Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    So if you look thru some of the posts I've had over the years, I'm a stickler for sound quality on headsets. The boom www.theboom.com is still hands down the best around, but it's wired, and a bit bulky and clunky.

    The best bluetooth headset was still the sony hbh-300 but has been discontinued and is falling apart for me including the fact that it isn't holding a charge. But the rubber thing that goes over your ear on mine is literally tearing and practically seperated from the boom.

    So it was either find another one on ebay, or find a better headset, or preferrably smaller. As the biggest downside of the hbh-300 was the size.

    Now I have the Nokia bh-900 which is small (compared to the sony), has an extending boom mic, is loud, yes that's right a bluetooth headset on the treo you can actually hear. It's not in ear design, it sits outside, which I thought would be bad since we all know the treo volume is horrible. But it is LOUD.

    And as for the noise cancellation, it's awesome. I have been using in the car at 80mph, on the train, outside, and everytime I ask the other person, including doing A/B testing with a friend of mine agains the HBH-300 and the Plantronics voyager 510 (windsmart), and this is as good as the sony.

    This blows away the 510! The problem with the 510 was the mic was so far from the mouth that everyone I talked to said I wasn't very loud, and the noise cancellation was ok, but not great.

    The nokia is easily 95% the perfect headset. the lacking 5% is probably making it smaller? But it is pretty small as it stands,

    Did I mention no more 2 second lag on connection like the plantronics? INSTANT connection to the treo 650 on incoming calls.

    I don't think it's 8 hours talk, more like 4-5 hours, since I have it on the highest volume setting. It doesn't have a way to check battery life like the sony did, meaning i don't know when i'm half out of juice, just when it's really low.

    I do though now turn it off when i put it in my pocket because i think the volume rocker gets pushed while in my pocket, which thus drains the headset battery. i had this probelm with the hbh-300. this I don't mind turning off since the on time is very very fast.

    Anyways, best buy had it for $120. I also ordered a second on here
    http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/product/NOKIA-BH900

    They had a great price, shipping was reasonable. They also have this lifetime replacement guarantee, although I have no idea if it's any good or how responsive they are on it. Anyone know?

    Anyways, do yourself a favor, and spend the money on the ultimate bluetooth headset. That is if you want a little bigger than the jx10, plantronics 510, but really really care about outgoing sound quality and noise cancellation.

    It also does very well in the wind. only strong gusts come thru, but your voice is always heard. The mic on this has 3 holes. One out, one on top, and one on bottom. I put on an extra windsock with adhesive, to see if it can totally block it, although without, it was very very good.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone
    So if you look thru some of the posts I've had over the years, I'm a stickler for sound quality on headsets. The boom www.theboom.com is still hands down the best around, but it's wired, and a bit bulky and clunky.

    The best bluetooth headset was still the sony hbh-300 but has been discontinued and is falling apart for me including the fact that it isn't holding a charge. But the rubber thing that goes over your ear on mine is literally tearing and practically seperated from the boom.

    So it was either find another one on ebay, or find a better headset, or preferrably smaller. As the biggest downside of the hbh-300 was the size.

    Now I have the Nokia bh-900 which is small (compared to the sony), has an extending boom mic, is loud, yes that's right a bluetooth headset on the treo you can actually hear. It's not in ear design, it sits outside, which I thought would be bad since we all know the treo volume is horrible. But it is LOUD.

    And as for the noise cancellation, it's awesome. I have been using in the car at 80mph, on the train, outside, and everytime I ask the other person, including doing A/B testing with a friend of mine agains the HBH-300 and the Plantronics voyager 510 (windsmart), and this is as good as the sony.

    This blows away the 510! The problem with the 510 was the mic was so far from the mouth that everyone I talked to said I wasn't very loud, and the noise cancellation was ok, but not great.

    The nokia is easily 95% the perfect headset. the lacking 5% is probably making it smaller? But it is pretty small as it stands,

    Did I mention no more 2 second lag on connection like the plantronics? INSTANT connection to the treo 650 on incoming calls.

    I don't think it's 8 hours talk, more like 4-5 hours, since I have it on the highest volume setting. It doesn't have a way to check battery life like the sony did, meaning i don't know when i'm half out of juice, just when it's really low.

    I do though now turn it off when i put it in my pocket because i think the volume rocker gets pushed while in my pocket, which thus drains the headset battery. i had this probelm with the hbh-300. this I don't mind turning off since the on time is very very fast.

    Anyways, best buy had it for $120. I also ordered a second on here
    http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/product/NOKIA-BH900

    They had a great price, shipping was reasonable. They also have this lifetime replacement guarantee, although I have no idea if it's any good or how responsive they are on it. Anyone know?

    Anyways, do yourself a favor, and spend the money on the ultimate bluetooth headset. That is if you want a little bigger than the jx10, plantronics 510, but really really care about outgoing sound quality and noise cancellation.

    It also does very well in the wind. only strong gusts come thru, but your voice is always heard. The mic on this has 3 holes. One out, one on top, and one on bottom. I put on an extra windsock with adhesive, to see if it can totally block it, although without, it was very very good.
    How long have you had this headset? I've seen some others who have complained that this heatset looses pairing and doesn't repair well. Have you had any such problems.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by SAKozicki
    I've seen some others who have complained that this heatset looses pairing and doesn't repair well. Have you had any such problems.
    That is my issue with the headset. It is not consistent in getting a connection. It connect's fine about 80%-90% of the time. When it doesn't connect, turning it off or reseting seems to fix it for a while. The outgoing sound quality is great, but the connection problems aren't worth the hassle. I think I'm going to return and go back to the Jabra JX-10 which operates flawlessly, just doesn't have the same outgoing sound quality as the BH-900.

    G
  4. #4  
    I tried it. Connection wasn't great with a 700p. Also, sound quality wasn't as good as Plantronics 510.
  5.    #5  
    So far, yes the bluetooth once in a while is not consistent. But that is the treo's fault.

    It makes up for it in sound quality and battery life, and fast connection. The 510 had a 2 second delay which was so frustrating.

    I actually turn off the bh-900 while it's in my pocket as I do most bluetooth headsets now, realizing usually in my jeans it's pressing on a button draining the battery. When I turn it back on, it connects immediately.

    I also use it to connect to my laptop and talk via skype. So switching it back and forth between my laptop and treo sometimes takes an extra try. But again, well worth it for size, design, volume, noise cancellation and battery life.
  6. #6  
    what are you using it on???? I used it on the 700p and myself and others returned it because it was not loud at all - very very poor.
  7. #7  
    The HB-900 sucks. Other than being huge, uncomfortable, buggy difficult to put on one-handed and too quiet, it's alright. There are MUCH better headsets out there. I've tried TONS of them recently and the HB900 is near the buttom of the list. The HB800 is actually at the very bottom. Total POS.
  8. gibraltar's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    The HB-900 sucks. Other than being huge, uncomfortable, buggy difficult to put on one-handed and too quiet, it's alright. There are MUCH better headsets out there. I've tried TONS of them recently and the HB900 is near the buttom of the list. The HB800 is actually at the very bottom. Total POS.
    Which ones do you like?
    What phone are you using it with.

    I have a Jabra BT500 with the 700w. I love the fit and incoming sound.
    However, outgoing sound is not great. It could really use a noise canceling mike. I would love to find something better!
  9. #9  
    If you like the BT500, I'd suggest trying the 510 with the WindSmart. It works really well.

    For the smaller headsets, the AX2 Pro, the JX10 and the Ultralight are the best performers, in that order.
  10.    #10  
    Wow, what a 180 on reviews. I love the HB-900, the outbound sound quality is as good as the sony HBH-300 and about 100% better than the plantronics 510. It isn't as loud as the 510 since that's in ear design, but in my suburban driving 75mph, I can hear fine with all the road noise. Once in a while if I'm talking to a quiet person i have to press the headset up to my ear, but rarely.

    As far as size, it's not big at all, in fact that's why I like it. It's not tiny, but a good size, and when the boom extends, which is when you are wearing it, it's bigger, but you then don't look like a crazy person on the phone.

    As far as putting it on, at first it's a bit difficult, but after a few days, I slip it on very easily.

    My definite only quirck is that i'm paranoid putting it in my pocket while on, as I believe the rocker volume is getting pressed in my pocket, thus draining the battery.

    Other than that, it's been perfect, super fast connect time, unlike the 2 second 510, and I can't emphasize enough the outbound noise cancellation. I'm confident on every call I don't sound like crap.
  11. #11  
    The extremley rude TreoCentral Store support person tried to tell me this was to be expected:

    I'm getting about 1 hour talk time with the BH-900 and a Treo 650. I was used to being able to talk 2-3 hours a day, 2-3 days, never turning off the old Jabra POS that came free (and sounded like it). The website lists 8 hours talk and 180 hours standby.

    I haven't made it a combined 12 hours (usually 1 hour talk 9 hours standby) in the week I've had it before it's "Lights out".

    Obviously it's going back, but is this standard performance for this headset? I'd just like to know if I should do a trade or look for another model.
  12. #12  
    long time stalker, but first post!

    i have a 650 and have been looking for a headset for the longest time, i've tried some headsets that were praised by others:

    jabra jx-10
    the first, definitely very cool looking and way small and light. but i couldn't get by the static/crackling. i really really tried to get use to it, but i couldn't. the ear bud design it has didn't fit my ear well and i had to use the hook. some people complained about the hook falling off in your pocket, it rarely happened to me, and if it did, it took less than a sec for me to put it back on. you can contact jabra to get ear gels for FREE for the jx10, but i received them after returning the set. the main reason for the return was the outbound audio, i got complaints about not being heard well, something about low volume i think it was

    plantronics 640
    i would have picked up the 645 but i could not find one in a b&m store that i could just return the set to if i didn't like it.
    the 640 is the most confortable of the sets i've tried (even though i would love to try the jx10 with the ear gel). sure, i could use the set without the hook, but the hook felt much more secure and was still extremely comfortable. inbound sound was amazing, no problems there either. the led was crazy though, that thing was bright and flashed pretty constantly. bright. not as sexy as the jx10 either....but again, the outbound quality was no good. this time it picked up too much sound, the background noise was totally overwhelming. i was sitting in a starbucks and no one near me was talking around me, but i think people on the other side of the place were. my friend totally thought i was in some crowd. bam, returned that out.
    i would definitely try the 645 (even with the ridicously low battery life) and am very excited if i can get my hands on the 655 for the DSP

    nokia BH-900
    just picked this one up a few hours ago. i've been waiting for best buy to stock them since they have a great return policy. it's definitely bigger than the others and a little heavier, but it's not worth complaining about, it's still nice, small and light. i like the design, looks cool, one guy at best buy called it the "mission impossible headset" because of the extending boom mic. it took me a while to figure out how to put the thing on, and i think i figured out a quick way to slip it on with one hand (i don't like to wear the headset when i'm not using it...). of the three, it's the least comfortable. that's a downer, but i've gotten use to it and for some reason it feels better on my left ear than my right (same thing with the jx10, the 645 was comfortable on both ears). but once i figured a good position for my left ear, it felt great. inbound volume is not a great as the others because it's not in ear. it's not bad, but not the best. the outbound is what got me and is probably why i'll be holding onto it until i get to try the plantronics 655. i was able to drive at least 35-40 mph WITH THE WINDOWS DOWN and carry a conversation with the person who always said "what? huh? speak up" on the other 2 sets. i think i had a problem with the 645 with the windows completely up and i didn't even bother with the jx10. let me tell you, it's completely refreshing to be able to be heard by the person who could never hear you before, let alone driving with the window down!
    i'll have to play with the 900 to figure out the battery life and another plus is no beacon!! i want to say the light is dimmest of the three (the jabra was pretty good with the light, but man...that 645 was embarrassing). cons are that it's not in ear like the other two (but i was able to have a great conversation while driving with the windows down) and the connection...the connection i'm still confused about. i'll have to play with it a little. i tried redialing, but it seems like i have to hold the button down (as if i was going to voice dial) then double tap to redial. another thing is receiving calls, i don't know if i accidently hit the 'hang up' button on the screen when the phone is in my pocket, but i've been having problems answering calls without touching the phone. i do wear a holster and i don't mind answering the call with the phone keys (i like to see who's calling anyways) but i'm sure it'll bother some.

    right now the BH-900 is the best TOTAL experience i've had
    pros:
    - OUTBOUND SOUND (this is probably my most important feature i'm personally looking for
    - discrete led
    - battery life specs
    - style
    - extendable boom mic

    cons:
    - speaker design (inbound sound is lower compared to in-ear designs)
    - answering without phone keys
    - initially figuring out how to wear the set comfortably

    my two cents...i really enjoy driving with both my hands


    edit: i was so excited about my drive that i wanted to post about my experience after stalking for at least a year... that's how happy i am haha
  13. #13  
    I found the HB-900 to be one of the worst headsets that I've tried. The outgoing audio was good but the incoming was horrible. Way too quiet and the thing is freaking huge and pretty uncomfortable.

    I tried the Ultralight (645) but didn't like it because the fit wasn't very secure. I've heard that they've tightened up the fit on the 655 so I might try that one again. The other problem that the lag on the 640/645/655 is really bad. Possibly the worst of any headsets. Plantronics seems to have a real problem with the lag in the BT implementation. I also didn't care for the huge blinking LED. Redial didn't work well.

    The HB-800 was the worst that I've tried. The fit was terrible, the outgoing audio was terrible and the incoming audio was mediocre. The one thing that the Nokias do well is they pair easily.

    The AX2 Pro is easily the best headset that I've tried. It's the loudest, has the clearest outgoing audio, the longest battery life and is one of the smallest, in-ear headsets around. Noise cancellation is the best. Redial works well.

    SE IV835 had good incoming audio and good outgoing audio except that it clipped the outgoing audio too much. The DSP was too intrusive. It also lacks any volume control on the headset and that gets pretty old after a while. I can say that it's the fastest to transfer audio of any BT headset (with the possible exception of the other new SE). Fit was decent but not great.

    The JX10 was a very good overall headset. The fit is amazing with the Jabra ear gels and the incoming audio is pretty clear. Not as loud as the AX2 Pro and the outgoing audio is a bit processed because of the DSP. Redial works well.

    For me:

    1. AX2 Pro

    2. JX10 / possibly 655
    3. 655 or 645/Ultralight
    4. HB900
    5. HB800
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    The AX2 Pro is easily the best headset that I've tried. It's the loudest, has the clearest outgoing audio, the longest battery life and is one of the smallest, in-ear headsets around. Noise cancellation is the best. Redial works well.
    The Nextlink site had no "AX2 Pro." Is the "AX2 Pro" the user customized version I've seen around this and other sites? Is it available for sale anywhere?

    Frankly I enjoy digging out the old soldering iron for fun, but my headset is for serious business use, and I need reliability and a warranty.

    TIA
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCrumley
    The Nextlink site had no "AX2 Pro." Is the "AX2 Pro" the user customized version I've seen around this and other sites? Is it available for sale anywhere?

    Frankly I enjoy digging out the old soldering iron for fun, but my headset is for serious business use, and I need reliability and a warranty.

    TIA
    User-customized. The total cost is about $65. Very reliable and I don't care about a warranty. I want a headset that works, not some piece of junk with a warranty. Sorry, but the best in-ear headset is the AX2 Pro. If you don't mind larger units, you can find some with similar performance that you don't have to modify.
  16. #16  
    Total Cost is $65? I just bought the Etymotic ER22C from buy dot com for $31 shipped....I'm looking for the AX2 at a good price....can you direct me where to get that? Radio Shack has it for $50 plus taxes in my town....
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by davi View Post
    Total Cost is $65? I just bought the Etymotic ER22C from buy dot com for $31 shipped....I'm looking for the AX2 at a good price....can you direct me where to get that? Radio Shack has it for $50 plus taxes in my town....
    I got mine for $35 shipped online. I forget where it was.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man View Post
    User-customized. The total cost is about $65. Very reliable and I don't care about a warranty. I want a headset that works, not some piece of junk with a warranty. Sorry, but the best in-ear headset is the AX2 Pro. If you don't mind larger units, you can find some with similar performance that you don't have to modify.
    Where is the post to mod the AX2? What IS the mod? Searched big time!! Thanks!
  19. #19  
    search at HoFo for the AX2 mod
  20. #20  
    got it - thanks!

Posting Permissions