Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Loaded all the maps to the Mem Card...

Do I need to load the individd state maps, or just the main ones (like midwest, or do I need to load IL too)

Also does it autoswitch maps while you are driving?

Tx!
    no it doesn't autoswitch maps. the state maps and the 'main' maps are the same... the individual state maps just take up less space.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    ****! So if I am driving from Chgo to Ny I will have to switch maps to get details??

Thats a good reason to get a standalone unit??
    TomTom sells a complete map of the US you can load (if you have a large enough SD card) so you won't have to switch. Why this isn't an included option I have no idea. I think it's about $110.
    So they can easily make a cool $110 on top of what they already made off ya??

Anyway, the only full map of the US that I know about is the Major Roads one. You talking about this one? If not, do you have to call them or something (I've never seen this on their site)? They just might make a little easy cash off of me...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsys
    ****! So if I am driving from Chgo to Ny I will have to switch maps to get details??
    I don't think you have to switch more than once. You can select the Midwest Map, and then when you get the 'border' switch to the NE group map.

John
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Can anyone verify if there is a US map??? It would suck having to pay $$$ for it!
    Can anyone verify if there is a US map??? It would suck having to pay $$$ for it!
    The TomTom site only lists the maps that are already included on the CD set
    the major roads of the us is finee for getting from city to city. chi town to ny foe example. once you get to pennsy, switch to the northeast map and then u will have all the detail you could need. don't get a stand alone, as the integrated contacts addresses are so clutch, especially when you can use directory assistant while driving,.... to find that kinkos fedex or japanese restauraunt in parsipanny you need to stop at before u get to new york. (save them as contacts then gps right to them) most stand alone units I've seen can not do this effectively. tomtom rocks, granted a us roaf maps update for 2007 wud be even sweeter, as there has been a lot of construction since 2004.
    According to their tech support department, the map called "Maps of North America" is all the included partial maps combined into one map. It's 1.4 GB and costs 119.05 euros. If you don't have a SD card with at least 1.4 GB free then you won't be able to use this map.
    Quote Originally Posted by edwinsneller
    According to their tech support department, the map called "Maps of North America" is all the included partial maps combined into one map. It's 1.4 GB and costs 119.05 euros. If you don't have a SD card with at least 1.4 GB free then you won't be able to use this map.
    Can you integrate the smaller maps into one large one yourself? I have the space and the regional maps.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Where did you find that??? I am intrested... Funny that after I loaded ALL of the maps, it used up 1.4gb as well!
    I wonder if there's memory issues associated with laoding that one bug map ?

But there is a map pof the US on the standard TT CD's...it's called major roads. Assuming you are going from your house in NY to Disneyland in Califirnia, worst case is 2 maps.....you should be able to get to a major road where you loive w/o help and using the majhor roads map would get you to californie...then ya switch to the "West Coast map or whatever its called.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I wonder if there's memory issues associated with laoding that one bug map ?

But there is a map pof the US on the standard TT CD's...it's called major roads. Assuming you are going from your house in NY to Disneyland in Califirnia, worst case is 2 maps.....you should be able to get to a major road where you loive w/o help and using the majhor roads map would get you to californie...then ya switch to the "West Coast map or whatever its called.

I am doing this with an east coast/mid west trip soon. Major roads will get me state/city to state/city and then I will have the regional maps loaded as well to switch to when needed.
    yep.
    This is rather odd. I called TomTom support with this very question ... even indicating that I would pay for some kind of a combined map and that I have a 2 Gig card that I could dedicated to maps. I was told in no uncertain terms that this is not possible and they have NO combined maps of the US.

I then asked if there was a different combination of maps .. for example, I was traveling from California to Colorado on I-80 and while I realized that I could have used the "Major Roads" map, I wanted to make a map that held Utah, Wyoming and Colorado on 1 map .. I was told this would only be possible with the "Major Roads" map.

So, I don't know where you get this info, but their own Tech Support does not seem to know about it.

My TomTom Support call ID for the call is 060627-002259 and was placed on 6/27/06 at 10:30am Pacific time, if you need a reference.

jamesalexander (at) compuserve.com
    Here's a copy of the email I placed to tech support Jan 18, 2006 and their answer:

====================
    Q:
    How do I select an address to navigate toward that isn't included in my installed map set?

Is there an install that includes all of the US state info?

A:
    You can purchase from the link here bellow the Maps of North America (US and Canada):
    http://www.tomtom.com/plus/services/mds.php

FYI: A SD card of will be needed for the installation of this map and you therefore need to check weither or not you Palm is able to read SD cards of this importance.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

====================

I didn't feel the need to spend $150 just to satisfy my curiosity but if you think about it there has to be a map of the whole US somewhere. The TomTom GO units can navigate seemlessly without switching maps.

Someone needs to buy this map and solve the riddle of the TomTom.
    You can purchase from the link here bellow the Maps of North America (US and Canada):
    http://www.tomtom.com/plus/services/mds.php

Asmuch as I wish it were ture, it seems ed had misreadthe link.

Quote Originally Posted by from tomtomwebsite
    This product allows you to download the seven (above mentioned) individual regional maps of North America including the Western region, Plains region, South Central region, Midwest region, Southeast region, New England & Mid Atlantic region, Alaska and all of Canada. Does not include Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Guam.
    Its not a combined map, its just all the smaller regional maps available at a reduced price, so your not paying 50 per.
    I was just passing on what tech support told me.

Glad I didn't spend the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet
    Asmuch as I wish it were ture, it seems ed had misreadthe link.

Its not a combined map, its just all the smaller regional maps available at a reduced price, so your not paying 50 per.
    This is exactly right. The list of maps is similar to what I already have on the CD from TomTom with the exception that I also have Hawaii on my CD.

I have the regions loaded that allowed me to do the trip I wanted, I just had to switch between the Major roads map and the regional map when I was trying to navigate to a specific address.

And the worst part about it is that TomTom support does not seem in the least bit bothered by this limitation.

jamesalexander (at) compuserve.com

Thats a good reason to get a standalone unit??
    Yes, but only to get details.

I drove from Monterey, CA to Stamford, CT using only the Major Roads map. There were points of interest near the "major roads" that I could not find. However, that did not mean that I could not find any.

This is both a Palm OS memory problem and a performance problem. If one wants to put the whole world in one map, it will require a lot of memory and take time to search it. I find managing TomTom maps to be better than some other systems, particularly including paper maps. (My Bose in-dash system requires 5 CDs to cover the US (and I only have the one that covers California and Nevada.))
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast