1.    #1  
    I see that some people are using preferecne dr. and resco locker and memory info to deal with crashes and reset on the treo .
    can someone explain them a little more and should these be the only reasons to use them?
    I saw somewhere on a thread where it say they can be used to restore your saveb preferences after a back up i thought that when you backed up from an sd card using one of the programs (in my case im using backup man) it did it for you?
    what the issue with clearing the db cache?
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    I've used them all, and they have varied uses. I like PrefDr the best. It just works. It keeps saving a copy of your Prefs, and restores it automatically incase of a reset. You are correct that a backup will save a copy of the Prefs for you, but then you have to manually reapply it to RAM. A search will give you more than I could ever explain about all 3 of these apps. Good luck.
    Communications is the toughest thing we do.
    unlocked Cingular (GSM) Treo 650, 1.51 firmware, 1.17 CNG software
    Is losing prefs STILL an issue on the 700p??
    I have not lost prefs not even once even after some nasty reset loops due to 3rd party apps. I don't have either pref dr or resco products installed
    Treoing & Loving it
    I have had my Treo [700p] since the first day it came out and I have not lost my preferences not even once (knock on wood).

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 07/25/2006 at 09:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I have had my Treo since the first day it came out and I have not lost my preferences not even once (knock on wood).

Al
    I'm gonna add my positive side of the story. While the 700p still has issues, it is way better than the 650. Why?
    -It has lots of memory available and I don't have to sacrifise speed of loading apps from the SD card.
    -It resets way less times than my 650. The 650 would reset just because it wanted to at any point of time during the day. And of course while using it.
    -A reset does not make you lose your saved and unsaved preferences on my 700p. This is a great fix. I have been very pissed at times when that would happen on my 650.
    Here's the fix. The "new" file system has some problems with it that cause it to be a bit unstable. Instead of rewriting the story, below is a link that discusses it in detail:

http://resco.net/palm/backup/aboutbackup.asp

In many situations, third party applications go a long way toward reducing this problem.

I use Preference Doctor only to save/restore lost preferences during resets. This is a very common problem on the 650 and once in a while on the 700p. Preference Doctor does not stop the device from resetting, only aids in restoring it to proper operation.

Resco Locker "locks" applications into memory. There are some programs that do not cope well with the moving memory architecture of the 650/700 series. Upon using Resco Locker, my resets dropped dramatically.

In addition, I also use MemoryInfo to flush the cache - and that along with Resco Locker reduced resets on my Sprint Treo 650 to none (one a month is just not bad) and has also brought my Sprint 700p a high degree of stability (two since I have had it - after I got it set up).

For those of us who use background applications (Chatter, Mobile Clock, Volume Care, Cradle Care, Profiles, the list is hugh), the opportunity for a conflict runs a bit higher. For those of us who also use applications that collect a lot of data (HanDBase, ListToGo), crashes are also a pain.

Take a look at the link and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I meant on my Treo 700p. I assumed we were talking about 700p's since we are on the 700p forum.

Al
    A serious breach of a serious conversation. A serious approach must be used. Be serious, Al!

Ben
    I meant on my Treo 700p. I assumed we were talking about 700p's since we are on the 700p forum.

Al
    Okay, so 700p loses prefs while the 650 never did for you? Interesting.
    Hey, the 700p looses 'em a lot less than the 650. Ben
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    How do I know which apps to "lock" into memory using RescoLocker and which ones not to lock? Perhaps we could start a list of prime candidates?
    reubkov
    Palm Treo 755p with 2GB SanDisk microSD, Launcher X
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Okay, so 700p loses prefs while the 650 never did for you? Interesting.
    Whatever dude..

Al
    Is there an applcation that appears to be unusually unstable? If so, lock it. Take a look at the following site:

http://www.bitsnbolts.com/nvfs.php

Ben