1.    #1  
    I have a user that picked up a new 8125 from Cingular and I added it to our GL server (4.8.0.76), he got the system generated email with url and PIN, downloaded OTA setup and started the install. Problem is his device gets to 75% and doesn't ever get passed that point after letting it run for 40 minutes. During this time "verfiying certificates" shows on the device screen. He finally killed it and wants to start all over but each time he retries the install it resumes at 75% point and goes nowhere. We finally gave up and I removed the device from our GL server and decided to post here for advice.

All our other devices are Treo's so I'm not familiar with the 8125 or the OS it runs but I did make sure I have the correct client software selected for distribution (Win Mobile 5 PPC 4.8.1.14). Any way we can start from scratch? or what might be happening?
    Last edited by treoracer; 07/24/2006 at 03:50 PM.
    I'm running 4.8 on my 8125 and didn't run into any issues with GL installs. What version of the firmware is it running? Should be at 2.25.11.1 for ROM from 5/11/2006. (Start> Settings> system> Device Information)

You might also want to try doing a hard reset (Start>Settings>System> Clear Storage and follow the prompts) of the device and try OTA from scratch.
    | Ted Johnson | Tech Support Lead, Lanlogic Inc | www.lanlogic.net |
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response, the user is in Wash DC and I'm in Atlanta so this will a barrel of fun. I've asked him this morning to check for ROM level and suggested the hard reset. Still waiting on the outcome from that.

After posting my original question yesterday I checked the Good site and saw that 4.9 had been released so I updated everything to 4.9 across the board hoping for better results. I added the user again with new PIN and he tried again, no luck. The Management server has populated the serial and phone number fields, just never finishes successfully.
  4.    #4  
    Update: User tried hard reset with no success. However, he also informed me that his ROM is at 1.8.11.1 so I told him to sit tight while I find an update. Can I assume this ROM issue is the root cause here?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoracer
    Update: User tried hard reset with no success. However, he also informed me that his ROM is at 1.8.11.1 so I told him to sit tight while I find an update. Can I assume this ROM issue is the root cause here?
    Not sure if it's a firmware issue or not, but the latest version would never hurt. You can get it from here: http://www.htcamerica.net/support/so...loads_8125.htm
  6.    #6  
    Yeah I sent the user to that exact link and he was having difficulty so I suggested he go back to Cingular and ask them to install the new ROM if possible. I don't even know if they'll even do that kind of service but the user's tech skills are less than stellar. I think he's one of those people that never read directions.
  7.    #7  
    Got it running on the old ROM. I don't know what this guy was doing, he came to the office today and GL installed fine on the first try. I'm updating his ROM for good measure.
    Firmware update will require a re-install of GL, but you probably knew that...
    if it hangs at 75% again, contact GL TS and they can assist you in getting the debug log files which will help in diagnosing the issue. The front line techs are impressively sharp and they will drive an issue vs some call centers which are staffed by script readers.

most likely if it hangs and certificates the carrier (perhaps he is roaming) has blocked port UDP12000 as a "security measure" or the device is unable to validate the certificate prior to accepting the installation to continue.