1. ktp
    Hi,

I'm using a blackberry with BIS right now and I'm thinking of changing back to a treo650.

When I was using the treo, they didn't have chattermail/emailtreo combo and i'm wondering if this service is as good as the "push" email function for BB.

Basically, my setup will be that personal and work emails will be forwarded to my email account (emailtreo) and then pull emails from there.

I worry a bit that my phone calls will be missed because i will be constantly using data connection.

But basically, before I make the switch, i need a good vote of confidence taht emailtreo/chattermail is on bar with blackberry's push email.

I appreciate your thoughts and look forward to hearing you all in this forum.

Cheers,
    KTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ktp
    When I was using the treo, they didn't have chattermail/emailtreo combo and i'm wondering if this service is as good as the "push" email function for BB.
    As long as you're using a IMAP server that supports the IDLE function (most do) or MS Exchange (on a compatible carrier), then absolutely yes. And Chatter can do this on *any* folder (or even more than one, depending on how many sockets you want to use) folder of an account, not just the Inbox.

Basically, my setup will be that personal and work emails will be forwarded to my email account (emailtreo) and then pull emails from there.
    You could do that, sure... but with Chatter, you might well decide simply to have multiple email accounts. Let you mail stay where it was originally and enable yourself to truly separate work and personal email, while working on the same device.

I worry a bit that my phone calls will be missed because i will be constantly using data connection.
    Answer: GSM or EVDO.

But basically, before I make the switch, i need a good vote of confidence taht emailtreo/chattermail is on bar with blackberry's push email.
    Well, only you will be able to make that judgement... your decision factors may not be the same as anyone else's. I was a 4-year use of BB before I made the switch and I have never wished I had my BB back -- except that the 950's keyboard was SO much better, but that's a device issue.

As far as more general considerations, CE doesn't have a monthly subscription, doesn't depending on a back-end gateway (in addition to your email service), so it's much less expensive and much easier to administrate. It does not currently have wireless PIM sync capabilities with Exchange, but that is in the offing. And, so far as I know, only syncing with Exchange is planned... so if you're using Notes, then that might be a consideration.

There might be other stuff I could comment on, but it would help to know what your top 3 or 5 selection criteria are...
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    In addition to GSM or CDMA with EVDO, if you have Verizon, VZW just rolled out CPOP for 1xRTT which allows you to receive phone calls even when data is active so there's no more missing phone calls or calls going straight to voice mail. (I'm not sure if there's an equivalent service offerred by Sprint.)
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc
    In addition to GSM or CDMA with EVDO, if you have Verizon, VZW just rolled out CPOP for 1xRTT which allows you to receive phone calls even when data is active so there's no more missing phone calls or calls going straight to voice mail. (I'm not sure if there's an equivalent service offerred by Sprint.)
    If you have an EVDO signal with Sprint voice calls come through when you have an active data session. Sprint has not implemented CPOP for 1xrtt.
  5. ktp
    hi,

thank you for your reponses.

at this point i just need a device that runs email and IM (verichat if on treo)

i have two Gmail accounts that i use: one for personal and the other for work. Neither accounts are on IMAP, so I would need to get something like emailtreo with Chatter to read emails and then SMTP it out to send.

as for my network, since i'm in hong kong, it's GSM for the moment. Though, i'm looking forward to the UMTS treo running on palm, i hope that's what the lennon/nitro will be.

thank you again for your advice. (It looks like my phone company will take back my 8707v, which in its own right is pretty sweet, but not for me)

cheers,
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=ktp]hi,

thank you for your reponses.

at this point i just need a device that runs email and IM (verichat if on treo)

i have two Gmail accounts that i use: one for personal and the other for work. Neither accounts are on IMAP, so I would need to get something like emailtreo with Chatter to read emails and then SMTP it out to send.

/snip/QUOTE]

Another option that may save from forwarding to an IMAP account is to forwad your gmail to your SMS email address and use the SMS trigger within Chatter to then POP from Gmail. While this is not true 'Push' it is pretty close and depending on the frequency of email receipt, this will surely save some battery life.

Good luck...

gottgo...