1.    #1  
    I bought the BOOM QUIET noise cancellation headset, and while the mike works every bit as well as they say it does, when I turn on the Noise Cancellation switch I get skreeching cel-phone frequency interference. I called the manufacturer, and they said that Treo's won't work with ANY NC headsets because they emit some frequency that interferes with them. Has anyone else heard about this... or had any problem like this? The funny thing is it doesn't happen EVERY time I use my Treo on a call
    That's very strange since there has been so much positive feedback on this site about using the Boom and the Treo. I use a Shure headset which works nicely, but I have been thinking about getting the Boom.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tDot
    I bought the BOOM QUIET noise cancellation headset, and while the mike works every bit as well as they say it does, when I turn on the Noise Cancellation switch I get skreeching cel-phone frequency interference. I called the manufacturer, and they said that Treo's won't work with ANY NC headsets because they emit some frequency that interferes with them. Has anyone else heard about this... or had any problem like this? The funny thing is it doesn't happen EVERY time I use my Treo on a call
    Is your Treo GSM or CDMA? GSM phones DO put out interference that will play havoc with nearby speaker systems. CDMA phones don't. It's something to do with GSM phones sending out a "Here I am" polling signal to their nearby cell towers every so often. If you read Jay Gross' review of the Altec Lansing IMT1 desktop speakerphone / speaker system for the 650 you'll see where Altec specifically says it's for CDMA phones only as GSM phones interfere with it, and Jay tried both flavors of 650s and found this to be the case. Others have reported their GSM Treos interfere with powered speaker systems hooked up to nearby desktop and laptop computer systems just from having a GSM Treo sitting nearby and powered on.

Try this if you can. If your Treo is GSM and you have a friend with a CDMA Treo (Sprint or Verizon), try your theBoom Quiets with theirs and see if the same thing happens.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    The Boom works for me on my 700P CDMA.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    The Boom works for me on my 700P CDMA.
    He was talking about theBoom Quiets which are the $275.00 stereo headsets with ANR (Active Noise Reduction) - battery powered electronic circuitry which blocks out most low frequency outside noise. Similar but not the same as the more expensive Bose Quiet Comfort ANR headphones, but the Bose don't have a mic at all. So they can't be used as a headset as well as noise reduction full range stereo headphones like theBoom Quiets can. The regular theBoom and theBoom "O" do not have ANR. Until he replies, I think the problem he's encountering is interference from a GSM Treo as the Quiets work just fine with CDMA Treos. GSM Treos are known to put out radio signals that interfere with nearby speaker systems. And stereo headphones are, after all, a speaker system.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Bose now sells a cell phone MIC to go along with the news QC2 and QC3 headphone. Its a plain mic, not noise cancelling.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    tDot, you saved me! I've been seriously considering buying the BOOM QUIET noise cancellation headset. I've also been looking at Bose offerings but noticed the differences in features.

Harv, please update the TC review to include this information on GSM interference.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    tDot, you saved me! I've been seriously considering buying the BOOM QUIET noise cancellation headset. I've also been looking at Bose offerings but noticed the differences in features.

Harv, please update the TC review to include this information on GSM interference.
    Hi

With all due respect, I'm not going to change my review based on anecdotal information from one guy in this thread who didn't even come back and say if his Treo was GSM or CDMA. He even said it doesn't happen every time he uses the headphones. I don't know what to make of this - it's not enough information to diagnose a problem. Both of my Treos.. (650 and 700p, both on Sprint..) .. are CDMA and I don't have a local friend with a GSM Treo that I could briefly borrow or try with theBoom Quiets to see if it has the problem the original poster detailed. For all I know, he could have some other kind of RF interference nearby causing the problem. I'd like to hear from more than one person because a sampling of one is not much of a sampling although it might be quite valid, before I change the text of a review.

Maybe he has a HAM radio in his house or next door. Maybe the batteries in his headphones are marginal or conking out. Maybe his theBoom Quiets are defective and a swap out for a new pair would fix it. Maybe it happens when his microwave oven is on. Maybe he has some other poorly shielded source of RF leaking into the headphones. Who knows.

If he bought theBoom Quiets from TC's store, he can get a 100% refund within 30 days of purchase if he's not happy with them. Or he could swap them out for a new pair and see if the problem still exists.

If there is, indeed, some weird interference between a GSM Treo and theBoom Quiets, I'd like to hear about it from more than one person, or hear it for myself before I change my review.

Put yourself in my shoes and I think you'd feel the same way. Or maybe not.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 08/06/2006 at 02:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Harv,

No offence was intended by my kind recommendation for you to update your review. It certainly was not a personal attack. I obviously misunderstood your previous comments:

Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    Is your Treo GSM or CDMA? GSM phones DO put out interference that will play havoc with nearby speaker systems. CDMA phones don't...
    Harv
    ... as your acknowledgement of the "GSM interference" issue he raised.

However, based on your last comment I now understand that you really don't know one way or the other.

PS
    If I were "in your shoes" I would want my review to be infallable and as such I would find a way to investigate the issue. This is not about feelings or any personal issues. It's just about getting the facts...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Harv,

No offence was intended by my kind recommendation for you to update your review. It certainly was not a personal attack. I obviously misunderstood your previous comments:

... as your acknowledgement of the "GSM interference" issue he raised.

However, based on your last comment I now understand that you really don't know one way or the other.

PS
    If I were "in your shoes" I would want my review to be infallable and as such I would find a way to investigate the issue. This is not about feelings or any personal issues. It's just about getting the facts...
    Hi

Keith, I don't think there is such a think as an infallable review. I've been writing professionally for over twenty years and like I've said many times, writing an article or review is like doing an oil painting. At some point in time, you have to stand back and say "it's done." If, later on, I find out I made some significant technical error, I'll update it and fix the text, or add an addendum to it.

Stanley Kubrick sometimes took ten years to create a movie. Even with the luxury of complete and total artistic control and being an obsessive perfectionist, you can still find "goofs" links on imdb.com for nearly all his films, like "crew or equipment visible" in a scene. How did that get past him?

I don't have the luxury to take ten years to write a review but I do take what I think is more time to get things right than your average reviewer. I talk to EVERY company whose products I review. I ask a lot of questions. I've even made suggestions to companies whose products I've reviewed or am in the midst of reviewing and they have made changes to those products based on my suggestions.

On the front page of TC is a recent review I did of Gemini's iKey device. They're coming out with the iKey Plus in a few months and it has some new features in it which are a direct result of my comments to their Product manager. I talked to him when I saw the Plus detailed on their site and I said "Shirley, other iKey owners asked for these new features" and he told me flat out that yes, some of the new things were added as a result of comments from other iKey owners, but one or two were directly the result of my suggestions to them. I was flattered, to say the least.

I could name some other products which have had changes or new features implemented as a direct result of my suggestions, but I don't want to sound like I'm touting myself as "Mr. Know-it-all." I never pretend to know it all. I just try to be detailed and as accurate as I can.

So like I said, there are any number of reasons why the original poster is having the problem he's having with his theBoom Quiets, but he himself said the problem is intermittant which makes me wonder if it's a GSM vs. CDMA Treo difference at all, or outside interference over which he has no control, or simpy a defective set. I need more information.

Here's an amusing story. At least I thought it was amusing. I was sitting here in the living room at my laptop a couple weeks ago and heard a faint beeping coming from somewhere. I couldn't pinpoint it. At first I thought it was one of my smoke detectors beeping to indicate it needed a new 9v battery, so I walked up and stood under them and no, the beeping wasn't coming from them. Could it have been a smoke detector in someone else's apartment? That would be pretty faint, but how would I know?

I walked around my apartment trying to figure out where the damn beeping was coming from. I have a ton of electronics in here, much of it battery-powered, and it was driving me nuts.

One by one I eliminated one device after another. It turned out the faint intermittant beep was coming from a relatively new wireless home phone I've owned for only a few months. Its LCD screen said "low battery" and it was faintly beeping once every few minutes - this was its way of telling meit wanted to be put back on its base station / charger. I felt like an *****, but I had never left this new phone on the coffee table for a week before, so the beep was unfamiliar to me. My previous wireless home phones didn't beep when their batteries were very low. They just stopped working.

So, live and learn. Now when I hear that faint beep, I know it's the new phone and not one of my other electronic gizmoz whining about something.

But without knowing more about Mr. Dot's personal situation, I don't have enough information to warrant changing my review. I can't afford to go out and buy a GSM Treo and make yet another cell carrier richer.

So what's the answer? Well, if I have the time this week I'll call UmeVoice (I can talk directly with the company President) and ask if he's heard about some interaction between GSM phones and theBoom Quiets and see what he has to say. That's the best I can do unless I can locate a local friend who has a GSM phone I can try with the Quiets to see if I can duplicate the problem. But still, the original poster said the noise was intermittant. Is it randomly intermittant, or does it happen every x seconds? He didn't say.

He didn't even say if his Treo was GSM.

It's not that I don't care about this, it's just that I don't have enough information yet to draw a conclusion.

Fair enough?

Harv
  11.    #11  
    Yikes,

Didn't mean to start such a controvercy. I was away on vacation for a few weeks, and can happily say I avoided being on line.

My comments were not meant to be definitive. They were one person's experience, and I was trying to share with you all to get any comments that might help me use these headphones with my Treo. I paid a helluva lot of money for them, and was crushed to hear that I couldn't use them. I spoke to someone from tech support at the manufacturer, and HE was the one that told me that the Boom Quiet doesn't work with the Treo...so pardon me

I bought them from the manufacturer's site and they said they'd give 30 day money back guarantee. I decided not to return them because I may move away from the treo if something better comes along.

For the record... GSM, Rogers, Canada. Treo 650. fresh batteries. no ham radio, but I live in apartment building so who knows.
  12.    #12  
    I agree that the review should not be "reversed" based on heresay from only one member. I would, however, suggest that given this member's experience and comments I got from the PEOPLE WHO MANUFACTURE THIS HEADSET, you might consider a disclaimer comment like:

"there has been a report from one member that the Boom Quiet doesn't work with Treo".

and at the very least you may want to contact the manufacturer to discuss the issue to get more information. This would be responsible journalism. Your review was so glowing it sounded like it was written by the manufacturer... which is one reason I jumped on board so quickly and shelled out big bucks. My goal is help other members avoid buying a great product that can't be used with their Treo.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I agree that the review should not be "reversed" based on heresay from only one member. I would, however, suggest that given this member's experience and comments I got from the PEOPLE WHO MANUFACTURE THIS HEADSET, you might consider a disclaimer comment like:

"there has been a report from one member that the Boom Quiet doesn't work with Treo".

and at the very least you may want to contact the manufacturer to discuss the issue to get more information. This would be responsible journalism. Your review was so glowing it sounded like it was written by the manufacturer... which is one reason I jumped on board so quickly and shelled out big bucks. My goal is help other members avoid buying a great product that can't be used with their Treo.
    To say theBoom Quiet doesn't work with Treo is incorrect since it works fine with both of mine. But both of mine are CDMA. Other devices built specifically for Treos (such as the Altec Lansing IMT-1 speaker phone / speaker system / charging cradle) specifically say they do not work correctly with GSM Treos and are targeted to owners of CDMA Treos only. Jay Gross detailed all of this in his review of that unit a couple months ago. Jay has both a GSM (650) and a CDMA (700p) Treo so he could try both himself and hear the problem for himself. Altec Lansing offered him no information at all. When he asked them why they say the IMT-1 only works with CDMA Treos, they told him "Because that's how we desiged it." Real useful information, eh? He had to make many more phone calls up the food chain at Altec Lansing to get to an engineer who could explain WHY.

The radios in GSM phones behave differently than CDMA phones, and can cause spurious noise in nearby speaker systems, and since Treos come in both flavors, it would be incorrect and misleading to say theBoom Quiet does not work with a Treo. Because there are two kinds of Treos.

My review was glowing because based on my experience with the product, I felt it deserved a glowing review. I'm not on UmeVoice's payroll. I don't write PRPRPR $for$ $them$. $Again$, $if$ $I$ $can$ $get$ $my$ $hands$ $on$ $a$ $GSM$ $Treo$ $or$ $even$ $any$ $other$ $GSM$ $phone$ $and$ $try$ $theBoom$ $Quiets$ $with$ $it$ $and$ $I$ $experience$ $problems$, $then$ $I$'$ll$ $add$ $to$ $my$ $review$ $and$ $say$ $so$. $But$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $going$ $to$ $modify$ $my$ $review$ $based$ $on$ $someone$ $else$'$s$ $experience$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $doubting$ $what$ $you$ $say$ $is$ $happening$, $but$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $a$ $GSM$ $Treo$ ($or$ $other$ $GSM$ $phone$) $with$ $which$ $to$ $try$ $to$ $duplicate$ $the$ $problem$. $I$'$ll$ $talk$ $to$ $UmeVoice$ $about$ $it$ $and$ $see$ $what$ $they$ $have$ $to$ $say$.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 08/07/2006 at 08:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    ...Well, if I have the time this week I'll call UmeVoice (I can talk directly with the company President) and ask if he's heard about some interaction between GSM phones and theBoom Quiets and see what he has to say...
    Great! You get the point.

... at the very least you may want to contact the manufacturer to discuss the issue to get more information. This would be responsible journalism...
    Well said.

My goal is help other members avoid buying a great product that can't be used with their Treo.
    Thank you. almost bought it but will hold off at least until I see more reviews from GSM 650 users...