View Poll Results: Preferred Word Proecessing Software?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Documents to Go Pro

9 4.25%
  • QuickWord (QuickOffice)

33 15.57%
  • WordSmith

158 74.53%
  • Other

12 5.66%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I use Wordsmith and Doc's to Go.

Doc's to Go mainly for reading standard doc's and procedures. And Wordsmith if I need to create a new doc.
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    QED. Small, fast and I don't do much formatting beyond blank lines, tab indents and capitilization on the Visor (other formatting reserved for the "big screen").

I do have SmartDoc (own Quickword, but I found it slower opening than SmartDoc). I typically use SmartDoc more for the global find feature and ability to easily delete all bookmarks if I've shifted the doc around enough to need to re-scan. QED has to delete one at a time. If bookmarks have moved QED will wind up with multiple incidences of the same bookmark in the list.

BTW - I'm testing TextPlus and it is a great tool for more rapid input of text. So far I highly recommend it. Worth the $$ ($19.95 PalmGear).
    Steve
    "Gort, Klatu verada nictu."
    I have all three.
    1. Prism - Quickoffice - I need the spreedsheet and graph program.
    2. Platinum - Quickword - This is superior.
    3. Deluxe - Doc to Go - First program I ran across when I purchased my deluxe.
    [file:///C|/eyemodule/RICOROSSI/Unfiled/Rico.jpg]
    do you use three handhelds?
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by timmins
    do you use three handhelds?
    Do you have three hands?!?!?!?
    I own all three. WordSmith is the best "real" word processor, but I've noticed that it sometimes doesn't transfer over documents during the sync, and I'm not real pleased that it turns all my sync'd docs on the PC side into RTF formatted documents. I also like the way it handles DOC and memo files.

DTG was too slow in it's earlier incarnations, but the latest release is fast enough to follow my text input, either through graffiti or the Stowaway. Even though it doesn't add a toolbar button the way WS and QW do, I've found it's syncing capabilities to be flawless.

QuickWord is somewhere between the two. What I'd like is:
    Wordsmith that converts to native word DOC format; I guess this, however, wouldn't be so great for Mac users....

- Dan
    Originally posted by soulbarn
    What I'd like is:
    Wordsmith that converts to native word DOC format; I guess this, however, wouldn't be so great for Mac users....

- Dan
    Wouldn't be too great for non-Word users on the PC either. What difference does it make as long as you save the file as .doc? It should be completely transparent.
    quickoffice is good if you want a low footprint (and fast) document reader with no formatting capabilities. Synchs take long though. Good integration with Qucksheet and ability to see charts.

wordsmith is slower to open, but integrates memopad and document reader. Also you can format text.

Docs to go let's you see some formatting from documents and spreadsheets, but the files also end up being 2-3x's as large as in the other two programs. The biggest drawback is that you can't edit them at all.

i had to delete quickoffice because it was crashing my palm... I think i needed to update, but since i never paid for the old version...i might as well go for the more flexible word processor (wordsmith).
    I own TakeNote (because it came free with my much-beloved GoType) and have used it for taking minutes in meetings. It works fine, as long as I remember to close & re-open the document periodically to save changes. If I went too long without doing so, it had a disconcerting habit of locking up, so that I had to do a soft reset of my VDx & lost all my work since the last time I had closed/re-opened. Synchronizing was always sort of weird & buggy. All this is based on v1.0, so maybe matters have improved.

Currently, I'm testing out WordSmith & have been delighted so far. Synchronization works perfectly in both directions. Due to the shortcut bar, the screen seems a little small for reading books, but hey, I've got Peanut/Palm Reader for that. If only WS had support for styles, I'd be ecstatic.

Kirrha
    Originally posted by Kirrha
    Currently, I'm testing out WordSmith & have been delighted so far. Synchronization works perfectly in both directions. Due to the shortcut bar, the screen seems a little small for reading books, but hey, I've got Peanut/Palm Reader for that. If only WS had support for styles, I'd be ecstatic.

Kirrha
    You can always hide the shortcut bar in WordSmith by tapping on the arrow to the right of the bar. Or just use full-screen mode. Version 1.1 of WordSmith preserves styles now. Actually being able to use styles within WordSmith will definitely be added in the future.
    Originally posted by dragon
    Docs to go let's you see some formatting from documents and spreadsheets, but the files also end up being 2-3x's as large as in the other two programs. The biggest drawback is that you can't edit them at all.[/B]
    Version 3.00 of Docs to Go does allow editing of files on the handheld device. Version 3.03 (the current version) also allows the creation of new files on the handheld device. I wish it handled formatting of paragraphs better (tabs, bullets, etc) and handled font sizes better. It does a good job with tables and font formatting such as bold, underlined, and italics.
    Donate Blood!!!
    Visit here to see how: America's Blood Centers
    Doc to Go just posted an update (version 3.04). It allows you to view (but not edit) PDF documents.
    Donate Blood!!!
    Visit here to see how: America's Blood Centers
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12