1.    #1  
    Here is the scoop, I bought a 650 used and was told it was for Alltel network. It works on the Alltel network but it does not work like it should. So I start hunting and I find that it used to be a Sprint phone (Treo650-1.12a-spnt).

I was told that in order to make it a true Alltel phone I need to unbrand it and load Alltels updater. Problem is, no one can tell me how to "Unbrand" a CDMA phone. All the info I find is for GSM phones.

I think I can use Romtool to edit the tokens and fool the Alltel updater into thinking it is an Alltel phone thus loading the Alltel firmware. I was told to be careful doing this because the partition sizes may not be the same.

I am beginning to think that I have a semi-working "BRICK" and need to enlist the help of those that are much greater then myself (Bows to the masses)...

If anyone has a clue of how to solve my problem or where to send me, PLEASE PLEASE chime in here and get me going.

Thank you for any help,

Mark
    Did you try running the Alltel updater, stealing the files from the install folder, cancelling the update, and putting the files you copied into a custom ROM?

3.    #3  
    No I didnt try that.

Have you done that before? Sure sounds like it would solve the problem..

Mark
  4.    #4  
    Couldnt wait, had to try at work.

As soon as you start the updater it trys verification and kills the update.

It recognizes Sprint phone version 1.12a and says that my Sprint phone can not be updated with an unbranded CDMA ver 1.04 Rom. Please go to blah blah blah......

Mark
    You could try this:

http://php.chol.com/~mines/photo/028/

and just alter the directions a bit.

6.    #6  
    That seems like a lot of work and a pain in the .....

Maybe there is an easier way.

Mark
    Easiest way would be to get it unlocked online ($25 I think...) then use the ROMTool to edit your tokens and change to the ENA ROM...
    Here is the method I would use. Get the Rom Tool. just go in and change your crnm token to cdma. Then the Alltel updater should work.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

lol, didn't notice he said nothing about the phone being locked...
  10.    #10  
    I have the Rom tool and will make my first attempt shortly.

I will keep everyone informed as to the progress or degress which ever..

Thank you,
  11.    #11  
    I just thought of something...

Will the prnm token need to be changed as well ?
  12.    #12  
    No matter what I try it says the same thing..

Error: Your non branded cdma version (anything I try) can not be updated to a non branded cdma version 1.04. Check palms website for the version compatable with your phone.

Some more help would be excellent....

Thank you
  13.    #13  
    Anybody ????????

I could use a bit of help if anyone else has input.....

Thanks
  14.    #14  
    There must be a different token that the updater is looking at....

Anyone have any ideas ? ? ? ? ?

I have made changes to the crnm and revn tokens but have left the rest alone for now.

Surely I am not the only person that has hit this problem ?

I could really use some help........
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mst_bmw
    Anyone have any ideas ? ? ? ? ?

I have made changes to the crnm and revn tokens but have left the rest alone for now.

Surely I am not the only person that has hit this problem ?

I could really use some help........
    Take it easy, folk! Give me the link to Alltel ROMupdater, I think I can make a ROM which can run on the SD card instead of updater.exe. One thing, are you familiar with updating ROM via SD card?
  16.    #16  
    Unfortunately no. That is why I was very interested in the romtool and possibly fooling it into thinking it was something else..

Here is the link....

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl.../cdma_win.html

Thank you for your help.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I'm done.

Click on this link Download, save, unzip, and rename "PALM_cdma" to "PALM" onto your SD card. After unzip, you will see under folder "PALM" contains 1 folder "DeviceCustomizer" and 1 file "start.prc" If you intend to save into a used SD card, make sure that has no folder name "PALM".

MAKE SUREthat you don't lost the power supply while running updating, otherwise you may have a paper weight.
    1. Backup your Treo.
    2. Plug the charger to Treo.
    3. Insert the SD card. The processing gonna run automatically. You will see Treo screen blinking couple of time. It's normal, do not do any thing!
    4. Finally it may require you to calibrate the touch screen. Now you can safety remove the SD. Remember to delete the current folder "PALM" before re-use. You can save the file ace-palmos.zip for the future (if you want to make a custom ROM yourself)

Note: I'm a GSM user so I can't test the ROM for you. If you want to contact me, PM me your email address.
    Last edited by treoluv; 07/22/2006 at 09:00 PM.
    I should have been more specific, I was assuming you were using the SD card method. Sorry.

19.    #19  
    That is very gracious of you !

Thank you for your help.
  20.    #20  
    No problem Frozen!

I have just been messing with this thing for several days now and have gotten to the point that I was ready to pitch this thing.

This is what I get for trying to save a buck..

No hard feelings....