1.    #1  
    how do you get tomtom to display the direction of a highway. all it displays is the highway number and no information about which direction you're supposed to go in. today there was a highway whose east and west on ramps were right next to each other and tomtom just said turn left no info about east or west. very confusing
    Didn't the screen show a highlight of the path you should take? You can also see a text display of the map route.
  3.    #3  
    east and west were right next to each other... both left turns
    Yes but the screen highlights the direction to take.....which was highlighted the 1st or the 2nd. If you zoom out you can also see where you go off the ramp so if you heading north and after the ramp the directions is left, you know it's west. Finally, look at the text view....I think that indicates direction.
    Does anybody know how to display addresses when you're searching for a POI in a city??

Example: a friend tells me to meet them at McDonald's on main street in a certain city, and tells me what street it's on. I search for a POI in a city and the list gives me 30 different "McDonald's" and the distance to each of them, but there's no way to see the addresses without clicking on each one and showing a map?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo
    east and west were right next to each other... both left turns
    As I approach the exit, the voice on mine tells me to stay left or stay right.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhboyd
    But when you approach a highway (motorway) exit, and you are traveling say north, both the east and west exits for an intersecting highway will be (usually) on the right. What he is saying is....when they are both on right and very close togetehr, he's having trouble figuring out do I take 1st one or 2nd one.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    But when you approach a highway (motorway) exit, and you are traveling say north, both the east and west exits for an intersecting highway will be (usually) on the right. What he is saying is....when they are both on right and very close togetehr, he's having trouble figuring out do I take 1st one or 2nd one.
    No, I meant exactly what I said. The voice says to take the exit and then bear or stay right if I am to take the right fork, or bear or stay left if I am to take the left fork. Los Angeles has LOTS of these double exits, and the voice keeps me in the correct lane.
  9.    #9  
    There is no chance to bear right or left. It's two 90 degree left turns one after the other. The lack of east/west/north/south labels also makes figuring out simple directions with just the text directions nearly impossible.... and what's up with all the unamed streets...
    No, I meant exactly what I said. The voice says to take the exit and then bear or stay right if I am to take the right fork, or bear or stay left if I am to take the left fork. Los Angeles has LOTS of these double exits, and the voice keeps me in the correct lane.
    Sometimes......Going south from NYC to DC just after the Delaware bridge there's a huge merge and it doesn't say a word.....on the way back it does.....maybe I got that backwards but one way it does, one way it doesn't....on NJT it gives ya a buynch por bear left , bear right bear left stuff and there's not a dran thing in sight to do but stay in your lane.

Most times the bear right, bear left thing works just fine. But there are occassions where it just doesn't say anything ....7?7 / I90 exhange in Albany for example. There's two successive right turn exits only 70 or so feet apart on the service road and all I get is a voice prompt is go right. But by looking at the highlighted path on the screen I saw that it wanted me to take the 2nd right.

I was in Boston 2 weeks ago and TT took me into a parking garage at the bus terminal...had to take ticket, drive 65 feet and hand in ticket....clerk let me out w/o paying . It wanted me to be on the road BELOW the elevated highway but they moved the original exit to put the bus ramp one in and it took me there instead cause the maps aren't updated yet.....whole nterchange is still under construction.
    There is no chance to bear right or left. It's two 90 degree left turns one after the other. The lack of east/west/north/south labels also makes figuring out simple directions with just the text directions nearly impossible.... and what's up with all the unamed streets...
    For me at least, the distance to the turn identifies if I am supposed to take this turn, or the next one 20 yards up the road. Yes, there have been a few times where I took the wrong one, but not normally.

Roads are always being added or underconstruction, and that is just something I have to deal with. I wish they had a more up to date map. But, it has gotten me to the right place, or back to it when I take a wrong turn, that it is doing its job far better than I do.
  12.    #12  
    I just don't understand why they can't add directions to roads... doesn't cost a lot of effort and makes the product 10x better.
    For me at least, the distance to the turn identifies if I am supposed to take this turn, or the next one 20 yards up the road. Yes, there have been a few times where I took the wrong one, but not normally.
    In the one instance I noted, the two exits were the width of the painted lane line apart. Ya got on the exit lane and then it said 200 yards.....I had to choose between the one that was 200 yards and the one that was 204 yards which was easy when looking at teh picture.....if I had to rely on the voice I wouldn't have been able to decide and wound up stopped on the crosshatched white lines in front of the exploding water barrels which they place in front of the concrete divider between the two lanes as they split. Occassionally there's just gonne be a situation where what ya gotta do doesn't fit into one of the 69 or so individual voice files in the software.

69 gets used up pretty fast when 100, 200, 400, 800, yards and meters eat up 6 of them just on distance.
    It will if that is an option....as in two lanes exit to right and then the left lane goes to 2nd exit while right to 1st...in such instances the two are far apart. There are rare instances where the limited voice files can;t "fit" every situation and ya have to check screen....twice for me so far in over a year's usage.
  15.    #15  
    what are the rumors for tomtom 6?
    what are the rumors for tomtom 6?
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=111323