1.    #1  
    Today I got my 5th Treo since March 2005. They work good, then one day they just die. Luckily Sprint has been good and replaced it every time. Why are these phones so faulty? Is it the design? The circuitry? Maybe they just cant take the normal wear and tear of the use of a cell phone? I dont know! Its annoying though.

1st treo: P key problem, External speaker Blew Up
    2nd: Just Died Suddenly
    3rd: Phone would initiate a hotsync when you plugged a house charger in
    4th: External speaker suddenly started crackling, cutting out, and sounded like ****.

This last phone was in PERFECT condition...silicon case, screen protector, never dropped, not 1 scratch on it anywhere. Then out of the blue, the speaker pops.

I hope they sell these 650s for a while because Im not upgrading to the crappy 700p that doesnt even support my Voyager 510 headset....
    Just curious....do you use VolumeCare and have your external speaker fully boosted? I believe there are warnings in their product that this can cause premature external speaker failure. As for me, I'm still on my 1st Treo and have had it since August 2005....almost a year now.
    I've had my 650 almost since they became available at Sprint. Still on my first one. No issues, no resets, And I don't really baby it, either.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'm still on my first Treo, going on 11 months now. Seems some people just have all manner of bad luck with theirs. But, you keep coming back?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I went through 4 600 handsets in 18 months. Finally the 4th last a year.
    2 270's, 1 600, 1 650.... I'm either very lucky or I treat my multi-hundred dollar PDA/phones better than some do... (or they are as unlucky as I am lucky)
    do you use VolumeCare and have your external speaker fully boosted? I believe there are warnings in their product that this can cause premature external speaker failure
    Cite reference, please. I cannot find any information of that sort.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I myself have had the same treo with few problems since the first firmware update but there are so many issues that other people have with the 650 and the 600 that I think palm needs some serious quality control improvements.
    I had no idea the treo 650 had so many problems with the speaker. Yesterday my speaker stoped working. I thought it was a software problem, but after searching hear I see it may be something else. I have never had problem since I got my phone in March. How do I get this speaker replaced? Through the phone carrier or palm?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    Just curious....do you use VolumeCare and have your external speaker fully boosted? I believe there are warnings in their product that this can cause premature external speaker failure. As for me, I'm still on my 1st Treo and have had it since August 2005....almost a year now.

No, I dont use Volumecare or any other 3rd party volume boosting apps. My 4th treo lasted me a good 5 months without any issues...

I keep coming back because they keep replacing the phone for free. I considered a 700p upgrade, but it doesnt seem like much of an 'upgrade' to me...considering it wont even work with my Voyager 510 headset....plus I just got a EVDO card...so Im staying with the 650...for now...
    I do believe treo has quality issue as there have been numerous complains since day 1. The fact that some are lucky to own very stable version can not overshadow the a lot more breakdowns of others.
    Zangetsu,

All you have to do is a SEARCH on "VolumeCare Speaker" and you'll find the following from Jeff Gibson....author of VolumeCare:

Failures like this have been tracked back to a faulty headset jack in every case that I have heard of so far. I have yet to hear of a true speaker failure and I have over 15,000 customers of VolumeCare so far world wide. That is not to say it can't happen and that is why I do put a disclamer as part of the product description. I even now in the v4.x versions of the program have dynamic popups that will also warn you when you have made a configuration that is potentially too loud. But he headset jack problem is widely known, very common and can be verified by the carrier repair person.

But again, I have opened up the entire range of volume potential of the Treo. It is up to you to configure and use the product reasonably. Product failures will happen and each speaker has its own tollerances. You don't listen to you car stereo at full volume for any length of time and you don't turn your TV to maximum volume for any length of time - right? Use the same common sense with your Treo. If people really want me to limit the volume, I will. But that's how the Treo is delivered and no one likes it.

Jeff
    Regardless, this is not the issue as Blazinlow is not using it.
    I don't know what the hell you guys are doing with your treo's, playing basketball with it or something, maybe shot put for distance, because I have the same treo 650 for a while now with zero problems, either device wise or something human caused, like dropping or sitting on it. Take care of the treo and it'll take care of you.
    I'm tempted to agree with BTreo5. I picked up a used Treo 650 on eBay and have yet to have one major issue that wasn't caused by user error/software conflicts. They're a little more fragile than a lot of cell phones, particularly in the audio jack, but if you take that into account and take extra care, you'll see a lot fewer problems.
    knock on wood...
    at&t iPhone3G
  16.    #16  
    I dont abuse my phone, my phone abuses me... Seriously, like I mentioned before....The phone that I just replaced was PRISTINE, never dropped and not a single scratch on it....

My phone rang, sounded fine...I answered it and put it back on my desk.

10 minutes later, it rang again. The ringer sounded like it was playing out of a Victrola. It was never the same.