Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I recently got engaged. I am looking for any suggestions for a good palm program that can help me plan the wedding. Jennifer Lopez in the Palm OS would be nice. Anyone have any suggestions???
    I ran across a ThinkDB database for organizing wedding related items such as guestlists and vendors a while ago. Check Palmgear or freewarepalm.com. You might be able to find it there.

For PC software (Windows), I recommend a program called Wedding Magic from frogwaresoftware.com. I've been using it for the past year planning my wedding and am very satisfied with it. Very full-featured, easy to use program for keeping track of and managing all things wedding related.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    We're using ThinkDB2, and I suggest creating your own DB yourself. I found the pre-made ones always had features I didn't want and lacked features I did. ThinkDB2 can add up your totals, offer different display options, etc.

Dieter
    has anyone tried this software I found on PalmGear called Bridge on Top?

http://www.palmgear.com/handspring/p...dID=13758&SID=

sounds intriguing and perhaps helpful for my situation but would like to see more information or hear some reviews first....

- john
    I would recommend eloping. Much simpler.
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    I would recommend eloping. Much simpler.
    I second the motion!
    Originally posted by tulrich
    I second the motion!
    My father-in-law offered his portion of the wedding bill to me as cash before we started the whole monstrous process as a bribe to just go to Vegas. I was tempted.

Other good wedding stuff we used:

Progect (overall)
    Wordsmith (for the ceremony)
    Diddlebug (quick thoughts)
    um.. DateBook+

I had meant to use Quickbudget the entire time, but never got around to it. My Wife (I have a wife, weird...) took care of the money. I guess that's a hint of what's to come, since I'm to be a grad student!
    Speaking of, welcome back deitrichbohn!! Hope your wedding was stressfree, your honeymoon was blissful, and your knowledge that a good marriage is a lot of work fully in place.
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Speaking of, welcome back deitrichbohn!! Hope your wedding was stressfree, your honeymoon was blissful, and your knowledge that a good marriage is a lot of work fully in place.
    Thanks, all three are true (except maybe that first...).

It's good to be back home again (referring both to VC and to Minneapolis!)
    I second the motion!
    I third that.

My wife and I, in hindsight, would have liked to fly to Vegas with a few close friends. We certainly enjoyed the wedding, but, in the end, it really doesn't make sense for a couple just getting started to spend that much time, energy, and money on their first day of their married life. It probably would make more sense to spend that effort on a honey moon and/or getting started that first month.

And talking to a lot of married friends, the concensus seems to be the same.

Besides, you NEVER get the gifts you want in thr first place!
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    [B]it really doesn't make sense for a couple just getting started to spend that much time, energy, and money on their first day of their married life.
    Yep...my husband & I eloped in 1999. My older sister had a huge wedding, so mom had already experienced that "pleasure." My husband's sister had had a large wedding as well, so nobody minded. Plus, my folks eloped so they could hardly say anything!

I'm not the fussy type (as y'all might can tell by my hanging out with a bunch of (mostly) guys on a Visor website) and couldn't stomach the thought of picking out flowers, brides' maids' dresses, music, etc etc.

Would do it again in a heartbeat!
    Whoah. There was some sort of time-warp there...didn't realize the original question was posted back in Feb!

Anyways, congrats on the wedding. You're lucky...you missed the two 'hot-as-hell' weeks we had here.

Next year: central air. For sure.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    Anyways, congrats on the wedding. You're lucky...you missed the two 'hot-as-hell' weeks we had here.
    Nope.. Wedding was July 7th... we just got the pix and I looked like a zombie. People were sweating like evil demons were pointing blowtorches at them: me the worst. At the reception, I had the following conversation several times:

"It's so sweet that you cried."

"I teared up a little during the vows, but I didn't cry."

"Sure you did, I saw it."

"No, you saw sweat."

"Oh, wow.... Hey, since when did you dye your hair?"

"I didn't: it's covered in sweat."

"Oh..."

Honeymoon was in Door County, slightly cooler there.

Re: expense for a wedding. Actually, having have a fairly big wedding (250 guests, 6 groomsmen and 6 bridesmaids), I have to say it was worth it. Getting married for us wasn't so much about committing to each other (that, we knew, had already come on its own) as it was doing so in the presence of our friends and family. Plus, it was a kick-a$ at the reception!
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Re: expense for a wedding. Actually, having have a fairly big wedding (250 guests, 6 groomsmen and 6 bridesmaids), I have to say it was worth it. Getting married for us wasn't so much about committing to each other (that, we knew, had already come on its own) as it was doing so in the presence of our friends and family. Plus, it was a kick-a$ at the reception!
    deitrich:
    you're the first guy i've ever heard say the wedding was worth it...no wonder you cried during the vows <GDAR>
    Wedding was July 7th
    I would have ditched the tux right then and there!

Actually, the most 'comfortable' wedding I was in was one where we all wore kilts. Very refreshing.
    -David Byrne
    Mine; checked off a few options to complete a packaged wedding from Carnival Cruise Lines and faxed the paper back along with my credit card number. Showed up on the day (in shorts) with about 35 family members. Nice affair with party afterward, then waved goodbye as guests were helped off the ship and we sailed away. perfect, and reasonable priced. Would due it again, but hope I don't need to.