Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The funny thing about this is that it's the truth.

Many of us would buy a slingbox if they would only support our palm.

With WMV support and EVDO built into the 700p, you think this wouldn't be so hard.
    sent email.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek
    This is the only contact we have at this time. My emails have been personally responded to thus far, so this information is reaching someone. They are a small company. FREQUENT emails requesting a PALM client WILL create a buzz as to the demand for this product. I appreciate everyone who has already emailed them, and I encourage people to continue doing so.

Maybe JOE who recieves this email is not the one who makes these calls. BUT when Joe recieves 20 in a day he says WOW these PALM guys really want a client. He tells BOB and SUE over lunch . . . . etc etc. Eventually this information WILL reach the appropriate oerson.

We know they have considered a PALM client in the past. This will hopefully expedite development, or if they have stopped development, possibly make them reconsider.

Small companies are often very receptive to these kinds of requests. I think we stand a very good chace of getting a PALM client, if we continue to voice how much we would like one.
    Joe at tech support does not say "WOW." He markes it as a irrelevent and no one else ever knows of it.

You do know about the fact that slingbox decided to can the idea back in march? have you read the slingbox support forums on this very topic? with palm deciding that this is the last treo on the palm os it is hard to believe they are going to change their minds with an ever decreasing market share.

the problem is not slingbox...it is palm. they have NO team dedicated to helping developers with new applications. You do know that right?

Joe at tech support, and slingbox who pay him, do not want to deal with palm's shallow to nil help compared to MS rather huge team helping him with wm support
    You obviously do not work in business development at any successful business. Businesses don't decide whether or not to bring a product to market based on whether that particular product is going to be produced in the FUTURE; companies bring products to market that identifies a need and FILLS THE DEMAND for it. If that were true, no one would make parts for 1965 Mustangs or 1971 Hemi 'Cudas... They stopped making those cars 30+ years ago - but the DEMAND still exists. I'm in no way saying that sending a measly email is going to cause a riot over at Sling Media, but it sure doesn't cost me anything to let them know what I want, and I have a heckuva lot to gain from it if for some reason they do decide to develop a Palm client.

Javier
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by javylsu
    You obviously do not work in business development at any successful business. Businesses don't decide whether or not to bring a product to market based on whether that particular product is going to be produced in the FUTURE; companies bring products to market that identifies a need and FILLS THE DEMAND for it. If that were true, no one would make parts for 1965 Mustangs or 1971 Hemi 'Cudas... They stopped making those cars 30+ years ago - but the DEMAND still exists. I'm in no way saying that sending a measly email is going to cause a riot over at Sling Media, but it sure doesn't cost me anything to let them know what I want, and I have a heckuva lot to gain from it if for some reason they do decide to develop a Palm client.

Javier

Very well said, and I could not agree more. Besides the fact that the 700p will be sold for the next year or two (heck the GSM is't even out yet!) and just because something does eventually replace it, does not mean everyone is going to upgrade THAT day. How many on here still have Treo 600's!!

Palm is selling approx 2 million Treo's a year last time I checked. That would be a massive user base for SLING to just "pass up" because in a year or two there will be a replacement. I do know that PALM is not great at assisting developers. BUT knowing all these users would buy both a SLINGBOX and pay for the PALM client, SLING would be wise to look at the money generated by such a product. BEYOND this, companies like SLING, in new nitch markets need to create customer familiarity. If they don't create a PALM client, one of these upstart copy cats WILL. MANY of those users would then be lost FOREVER as they become familiar with a competitors product. They could easily allow competition to creep in by not meeting a demand in their marketplace.

Not only would a PALM client be fun for US! It would be a wise business move for SLING.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    Many of us would buy a slingbox if they would only support our palm.
    I know I would. Also, I've sent Sling a request for a PalmOS client. So that's where I stand on the issue, but...

Palm is selling approx 2 million Treo's a year last time I checked. [...] BUT knowing all these users would buy both a SLINGBOX and pay for the PALM client, SLING would be wise to look at the money generated by such a product. [...] Not only would a PALM client be fun for US! It would be a wise business move for SLING.
    I have my doubts about that from what I've seen of the average Treo user. Joe Average Treo owner doesn't load up his handheld with lots of apps; he maybe installs what's on the CD or pics up a few nifty apps beamed by a fellow slightly more savvy Treo owner. I think the experience we get on this forum is highly skewed to the very advanced Treo user. TreoCentral has ~58,000 members as of today and that's only 3% of your 2 million units a year. Given the debate over "is PalmOS is a dead platform?" I question if it makes business sense for Sling Media to invest in a PalmOS client.

But all that being said, if they did produce one that worked with my DirecTV/Tivo box I'd buy it.

ERic
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Palm m515 --> Treo600 --> Treo650 --> Treo700p --> Epic4G (all on Sprint)
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ

I have my doubts about that from what I've seen of the average Treo user. Joe Average Treo owner doesn't load up his handheld with lots of apps; he maybe installs what's on the CD or pics up a few nifty apps beamed by a fellow slightly more savvy Treo owner. I think the experience we get on this forum is highly skewed to the very advanced Treo user. TreoCentral has ~58,000 members as of today and that's only 3% of your 2 million units a year. Given the debate over "is PalmOS is a dead platform?" I question if it makes business sense for Sling Media to invest in a PalmOS client.

But all that being said, if they did produce one that worked with my DirecTV/Tivo box I'd buy it.

ERic
    I respect your opinion on this but I do partially disagree. Although you are correct that not ALL users ADD programs to their PALM. And even to say a majority do, would be wrong. I do think that the PERCENTAGE of PALM users adding programs to their device is GREATER than PERCENTAGE of those with WM.

Much of what is appealing to many about WM is the familiarity with the op sys (though I think it is a visual and not really functional resemblance, but that is another topic) My feeling is that people picking a device due to this, are more likely to leave it bone stock. My real world experience with users is congruent with this statement. Do you think this point is valid?

If so SLING would have greater success with PALM users with SLING.

A second point goes along with the first. "IF" PALM users are more likely to modify their treo's, (which I believe to be true) they are also probably more likely to use non-standard hardware, such as a SLINGBOX. Though I can't substantiate this claim, I would not be surprised if it is true.
    Last edited by CellGeek; 07/25/2006 at 02:09 AM.
    Actually a handango survey from earlier this year showed the opposite. WM users buy more apps for more money and are happier with their devices. I'll find he link later.

Surur
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Actually a handango survey from earlier this year showed the opposite. WM users buy more apps for more money and are happier with their devices. I'll find he link later.

Surur
    Really?? Okay I stand corrected. I must admit I am VERY surprised by this. I would have expected the opposite. I would like to see the link if you are able to find it.

Even so, this still does not change my opinion that it would be profitable for SLING to make a PALM client.
    Email Sent
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    Really?? Okay I stand corrected. I must admit I am VERY surprised by this. I would have expected the opposite. I would like to see the link if you are able to find it.

Even so, this still does not change my opinion that it would be profitable for SLING to make a PALM client.
    Press Release

Windows Mobile Customers Are Tops in Loyalty and Satisfaction

Handango's Annual Customer Survey Reveals Satisfied Windows Mobile Customers Who Come Back for More
    LAS VEGAS, Nevada - May 10, 2005 - Today Handango, the leading provider of mobile downloads, released preliminary results of its annual repeat buyer survey at Microsoft's Mobile & Embedded Developer Conference. The survey revealed that Windows Mobile customers were tops in brand loyalty and device satisfaction.

"Our customer survey data shows how pleased Windows Mobile customers are with their mobile device experiences, and the role that third-party software plays in strengthening brand loyalty and reducing churn," said Randy Eisenman, president and chief executive officer of Handango. "We've long seen a strong correlation between customers adding third-party software, increased device usage and stronger brand loyalty and satisfaction, and these results underscore that powerful correlation."

Customers were asked to rank their satisfaction with their current mobile device as "Excellent," "Good," "Average," "Below Average" or "Poor." The Dell Axim family topped the rankings with over 59 percent of owners giving the device "Excellent" ratings while another 37 percent rated it "Good." The next most highly ranked device was RIM's BlackBerry™ followed by the palmOne Treo.

Customers were also asked to name the brand of their previous mobile devices. Among the 92 percent of respondents who had upgraded to a new device, Windows Mobile customers were the most likely to upgrade to another Windows Mobile device of the same brand. Customers using other mobile operating systems were also more likely to upgrade to a Windows Mobile device than vice versa.

Handango's Annual Customer Survey was sent to a random sampling of over 100,000 smartphone and handheld users who have purchased more than one application for their devices from Handango's network of more than 100 sites using Handango AMPP. More than 13,000 recipients from 53 countries responded, with 57 percent of responses coming from North America, 27 percent coming from EMEA, 8 percent coming from APAC and 1 percent from South America; the remainder of respondents chose to not select country of origin. The survey contained 50 questions about software and hardware buying patterns, purchase influencers, device usage and satisfaction.

Further results will be forthcoming from Handango in June. To obtain a copy of survey results, members of the media can email ashley@handango.com.

About Handango
    Handango is the leading provider of mobile downloads bringing over 50,000 applications and 25,000 digital media titles to market through an extensive global distribution network that reaches millions of mobile customers. Handango's application management and provisioning platform, Handango AMPP, has been chosen as the mobile software delivery platform for Nokia, Motorola, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Cingular Wireless, T-Mobile, Orange SA, Sony Ericsson, palmOne, Microsoft, HP, Sega Mobile, AOL and more than 100 others. For more information, visit http://corp.handango.com.

Media Contact:
    Ashley Walker
    Handango
    817-548-2192
    ashley@handango.com
    http://corp.handango.com/PressReleas...tion=pressroom

Surur
    Interesting - I ditched my Windows Mobile device because although I looked nice, I found myself taking too long to schedule appointments, find info, etc. Palm OS may be less "sexy" but it is far more functional for a business user (in my opinion).
  13. ayn
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I want a Mac client before a Palm client...
    Verizon Treo 700p w/ Martin Fields and Best Skin Ever film (sold)
  14.    #34  
    I am fairly certain they recently released the beta Client for MAC. I am a MAC user as well, but to me it is far more useful to have a mobile client than a Laptop/destop one. Although others need are likely to be different, in my life, I would use a mobile client probably 10 times more than one on my laptop.
    I would bet palmgear sells more palm apps to palm users than handango does. So using a survey from handango isn't really representative of all palm users.
    You do know there is a pocketgear also, don't you.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    You do know there is a pocketgear also, don't you.

Surur
    Actually, no I didn't know about them. Thx. So do you think handango is really representative of the whole handheld community and do you think the sample that chose to answer the questions reflects everyone's feeling about both palm and windows mobile? My feeling is that the communities are a bit different and the palm crowd maybe expects more and is used to trying to develop hacks etc and try to push their devices further. Maybe I am wrong. It's been a long time since I used windows CE (pre windows mobile). I loved my Jornada 720 clamshell mini laptop. It was way ahead of its time in 2001/2002 in many ways. But active sync was a nightmare then.
  18.    #38  
    I have sent yet another email to Sling.

I must confess I am now seriously considering a switch to a 700w. I am offering 10$ to help me decide:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=121041

My reasoning is the same that I have stated in this thread. Although the PIM is better on the 700p, I think I am willing to do a few extra clicks each time so that I can have the entertainment of Slingbox. I would switch back to a PALM if the client was later added I think. As is evident in my other thread, I am not certain which way I will go, but I am leaning towards the 700w. I will continue to press for a PALM client as well.
    Palm OS has no more loyal supporter, but it is dead! Palm has abandoned it. Hell, Access has abandoned it. Get over it.
    I also sent an email for the Slingbox but, in my case, I think it would end up being more of a gimmick which I would probably not use for any significant period of time. There may be a real need for some though. It's another matter on a laptop in hotel room.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast