1.    #1  
    As time goes on and I install or demo new programs, I've noticed that I'm starting to collect some things on my Visor that I don't know for sure what they are, or if it's OK to delete them.

For instance, if I go to Delete from the Apps menu, one of the things I see listed there now is libmal, at about 120k. I don't know what this is...is it part of the Peanut Reader, or some other program, I've installed?? If I don't know what it is, how do I know if it's OK to delete it?

Likewise, if I use Beam Box to examine the DATA on the Visor (which seems to somewhat correspond to databases stored on it, in one form or another), I see things like LauncherDB...is this left over from my demo of Launch 'Em (which means I could delete it) or is it related to the Visor-resident applications launcher, in which case I shouldn't delete it. I also see something called MBInDeviceInfo listed in Data. Strangely, when I use Beam Box to examine Apps, I DON'T find the libmal entry that's listed as available for deletion from Visor's own Delete menu?!?

Anyway, what I was wondering is, is there some software that helps explain what EVERYTHING currently on your Visor is, so that you can determine what can/should be deleted?? I envision something that actually lets you examine what's inside an application or database file, assuming that looking inside it would provide some clue as to what it's function is. Just something that can somehow ferret out files that don't really need to be on the system anymore, something like when you use Norton Utilities or something similar to find "orphaned" files and unused DLL's on a Windows system.

Barring this, does anyone know what libmal in the Apps list is, or what LauncherDB and MBInDeviceInfo are in a list of data, and whether they can be removed??
    Originally posted by Morbius
    Barring this, does anyone know what libmal in the Apps list is, or what LauncherDB and MBInDeviceInfo are in a list of data, and whether they can be removed?? [/B]
    I believe both libmal and MBInDeviceInfo are libraries used by programs such as AvantGo and MobileLink. LauncherDB stores the categories of the default launcher. You can delete LauncherDB without causing much problems except that you'll lose all your category settings for your apps (yes, I did that once :P).

As for a software utility, Z'Catalog and FileZ are the closest things on the Visor. You can give them a try but they are nowhere close to Norton.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info...I do have AvantGo installed, so your explaination fits. I just wish there was a better way to keep track of all the different files that get installed and what they're related to.
    I second that concern. I've got a lot of junk I'm afraid to delete. I suppose I could use my backup module, delete the questionable files, see what happens, and if it crashed my Prism or otherwise limited its functionality I could just restore from backup.

Still, seems pretty cumbersome.
    Alas, I cannot remember the name, but there exists a program that will observe the installation of new software to your Visor, and allow you to remove all the fiddly bits it leaves.
    you'll want to check out two apps:

filez

and

inwatch uninstaller

both of which will be of use with this problem of which files do what.

mensachicken
  7.    #7  
    Thanks, I'll take a look at these programs.
    i haven't looked too closely at this yet, been too busy playing with my new toy (a Xircom Modem that's been with me a day!).

Anyway, it includes an app called File Mover onboard that allows you to sort and group files by their "Creator"
    Filez 2.3 has a similar feature (change the display for the 2nd column by tapping the arrow and selecting "Creator", then click on the Creator column header to sort it).

My quick evaluation seemed to reveal that Filez only provides the 4 character creator code whilst File Mover attempts to provide the app name where possible - I stand to be corrected on this one b'cos my visors not by my side at the mo but I think thats how it went.

Don't fret if you don't have File Mover, most creator names are self explanatory so (the free) Filez does the job admirably.
    Yes - in FileMover, if you select the "all" view, it will show you the Creator, which is the application name, and then it drops down and lists the files/data that is associated with it. My only problem is identifying the creator/application name. I find that those are sometimes just as confusing and unidentifiable as the file/data names. I have many things on my Visor that I would like to delete but am afraid to.

What are Ds01 Files, EDB@ Files, MBIn Files, SSle Files, TDBP Files, and TcA3 Files? I don't have a clue and I won't be deleting them until I do. I am famous for deleting things that have a function (or should I say infamous?).
    Sorry for the plug, but I have a shareware application called FirstBase that is very handy when you want to look at the store of your device. It is shareware, but even the unregistered version does lots of useful stuff. You can find it at www.bobbyw.com.
    Originally posted by MoKoni
    What are Ds01 Files, EDB@ Files, MBIn Files, SSle Files, TDBP Files, and TcA3 Files? I don't have a clue and I won't be deleting them until I do. I am famous for deleting things that have a function (or should I say infamous?).
    Among PalmOS's developersí pages, there is a page where developers are supposed to register their Creator IDs for any application they produce. There one will find a simple search engine, which one can use to search to see if a given Creator ID is already registered, and usually to what program it is registered to. From this I find the following:
    Code:
    Creator ID  Application Name           Description 
    Ds01        Gift Tracker               Gift-Recipient Tracking Program 
    EDB@        Pine Tree Software   
    MBIn        <not registered>
    SSle        Launch 'Em                 Launch 'Em version 2.0 
    TDBP        <registered, but no info>
    TcA3        TotalCar                   Complete Car Maintenance/Repair/Fuel Log
    Last edited by potter; 02/22/2001 at 09:36 AM.
  12.    #12  
    Is there anyway to get this "File Mover" program separately? I like the idea of it showing the whole application name for associated files. I've just tried FileZ, and there are still some files listed with cryptic "Creators" that I can't identify.
    Hey potter, thanks for the information and the link. I bookmarked it for future use. I shall now start deleting...