Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Hey I was wondering what the former 700w users think about the 700p. I am a current 700w fan and was thinking about switching to the p, but wanted to know what everyone else thought before making the leap.

Is the p just as buggy as the w?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    no, its awesome
    My wife struggled with the 700w for days. She was a previous Blackberry user. She ended up with a Q because she liked the form factor and side scroll wheel. The 700w was difficult to operate using one hand. I don't think the Q is much better myself.

In any case, the only way you'll know if you really like it is to try it yourself. Having used the w and the Q, I'm very happy with the p.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzznug
    Having used the w and the Q, I'm very happy with the p.
    It is like alphabet soup in here. ;-)
    I had 4 problems with the 700w, all of which are solved with the "p":

1. Very limited memory.
    2. Able to sync to only 2 computers.
    3. Automatic time-shifting of appointments as you change time zones.
    4. Limited one-handed functionality in many apps.

These 4 were killers for me, and brought me back to the Palm OS.
    I've owned a WM based device before and now have a 700P. WM is fairly powerful (with the right hardware) and a good OS as far as simulating a mini-Windows environment and having a lot of neat little "gadget freak" elements to play around with initially. However, on a smartphone especially, I'd say that Palm OS is better for productivity. It's much more suited to getting what you need done quickly and efficiently. Basically I don't need to deal with the fact that I have 4 other apps still loaded in memory slowing my phone down when I just need it to be a phone for me.
    I have both, the third party application support is what brought me back to PalmOS. (And the higher resolution screen).

What do you use your Treo for? If the built in apps of the 700w meet your needs I'd stick to it. If on the other hand you need better email and better office document support, I'd definately go with the P. (Documents to Go is the hands down best Mobile Office Suite out there).

Also what kind of bugs did you see with the 700w. I never ran into any. (But then again, I was only using it for email and MP3s.)
    Overall MUCH happier with the Treo700p than the Treo 700w, but . . .

I had the Treo 700w on day one, got rid of it the day before the OS update arrived moved to the XV6700 got rid of that 6 weeks later and got the Treo 700w again based on the comments that all was working well. That 31 days when my Treo 700w fell the vibrate ringer got damaged and Verizon swapped it out and I was able to get a new Treo 700p instead.

End result is I do like parts of WM OS but until the memory issue and screen space can be resolved no thanks. The Treo 700p is doing very well and the reception is better. The one downside I am having and its pretty annoying is the BT fails to connect properly with my Moto IHF1000 car kit. It pairs but at times the phone is connected but the aduio does not come out of the car kit but the phone. That and the limited number of BT headsets is annoying.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    BT compatibility sucks with the 700P (headsets)
    How is that? Mine pairs with three different head sets...Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    How is that? Mine pairs with three different head sets...Ben
    But does it work well with those three headsets? That's the important question. When it comes to BT headsets and phones in general, I find that people's individual experiences will vary; some people will have a headset work perfectly for them, while others will have lots of problems with that same headset using the same phone model.
    That is open to so many factors. On my Treo it wants to be within about 10 feet. With my Nextel/Motorola i605, it wants to be within 20-25 feet - after that it gets a little scratchy. There are times when the environment is a factor...

I find the Motorola headsets to be comfy and I really enjoy the H500. The Razr 3 does well except its ear piece/receive volume is just too low. They both pair immediately. I have had two HS850s and the batteries are just crap after about 6-8 months. I threw them both in the trash.

The Sony HB662 or whatever it is was really uncomfy. Just a few minutes into wearing it was pain. A couple of hours and I hated it. My ear felt like it was ready to jump ship.

Ben