1.    #1  
    I have had my Treo 700p since the first day it came out as an upgrade from a Treo 650. The first thing I did was to install application by application to the new Treo, which is the right way of upgrading. Also, make sure you install the latest version of each application. I did not encounter any problems until I installed hacks and applications that run on the background. By hacks I mean applications that change the way the default OS settings work such as turning off the keyboard or screen.

Applications running on the background
    Anyway, the major problem I had was with Chatter been extremenly slow during load and exit. However, this problem has been fixed in the latest beta. Another problem was Verichat not working on Always on data mode. This has been fixed with a hack posted on TreoCentral. Then, Pocket Tunes was skipping a lot. After the new ChatterEmail beta, PTunes got better, but my rule of thumb is to exit ChatterEmail and Zlauncher before playing music on PTunes. I think I can live with that for now.

Hacks some good some evil
    Yes, hacks can be your best friends or your worst nightmare. So be really careful at picking the right ones. Do lots and lots of research before installing them. Some of them such as UnCache will improve somewhat your Treo performace, but it will do other bad things such as hide Blazer from your default applications and make Blazer really unstable. OK so you figure that out, but the bad part is that if you delete the application it won't delete its database which will create the same problems as the app. You are going to need to manually delete it with a file manager. Others will pretend to work really great such as CallFilter and even some users will say that they never had a problem with it until you start having issues and you don't know why.
    The reason why the SD card get unmounted is because during a reset the SD Card driver seems to be very sensitive at getting itself enable and can get easily disable with any kind of hack. So once again be careful at picking your hacks.

A good advice is to limit your number of hacks to the minimun. only use the ones that are critical for you and that have been updated for the Treo 700p or have been reported as having no issues on the 700p.

I have limited my Treo to the following hacks:
    KeyCaps600
    LedOff
    LudusP
    Yahm
    FontSmoother
    CradleCare (disable:just in case)
    2Dial
    mRing
    FieldPlus
    ShortCut5

Reducing the number of hacks has improved stability on my Treo 700p. I can say that I'm very happy with it and I'm gald I made the upgrade from a Treo 650.

I'm not going to lie, the Treo 700p will benifit a lot from a Palm firmware update, but right now as it is it is a great smartphone and I would recommend it to anybody.

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 07/25/2006 at 08:54 AM.
    Good info, I'm new to the smartphone (700P) aspect of palm but a long time palm user. Is there a way to have the contacts files when searching only list by last name first? My 700p currently looks for the letter anywhere in any file. Not the fastest. Also, is there a way to have a chime or alert that you have a vm? If I am gone from the phone for 10 mins and someone has left me a vm there is no audible notice.
    this is a good thread, anyone else got suggestions for new 700p users??? i think it would be a good thread to place all "lessons learned" from personal experience.
    That is a heck of a list. What do you use LudusP for? I also use Cradle Care (not the car version) and it behaves for me. I could not get Call Filter to work on my 650, so I just gave up with it.

mSafe is also not ready for the 700 - this from MotionApps.

Ben
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tightline
    Good info, I'm new to the smartphone (700P) aspect of palm but a long time palm user. Is there a way to have the contacts files when searching only list by last name first? My 700p currently looks for the letter anywhere in any file. Not the fastest. Also, is there a way to have a chime or alert that you have a vm? If I am gone from the phone for 10 mins and someone has left me a vm there is no audible notice.
    To answer both of your questions: No, there is no such a functionality with the current built in programs. I believe there are other apps and hacks that can do this but I don't recommend them.

Al
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    That is a heck of a list. What do you use LudusP for? I also use Cradle Care (not the car version) and it behaves for me. I could not get Call Filter to work on my 650, so I just gave up with it.

mSafe is also not ready for the 700 - this from MotionApps.

Ben

LudusP allows you to remap your hardware keys to anything you want. I use it to make the green hardware key be my menu key and to make te telephone key lunch the last dial drop down list. I would be careful with LudusP since it is still under testing.

Al
    Yep.

Great thread.

I too am a long time Palm user, but the 700p (8/4/06 trade-up window can't get here fast enough!) will be my first smartphone.

I am anxious to know all I need to before I jump in. I am not a heavy user (mainly phone, some contact work, access to MyBible and multiple bible translations, a few games, and now IM/mail). However, I don't want to muck with it too much with a bunch of hacks. I basically want to be able to create custom ringers for certain callers, be able to check gmail via blazer (don't need push really) and IM when needed, use some eye candy for a launcher, and listen to some mp3's. However, the more I read the more I learn of all the little tweaks that are needed.

I will be following this thread closely... Y'all better not steer me wrong! LOL..

Sean
    TREOLO: I cannot seem to get mRing to work. I've tried it on my 650 and now on my 700. It will reset whenever I use the phone. I thought it was because I use full length mp3's, but I read somewhere that other people have gotten it to work. Can you shed some light on this?
  9.    #9  
    mommy8,

-Are you using the latest version 3.3.3? Only the latest version works fine on the 700p.
    -Are you using any hacks? or have you used any bad hacks before? Note that some hacks require you to delete their database manually using Filez or Eplorer or they will still mess up your system.
    -I have full lenght mp3s as my ringtones and they are fine.
    -Note that mRing is more stable than ringo and has better features.

Al
  10.    #10  
    First thing to do
    -First thing is to disable all hacks and all apps running on the background.
    -Remove the battery and wait for a few seconds and put it back.
    -Try the application again.

Still having issues
    -Delete the application having issues.
    -Try to remember of old hacks mainly and applications that you have recently deleted and make sure that their database is gone too.
    -If you can't find their database reinstall the app and manually delete all files by creator ID using a file manager such as Filez.
    -Reset you Treo
    -Try the application again.

I hope this helps.

Al
    Treolo

I was hoping you could help me out.

I want to install the hacked version of verichat, but currently have the regular version on my 700p. What can I do to FULLY delete all of the verichat files?

I am a complete novice but what I did so far is go to app>delete menu and took out what I could. I have cleanfreak installed on here as well but dont know how to fully take out all of the files associate with verichat?

Any suggestions? I am completely in the dark here and dont understand much of the lingo, let alone the procedures.

Thanks.
    You need a program like Filez. If you have a launcher, you can delete the files from launcher as well. Delete everything that says Verichat on it.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I feel like my 700p slowed down when I tried to install Butler. It was either Butler or RingoPro which have both since been deleted. I still need to do a hard reset one of these days. It seems like the 700p has a built in version of Butler anyway.
    I tried with FileZ and there are two files left both of which cannot be deleted by me. I am getting the following

Error:dmatabase
    Protected in
    Item::remove()d

What should I do?
    Thanks.
    In what ways? I love the alarm feature as well as the keyguard and the attention grabber.

Quote Originally Posted by samboy
    It seems like the 700p has a built in version of Butler anyway.