1.    #1  
    I am interested in an inexpensive way to listen to audio books in my car with my 700p. I see all kinds of FM transmitters for the Ipod. I see 2 listed at TC for 700p. Any recommendations?
    you can use pretty much any transmitter even if its for the ipod, as long as you have the Jack adapter for the treo, wich cost about $5 on the Treo store, i myself i preffer to use the Hi-fidelity Cassete tape adapter, old school, better sound no interference like the transmitters have sometimes.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I agree with rick, I bought an FM transmitter from Radio Shack and it only supported 4 radio frequencies. Well in the city, those 4 frequencies were taken and thus I got lots of interference. Your better off with a cassete adapter. However if your car doesn't have a cassete player and you must get an FM transmitter, make sure it supports more than 4 frequencies.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I use Iriver and it works pretty good, you have numerous channels to pick from, I highly recommend it.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Go with a wired solution. I got tons of interference with a wireless solution. I found myself always changing frequencies when on long drives due to interference. Annoying. I don't have a cassette deck and I had trouble finding an adapter for my aux port on my factory stereo. So I went with a Scosche wired FM Modulator. I believe this is it but check the details:

http://www.scosche.com/scosche_ipod....ItemID=FMMOD01

It plugs into your antenna jack and uses a switch to shut off the external antenna. This has eliminated interference problems. I had to tweak the volume adjustments and use a ground loop interrupt (from Radio Shack) for better sound quality. It is some setup work but if you can hide the cables well and mount the switch nicely, it's worth it. The easiest way obviously is if you can find an adapter for you aux port on your stereo.
    I too went for the wired cassette adapter solution... the FM transmitter, though a good solution in theory, is too much of a hassle to operate (interference) and maintain (charging *another* device, replacing batteries) and carry around (another, different sized piece of equipment, hanging by a wire...)

I just leave the (inexpensive) cassette plugged in...
    i bought a cables-to-go fm transmitter from buy.com a few months ago. pain in the **** to use like all other fm transmitters, but sound quality is surprisingly good in los angeles (for an fm transmitter).

and easier way to go is to simply burn your audiobooks to cd and use your cd player.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to go with the Smartphone Experts Cassette Adapter for Treo 700p from the TC store. It looks like it comes with a 3.5mm to 2.5 adapter for the Treo headset jack. I was looking at headsets today and it seems like most are 3.5mm, so the adapter will come in handy.
    so, phattysalz, is it easy to switch between Treo as mp3 & the radio? is it just a toggle switch you flip? it basically looks like a splitter so you can have 2 inputs, is that pretty accurate?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Check this thread for some suggestions.
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Palm m515 --> Treo600 --> Treo650 --> Treo700p --> Epic4G (all on Sprint)
    I have never owned a car with a tape player that allowed me to use a wired adapter. They always seem to get spit back out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    I have never owned a car with a tape player that allowed me to use a wired adapter. They always seem to get spit back out...
    Maybe you are inserting the cassette the wrong way up (or down)?
    Quote Originally Posted by todivefor
    It looks like it comes with a 3.5mm to 2.5 adapter for the Treo headset jack.
    My suggestion: forget the Treo, buy an inexpensive MP3 player and leave it plugged-in. A Treo is too expensive, and the head-phone jack too finicky to play around with.