Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've recently been using Phone Technician for its sound boosting function. So far, it has been great!

But, my question is whether anyone has directly compared the "boosted" sound quality produced by VolumeCare vs. PhoneTechnician, and whether you feel one is better than the other?

If in fact one is better than the other, please let me know.
    PT's sounds quality is better, IMHO. With that said, I miss VC's sound boost on applications and ringtones. I haven't found another application that will do those things.
    Treo speaker is not a high-end sound system I do not care much about voice quality difference, VC does not trouble me that's why I use it And no conflicts with software I use.
    VC is much clearer. PT distorts and crackles like crazy. VC lets you adjust the volume and/or the boost yourself and PT doesn't.

I use PT for my ringtones and VC for the volume and to pump up the volume of the ringtones.
    I have tried both. I don't see much difference when they are both set to comparable volume increases. From what I read, there seem to be two places one can boost the volume. If I set VC to automatic and boost it seems to give me the same performance as PT.

Is there some technical/hardware/software reason this should NOT be so?
    VolumeCare is the complete Volume supplement solution for the Treo's. It provides separate volume settings for each type of Treo speaker. This provides you the ability to select and configure the ideal listening level for each speaker type. This is true for the initial call volume as well as any time you switch from one speaker to another. VolumeCare will automatically adjust the listening level so volume is at the proper level as you change speaker types.

VolumeCare will also manage the MIC volume during a call so your callers will hear you better. In quiet environments, turn the MIC volume up just a little and people will think you are on a land line. If you are in a loud environment, turn the MIC down to reduce the background noise.

VolumeCare manages the sound levels for 3rd party applications and all ringtones. This provides the ability to hear applications like TomTom, alarms, etc.... louder than the stock device.

VolumeCare also has the ability to help correct a common hardware problem - the headset jack failure. When the headset jack fails, is causes all of the Treo's internal speakers and MIC to stop working. Until VolumeCare, the only solution was to repair or replace the device. VolumeCare attempts to bypass the broken headset jack and restore audio to the internal speakers and MIC. Most how have used it find it provides an acceptable solution to the problem. Ideally this option should be used to restore your phone so you can use it until your carrier can provide a replacement. But at least half the users that purchase this option continue to use the phone for months.

Lastly, VolumeCare has a very strong track record of stability and unwavering customer support. If problems are reported (with any software this is a fact), I repare the problem and provide a new release useually within hours of the problem report.

On the flip side, PT was developed by a very good and successful developer. PT does provide volume increases but with reduced functionality as compare to VolumeCare.

I hope this helps......

Jeff
    Jeff,

You have a nice product. However, during the trial period (I am seeing if this is the right program for me) my phone is going through lockups where I have to press the reset button. I am using a Treo 650 Cingular. I am unsure as to why this is happening. I really do like the volume increase with the program but the resetting of the device/lockup is a bit annoying. I am going to totally wipe out the software with a hard reset and will attempt it again. Have you heard of this problem?

Regards,

mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    Jeff,

You have a nice product. However, during the trial period (I am seeing if this is the right program for me) my phone is going through lockups where I have to press the reset button. I am using a Treo 650 Cingular. I am unsure as to why this is happening. I really do like the volume increase with the program but the resetting of the device/lockup is a bit annoying. I am going to totally wipe out the software with a hard reset and will attempt it again. Have you heard of this problem?

Regards,

mike
    This does not sound like a VolumeCare problem but just to make sure please make sure you are using version 5.46 of VolumeCare.

Since you are using a Cingular phone, there is a common problem that causes lockups, wierd phone behavior and crashes. The problem is that the SIM card is not making solid connections inside of the Treo. This is caused by the SIM chip not being thick enough! The simple fix is to remove the SIM tray from the Treo. Then remove the SIM chip from the SIM tray. Now put 4 layers of scotch tape on the BACK (opposite the contacts) of the SIM chip and trim the tape to fit the chip. Put the chip back in the tray and the tray back into the Treo. The majority of the hangs, crashes, etc... will disappear.

If you have any other issues, drop me an email with your phone number (or I will send you my number) and we can talk live.

Jeff
    support AT GoTreoSoftware.com (replace the AT with @)
    Thanks Jeff....I will give that a try!
    I was looking at Palmgear today

VC $19.00
    PT $10.00

All I need is a little more call volume. I might go the PT route, and save the $9.00.
    Aussie Joe - I tried VC and it certainly does all that Jeff says it does, but that was just more than I wanted - or wanted to pay for. I got PT in a bundle with Butler and ended up paying about $7 for it. And it gives me exactly what I needed - just a little more call volume in the ear piece.

Now if my jack goes, I might end up with VC!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    How does VC compare with Profilecare on phone volume? Is there a difference between how each works? The description of Profilecare indicated it helps with phone volume, is this true?????
    The Bernster
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    I was looking at Palmgear today

VC $19.00
    PT $10.00

All I need is a little more call volume. I might go the PT route, and save the $9.00.
    Sure is a good deal for PT, but only until 1 Aug (the normal price is $15).

VC basic, which also controls mic volume and allows differential control over handset, headset, and speakerphone volumes is $15 at TreoCentral store.

The price differential at normal prices is nil, and the functionality is similar (although I might consider VC slightly more full featured.)
    I am very happy with phone technician's volume boosting.
    Quote Originally Posted by befranklin
    How does VC compare with Profilecare on phone volume? Is there a difference between how each works? The description of Profilecare indicated it helps with phone volume, is this true?????
    ProfileCare does not increase call volume. It allows you to control alert volume, vibrate status and ringtones. Very early versions of ProfileCare had version 0.1 of VolumeCare builtin. But this 0.1 version only controlled the initial starting volume for a phone call. It providd no volume gains beyond the default device. As VolumeCare grew in features and complexity it was separated into a stanalone application. So today VolumeCare and ProfileCare complement each other very nicely.

Jeff
  16.    #16  
    Very interesting posts.

It sounds like both programs work very well, and whichever one people choose really depends on what functions one needs.

While I am happy with Phone Technician, I think I will give Volume Care a try also!
    I am going to download PT. I know that Volume Care has a lot of features, but all I need is a little call volume.
    Finally got a chance to buy and load PT.

It was exactly what I was looking for. It was cheap ($10) and gave me a little extra volume on my headset. Most of the time my call volume is OK except for airports and construction site.

I suppose I didn't go for VC because of the extra cost and I really didn't need all the volume features it has, like mic volume, ringer etc. And the way it works sort of scared me. All I wanted to do is press the volume increase on the side of the treo and have instant increase in call volume. Plus, I will be using PT radio on/off feature. It will stop annoying overnight international calls ringing at 3am
    I don't have either. With the rated 200% or higher volume level with VC...Is their any chance of damaging your speakers at high levels with that much of a possible increase?
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I don't have either. With the rated 200% or higher volume level with VC...Is their any chance of damaging your speakers at high levels with that much of a possible increase?
    Yes, possibly. As a matter of fact, I believe there is something about that in the user manual.......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast