had no backup of the money file that was supposed to be created when I upgraded to 2007. So the only solution was to grab an old backup and uninstall MS Money 2007 and reinstall MS Money 2006 and update the transactions electronically. It was a pain in the @#$^ but at least I am functional now.

    On a personal note, I have used Ultrasoft Money for years and really like it. I am not a fan of Quicken but that is a personal choice. If I were using the Treo on both the Mac and the PC then Quicken would be the only choice personal preference or not.

    I hope this helps some.

    Regards,

    Jim
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by vRob
    In Ultrasoft I can edit transaction, upcoming bills, catagories, and budgeting, on my Palm as easily as I can on the desktop. Pocket Quicken is much more limited in terms of what can be done on the Palm, for instance once a transaction is synced to the desktop you lose the ability to edit that transaction from you Palm
    For the unbiased, this seals the deal...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    For the unbiased, this seals the deal...
    I am biased , and this actually seals the deal the other way for me. I want my desktop transactions uneditable on the Palm. The Palm app for me is just an extension that allows me to see all account balances, the last x weeks of data, and enter new records at the point of transaction.

    It is not meant to duplicate or replace the desktop. Again, this is my completely biased opinion.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    I am biased , and this actually seals the deal the other way for me. I want my desktop transactions uneditable on the Palm. The Palm app for me is just an extension that allows me to see all account balances, the last x weeks of data, and enter new records at the point of transaction.

    It is not meant to duplicate or replace the desktop. Again, this is my completely biased opinion.
    Actually, I once felt a bit uncomfortable about not being able to edit transactions that had been synced to Quicken Desktop, but now I have grown accustomed to doing things that way and it has become natural to me. I'm not sure if this has been set this way for security reasons, or if it can be changed through preferences.
  20. wbwjr's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    Big Pocket Quicken fan, been using it for years. Mostly I love that use budgets, etc with my palm. Also the new version does sync to your bank if needed.

    How well does the pocket quicken sync with the bank? Can you also send online payments through the Treo?

    Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions