Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have done a lot of searching in regards to back up programs and Resco backup has quite a bit of positive feedback. As I mention in most of my posts I have limited computer knowledge and skills. Resco Backup looks to be very complex. During my searches I have read about Resco crashing during back ups due to DBcache or background apps running. I have Uninstall Manger on my 650 (right now the only 3rd party app I have) and was wondering if that would be considered a background app? Is anyone running UM and Resco Backup together and if so what are your thoughts? It looks like most backup apps have a a mojority of there problems while running daily backups. Is this correct? Is Resco backup designed for a user like me with limited computer and software knowledge or should I be looking else where? I have looked at NVbackup and had it ready for install, but the undocumented and risky warning in the read me file has caused me to look elsewhere for the time being. Resco backup users tell me what you can about the program and if you have encountered any problem. Thanks!
    The new release of Resco Backup, V1.40.6 addresses the problems it was having with the DB cache and crashing of the device. The following link is to their web site and addresses your questions:

http://www.resco.net/palm/backup/default.asp

I installed and raun Resco Backup today due to BackupManager's inability to backup Java files. Other than the Java files problem, I have had NO problems with BackupManager.

The problem with Backupmanager was not a problem for me until I rearranged some files. Specifically, I use ZLancher and had Java in the application folders for KMaps, Opera Mini and Solitaire. This ran fine for me; however, in an effort to decrease launch time, I opted to move Java back to main memory and move only the applications themselves.

I did some playing and that playing resulted in a hard reset and after the hard reset/restore with BackupManager, I had to reinstall Java back in main memory - Backupmanager does not copy all of the Java files (mentioned above).

Ben
  3.    #3  
    Ben thanks for the quick response! I responded to your thread on the other forum asking about your thoughts on Resco Backup. I have read the link you have posted, but my knowledge is not up to par. I am looking for a simple to use backup program that is relaible. What is your number one recommendation? Is Resco Backup meant for someone like me who has limited computer knowledge? Will I find it to be extremely complicated next to Backup Man or NVbackup? Could you also let me know if Uninstall Manager is considered a background application? Can it cause future problems with a backup program, because it is always monitoring new programs? Thanks again for all of your help it is truly appreciated!
    My number one recommendation is at this moent Resco Backup and the reason for that is it backs everything up. As far as interface, it's BackupManager hands down, without a question!

As for NVBackup, you get what you pay for. That is not to say good or bad about the program itself. From what I have read, NVBackup is coming along nicely in the development area.

I have Uninstall Manager installed but do not use it. In fact, I have never used it; it is just there. Instead, I use ZLauncher for that function and others. Uninstall Manager has never interferred with BackupManager's operation or its restore capability.

Restore approach with both programs is good, though a different approach is used. BackupManager again wins with the really simple and straight forward presentation, presenting the backups available and letting you start there. Resco Backup though presents you with the restore option first and then lists the files you can restore from. Not a big problem there.

I like BackupManager's check box selection versus the select all, deselect all, select by filter, et cetera - too many options!

So, that's it in a nut shell.

Ben
  5.    #5  
    Okay I have read your responses and I feel the same way you do. I want a simple interface, because I too am not fond of spending all my time reading instructions when I can just dive in and get the jist of it. It looks like Backup Man is geared more towards me, due to my inexperience, but is it possible to use Resco and the default settings and still have a simple backup manager? I don't like making changes to programs I don't fully comprehend. I guess a better quesiton I should be asking is which of the two would you reccommend for a non power user and someone new to the world of Treo with limited knowledge?
    If you do not have Java on your device, then BackupManager is what I would prefer. I never had any problems with it, no crashes, delays or what ever. It is a tad bit easier to configure than Resco Backup. Configuring Resco Backup though is not that difficult if you take your time with it. So #1 is BackupManager.

Ben
  7.    #7  
    Perfect! One last question. I remember you talking about lookatme and mreset, how often did you use it and why? How often should I plan a soft reset after running Backup Man?
    I used LookAtMe and mRest together when I was using a Sprint Treo 650, which is now being used by my lovely boss (wife). I stopped using it because twice the Treo lost preferences, which could be a problem if I did not have a backup wake-up system (my Nextel i605). Two times was enough to realize that an automagical reset had ramifications that were problematic at best.

LookAtMe was used to schedule a routine soft reset daily at 4am with the ultimate intention of clearing out the DB cache, which when it functioned properly, was just what it did. However, it was not worth the "chance" it would fail again.

The problem with this whole thing is that "background" tasks pose a problem of their own. When you put background tasks together with the DB cache, and the OS decides it needs to clear itself, then the extra chance of an error occurring with a scheduled forced hard reset is just asking for trouble.

I never experienced a problem with BackupManager. It always ran, never reset afterwards, et cetera.

Ben
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    I used LookAtMe and mRest together when I was using a Sprint Treo 650, which is now being used by my lovely boss (wife). I stopped using it because twice the Treo lost preferences, which could be a problem if I did not have a backup wake-up system (my Nextel i605). Two times was enough to realize that an automagical reset had ramifications that were problematic at best.

LookAtMe was used to schedule a routine soft reset daily at 4am with the ultimate intention of clearing out the DB cache, which when it functioned properly, was just what it did. However, it was not worth the "chance" it would fail again.
    I've been resetting my Treo with mReset/LookAtMe for over a year with no problems. The lost preferences problem is probably being caused by something else. Butler used to do that to me all the time.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the help! I will be downloading a trial version of Backup Man today to see how it works. I guess if I ever need to do a soft reset I can always use the soft reset function in UM. Thanks again!
  11.    #11  
    Hey, Ben I have installed Backup Man and had a few quick questions.
    1) The reset on the bottom left in the application interface is for a soft reset correct?
    2) In the options for the schedule backups I have selected an early morning time and have selected to power off the device after backup. What exactly does power off mean? It doesn't turn the phone radio off untill I get up does it?
    3) I have selected to keep no more than 3 backups and to update daily, is there anything else I should have considered?

Again thanks for all of your advice and help!
    If you are speaking of the Reset in the Schedule Wizard, no, it just removes the checks from the options on that page.
    #2 - I have never enabled that option. I will test it and let us see what happens.
    It is running. What it did was immediately go to the "sleep" mode - that is, just
    like it would if you pressed the off button - went off immediately instead of
    staying on for the pre-set time.
    #3 - I have it set for 6 backups and to do it daily at a time when it will not interfere
    with what I am doing. So, that's it!

Ben
    I have the following problem with Resco Backup (the one that comes with Resco Explorer, not the standalone):

I have a pretty clean TREO install, only Uninstall Manager and TOMTOM on the device. Then I put Resco Utils on and did my first backup.

The backup is 90% done and appears to be backing up Unsaved Preferences; but it's STUCK! It's been there for like an hour, after doing the rest in 5-10 minutes.

Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas how to fix?
    There is a utility called DB Scan - try it out. When it starts it will give you a few choices, tap the "Neither" option. It'll scan your contacts and deleted unnecessary records. Then try it again, Sam (sounds like an old show).

Ben
    bclinger: What are your objections to NVBackup? It seems to do a dandy job of backing up (and restoring) my heavily laden 650 nightly.

Just wondering, as I used Resco backup for quite a while (along with lookatme and reset, which i no longer need).
    I put in Resco Backup and just accepted the defaults settings. It seemed to backup everything quite efficiently (like, Resco really seems to really know what it's doing) and, I'm hoping, that other than scheduling backups, the defaults will provide me with a good degree of hard reset insurance. I hope to get back to it shortly; but, if there are any suggestions on modifications I should make immediately, or any significant bugs I may have missed (haven't seen any left on new version), I would appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    I put in Resco Backup and just accepted the defaults settings. It seemed to backup everything quite efficiently (like, Resco really seems to really know what it's doing) and, I'm hoping, that other than scheduling backups, the defaults will provide me with a good degree of hard reset insurance. I hope to get back to it shortly; but, if there are any suggestions on modifications I should make immediately, or any significant bugs I may have missed (haven't seen any left on new version), I would appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks!
    I also loaded it with the default settings (until the newest version offered the dbcashe wipe which I use) and have had no problems at all. It has saved me twice after hard resets and got me back to normal in no time flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex
    I also loaded it with the default settings (until the newest version offered the dbcashe wipe which I use) and have had no problems at all. It has saved me twice after hard resets and got me back to normal in no time flat.
    Appreciate it Bubba!
    I have personally found that the new version 1.4.0.6 seems MUCH noticeably slower in backing up compared to an earlier version. I actually watched how some programs would take a long time to be backed up (no changes in setting and no changes in program). I have since gone back to the older version and (it was like night and day) since LookAtMe with mReset before scheduled before and after the backup works quite well and quick.

Doing the soft reset before the backup will free up DBCache. Doing it afterwards will also do it again since DBCache gets quite low after the backup. It has worked well.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    I have no objections to it, having never used it. Ben

Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    bclinger: What are your objections to NVBackup? It seems to do a dandy job of backing up (and restoring) my heavily laden 650 nightly.

Just wondering, as I used Resco backup for quite a while (along with lookatme and reset, which i no longer need).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast