1.    #1  
    Now i've been on Treo boards for a long time even though i just got my new one. I read a lot of ringtone tutorials but none of them work very good and if one does work only 1 of the steps work, so i decided to make my very own!!

Step 1: Get Audicity, itunes.
    Step 2: Open up audicity and open the song u want, then edit it so that you only have about 20-30 seconds. Then hit trim under edits. Then find preferences and change the hz to the lowest level. Then go to file format remember were still under pref and on the little pull down change the output to microsoft wav 4 bit. Then on the left side you'll see a little bar where you can increase the volume take it over until it says 12, then export the selection as wav onto the desktop.
    Step 3: Now open itunes and hit ctrl o and open the file. Then right click and hit convert to aac. After that take the converted file and drag it to the desktop.
    Step 4: Now open up your browser and go to funformobile and upload to the fone using thier upload system.
    Step 5: Click on the text message and pres the link and then its easy just save the file to sounds and play it whenever. Enjoy and please leave feedback.
  2.    #2  
    What you guys think?
    Not the "best", I think theres simpler ways to do it then that. But I'm not making a tutorial or anything, so I'm not one to say I'm better.
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    just to check, all of our AAC ringtones still lag and chop out right? Or has there been some discovery i missed?
    Quote Originally Posted by quispus
    You can use AAC files as ringtones. So just convert your mp3's into AAC (mp4, m4a) and then follow the directions below. iTunes can do the conversion as well as some other free apps.

AAC Conversion to Ringtone

1. Change the file extension to .amr, then send to Treo (bluetooth, email etc)

2. Open the file and accept into 'Voice Memo' . 'Copy to Ringtone'. Delete Voice Memo.

3. Open Filez (free file management app for Palm) and find ringtone. It will have a name like 'TON-{name}'. Go to details and change the type from 'AMRf' to 'AACf', (case sensitive).

4. Open the 'Sounds' app and and it should be listed. You can go into 'Manage' to edit the name if you like.
    Not posted by me, but this is the only thing that worked for me (without using funformobile, who will start SPAMMING you with text messages......)
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    Not posted by me, but this is the only thing that worked for me (without using funformobile, who will start SPAMMING you with text messages......)

I did this and my ringtone shows up in "Sounds". However, when I receive a call there is no sound. Any ideas?
  7. ayn
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    There are lots of ways to do this, I just downsample and upload the entire aac over bluetooth, here's a little writeup on the steps... I was gonna use Audicity to trim the song down to like 20 seconds, but it couldn't open up aac directly, so that would add an mp3 conversion in the middle and than back to AAC, too much work, and I still have plenty of space left on the device...
    Verizon Treo 700p w/ Martin Fields and Best Skin Ever film (sold)
    All of those Palm links are dead. Anyone have any updated tutorials?
    they work for me
    No the Palm links are dead. The links Jack has listed are links to a thread with links to Palm's Knowledge base. It appears Palm removed the Knowledge Base articles. Classic case of removing an article that caused unwanted support calls.

Also using the Voice Memo to send the AAC file to Sounds cuts the ringtone length to something like 8-10 seconds even if it is really 23. I've updated the procedure below for anyone that does not have bluetooth PC connectivity. It eliminates the last step and makes it a little easier.

AAC Conversion to Ringtone

1. Change the file extension to .amr, then send to Treo (bluetooth, email etc)

2. Open the file and accept into 'Voice Memo' .

3. Open Filez (free file management app for Palm) and find ringtone. It will have the same name as it appears in Voice Memo. Go to details and change the type from 'AMRf' to 'AACf', (case sensitive). Change the owner to 'HsTo'.

4. Open the 'Sounds' app and and it should be listed. You can go into 'Manage' to edit the name if you like.

5. You can now go back into Voice Memo and delete it whenever you want.

The Ringtone should now be in Sounds.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
    just to check, all of our AAC ringtones still lag and chop out right? Or has there been some discovery i missed?
    What about this, has it been solved?
    Don't know. Some of my ringtones work flawlessly others seem to skip at the same points in the song almost everytime. But the burps are not even for a full second. Not enough to make me want to spend time re-cutting them but if you want to try it, you should experiment with the sample rates. Let us know if you find anything. Could be related to the same thing that cause pTunes to skip. Something in the OS.

One last thing.... it sounds good enough to say, *So long and thanks for all the fish to Lightwav* in which, "fish", would be a euphemism for crashes.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.