I just wanted to post a reply I recieved from SLING:

"We have received much enthusiasm regarding support for other mobile
    platforms, such as Palm, RIM Blackberry, Symbian, J2ME, and BREW. We
    are currently evaluating such opportunities for SlingPlayer Mobile, and
    will provide information on our website as soon as available. Please
    feel free to check out our forums at the following URL for more
    information and to post questions regarding the Palm OS support."

PLEASE KEEP THE EMAILS COMING

PS: I don't want to say "I told you so" . . . . buuuutt to the guy earlier who said these emails would just be tossed aside . . . . . . .
    E-Mail sent.

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek
    PS: I don't want to say "I told you so" . . . . buuuutt to the guy earlier who said these emails would just be tossed aside . . . . . . .
    I'm fairly sure Sling is monitoring these threads. They are a member here. I don't know in what state a Sling player for the 700p might be in house (alpha, pre-Beta, Beta, or notes on a cocktail napkin) but I'd be VERY surprised if we didn't see a PalmOS Sling player released by the end of this year.

There are legions of 700p owners who are ready to whip out the plastic and buy a Slingbox as soon as a PalmOS player appears. Sling Shirley knows this and to ignore those potential customers for their $200.00 product would simply be foolish. I think it's absolutely a (potentially) killer app and I would use it constantly. SprintTV is a huge disappointment to me. I'm already coughing up enough bucks a month to Time-Warner for my digital cable service. To be able to carry around all those channels in the ::coff:: Palm ::coff:: of my hand is just a very sexy concept. Almost, but not quite enough to get me to buy a 700w, but does Verizon sell a data only plan with no voice plan? I don't think so, and I don't think, as a 650 and 700p owner, that I need three cell phone numbers. Sprint already gets their pound of flesh from me every month. I don't need to help Verizon's CEO buy a longer yacht too. Although if Verizon DID sell a data only plan, I'd be seriously tempted to get a 700w JUST to run the WM Sling player on it and use it for nothing else.

Still, a 700p's 320x320 is much higher resolution than a 700w's 240x240. And anyone who has run a browser and looked at graphics or videos on the two side by side can easily tell how superior a display the 700p provides.

Sling Media is definitely listening. They're just not willing to put their cards on the table quite yet. Any company who can produce such a radically cool product is not run by dummies.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 07/29/2006 at 03:52 AM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I hate to be negative, but look how long its taking them to get the mac version out... I doubt we will see a sling version for our 700p's.

Although, I would love to be pleasantly suprised. But I need both mac and palm. And now that the newer macs are able to run windows and osx I fear developers will just abandon ppc. I have a great setup, with hdtv, dvr, VZW 700p, G5, G4 powerbook, and a 1mb up/10mbps down cable connection, that just needs a streaming solution...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    Sling Media is definitely listening. They're just not willing to put their cards on the table quite yet. Any company who can produce such a radically cool product is not run by dummies.
    Harv
    Yes, very sharp people indeed. They remind me a little of the Tivo group. The nerds are the ones that give a product the initial push it needs before the masses pick it up, and most of them are using Palm OS, so this really needs to be addressed. (ducks)

I hope you are right about the end of the year. I bought a Netgear wireless bridge especially for use on the Slingbox. It is sitting in the box unopened as I still haven't made the final jump and actually purchased one. Though I may not use it constantly, a palm client would definitely influence me to make the purchase now.
    Orb seems to work here if you have a TV Card in your home PC and a high speed internet connection. Could it be a Slingbox killer?

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I know it's not the same, but here's how I get [non-streaming] TiVo content on to my Treo using Sling.

I bought this little app called "SlingCorder" (they've since changed the name) and what I do is start the stream on my Tivo (or whatever) via Sling then launch the SlingCorder. I end up with I nice video file that I just move over to my Treo's SD card as needed. You DO have to plan a little, but it's worked well for me until Sling announces a Palm version.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    I know it's not the same, but here's how I get [non-streaming] TiVo content on to my Treo using Sling.

I bought this little app called "SlingCorder" (they've since changed the name) and what I do is start the stream on my Tivo (or whatever) via Sling then launch the SlingCorder. I end up with I nice video file that I just move over to my Treo's SD card as needed. You DO have to plan a little, but it's worked well for me until Sling announces a Palm version.
    Though not ideal, this does sound like a decent solution. My understanding is that this program is on your computer?

Are you using a capture card? Or does this work over an internet connection?

Also, it would be great if a few others could post their responses from Sling, especially if they offer additional information from the one I recieved/posted.
    I have the slingcorder on a PC. I use slingbox to play the video stream on the PC and capture it via slingcorder. I then (usually) use pocket DVD or something to shrink the size down a bit.
    Last edited by ksmith80209; 08/03/2006 at 04:19 PM.
    that would be really cool.
    Found the link: http://www.applian.com/at-large-recorder/index.php

Looks like they have a free trial. Works great for me - I recorded/transferred all the world cup games to watch on the plane!

[i have no affiliation with Applian except for being a customer]
    Global Posts
    1,586 Global Posts
    Hope I'm not flamed for necroing this thread, but I think it's important for as many folks out there as possible to email Slingbox and ask them to make their product available on the Palm OS platform. Just think of watching the Alabama Crimson Tide whoop azz on some poor unfortunate football team in live, living color, while a passenger in a car (or driving it for those of you who are less safety conscious). Cool, eh?

I emailed them today.
    John 3:16-18

Handspring Visor Prism w/Digital Link -> Palm Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC 6700 -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9780 -> Blackberry Torch -> Palm Treo 755p -> BlackBerry Bold 9930
    i sent them an email also.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Around 90% of the folks I know who own a Sling Box don't own any sort of wired PDA. They are to busy trying to watch ESPN or soap operas on there work PC.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    While I would love to have Sling on my 700p, in the meantime I picked up a Dell Axim 51v. I teather the Axim to the Treo and volia.....Slingplayer! The speed is great!

The Axim makes a nice little portable live TV viewer! There is also software that lets me watch the MLB.TV broadcasts as well as the IP cameras I have set up at the house. I don't use the Axim for anything else. Yes, I have to carry a separate device and it's not ideal, but it's very doable!
    Oh and I emailed Sling. Still love my ORB though!
    Last edited by drei22; 08/22/2006 at 06:23 PM.
    miteman, I have a dell axim 51v also and would like to know more info about this, please send me a pmm thanks.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    I use Orb, but would love to have SlingBox.

Email Sent!!!
    Have you heard Marillion's Marbles? www.Marillion.com

PalmPilot, Palm 512K, Palm V, Sony Clie N760C, Sony Clie NX-70V, Treo 600, Sony Ericsson P900, BlackBerry 7100t, Siemens SX1, Nokia 7710, Siemens SK65, Treo 650... Currently, Treo 700P.

Yes, I have a problem and I am trying to get help.
    Saw this...Sounds promising...
    "Currently, the Slingbox only supports Windows and Windows Mobile. I've talked to their head honchos, and they ARE working on a PalmOS version of their software for the 700p, but it's still a few months away. I have a Slingbox sitting here in my "stuff to review" pile and when they release the PalmOS version of their Slingbox player/controller, you'll see my write-up on TreoCentral."

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/833-6.htm
    3 paragraphs from the bottom
    Email sent.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast