1.    #1  
    My poor Treo 650 w/Custom ROM has a bit over 7MB of RAM, and I have moved pretty much everything I can think of to my SD card. However, what would help quite a bit would be to move ActNames to the SD card or to shrink it as it is 1.5mb. I think it has to be in RAM to work, so that leaves only the latter option. Any ideas on how to shrink this file or otherwise manage memory better?

Thank You,
    Don't know of anyway to compress a file and still use it.

You can copy it to a SD card, but each time you open it, there will be a few second lag as the file is copied to RAM.

I think you are stuck with keeping it in RAM, or moving to ROM.
    Yes, it will be quite slow to move from the SD card every time. Plus you have to let the Palm handle alarms.

You might look into PowerRun, ZLauncher, ZLinks, etc, to move more stuff to your SD card. Although I'm presently hovering around 6.3M, I keep finding more stuff I like

Eventually I'm going to hard reset and reinstall stuff after updating my ROM, I expect to see a few megs come back from nowhere doing that from old cruft.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fortezza
    My poor Treo 650 w/Custom ROM has a bit over 7MB of RAM, and I have moved pretty much everything I can think of to my SD card. However, what would help quite a bit would be to move ActNames to the SD card or to shrink it as it is 1.5mb. I think it has to be in RAM to work, so that leaves only the latter option. Any ideas on how to shrink this file or otherwise manage memory better?

Thank You,
    7mb or even 5mb is more than enough for general use.
    I'm running at 2.7mb free.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  5.    #5  
    Interesting that you run fun with less memory. Pocket Tunes seems to crash more often when I have under 7mb free. It goes ballistic, playing the first few seconds of each song in the playlist and then locks up. A reset restores it to normal operation. I noted that this only seems to happen when memory is low.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Wasn't there a program that zips files, automatically unzips them when needed and zips them back when file usage is over? Hmmm I'll have to do a search.

g0ttag0...
  7.    #7  
    I went ahead and moved the ActNames.prc file, it takes longer to pull up Agenda, but I have close to 9mb of mem free now. Almost had 10, but Palmary clock likes for Pocket Tunes to be in RAM to have mp3 alarms, so I had to move ptunes into local RAM from my SD card. Sigh...Palm just doesn't get the hint we've been sending for 2 years... put at least 128mb of RAM in these things and give the end user the option to add more. They aren't getting me to buy a new Treo until they do so.