Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I work for the Red Cross and needed a ruggedized case (something bouncy as my treo falls alot) I bought the speck, but after a few weeks the plastic cover fell off and the rubber is stretching...

Thx!
    What level of access do you need when the case is enclosed? I've been curious about the following case:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/576-1.htm

(I actually don't need a ruggedized case, but this makes me want to find the need).
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    What level of access do you need when the case is enclosed? I've been curious about the following case:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/576-1.htm

(I actually don't need a ruggedized case, but this makes me want to find the need).
    \

Saw that case and that is over the top... The speck is nice if it didnt fall apart!
    I have the new speck toughskin case and if you dont take it in and out of the case all the time it will be fine its the best you will find right now. I take the phone out once a day and its been fine for three months. hope this helps
    Just curious, is the Treo a work sanctioned phone? Or is it just a personal one?

What is your budget, as Vaja makes some nice form fitting leather cases, but they are a luxury goods product: http://www.vajacases.com/images/smar...eo_700_en.html
    If you're using a skin like the Speck, one trick is to put the BSE (BestSkinsEver) on your phone to make the rubber "stick" better to the phone.

I have BSE and a generic silicone skin from eBay. At first, I didn't like the skin because it moved around too much. With the BSE on, it doesn't squirm anywhere near as much.
    ---
    th3_plague

Audiovox Garbage from Sprint -> Motorola Star Tac -> Nokia Garbage from AT&T -> Samsung SPH-i300 -> Samsung SPH-i500 -> Motorola Q -> Palm Treo 700p (VZW)
    I dont have any problems with my speck skin. It is very hard to take the phone out of the skin case.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Well I am going to order TOUGHSkin case, as I has the SKINTIGHT from Speck and it stretched out very fast
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I got the black magnesium case, forget who makes it... it was for my 650, but fits the 700p, Its kind falling apart though, maybe after 1 and 1/2 years, I should get a new one too...innopocket, thats who makes it.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I am using the speck skintight for the 700P right now, and I love it, but as others have mentioned, it's starting to stretch. Can anyone confirm that the toughskin version doesn't stretch as much?
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsys
    Well I am going to order TOUGHSkin case, as I has the SKINTIGHT from Speck and it stretched out very fast
    That's what happened to mine, love the case, great protection, but I needed to get to my SD card, and the 1st time that I took it out of the case, it was stretched way out. Never went back to it original fitting.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Pay attention to all this product is and isn't and look up silicon care and reshaping and take anything you may already know. Apply it and your skin stays tight

1 Do this. FAT32 your rig and realize that the SPECK Toughskin is not designed to be used or implemented if you intend on taking it in or out of the skin often.

That being said don't waste your cash if you BEAM, swap out batteries, SD cards alot or HATE LINT and FINE DUST. There are reasons to have this case though, OK?! - it's the best case period for it if you want to protect the investment you made. save some sacrifices.

1 continued... FAT32 will allow you to get a 4GB Transcend 150X SD card with error correction and enjoy a faster TREO. but go higher with the ram if you/we can afford it and realize you are not taking it out. and make sure it works

2 Get largest battery from seidio that will fit in your carrier battery cover. Remember it is Lithium ION but it still can handle reconditioning so with full apps runnign on and off, that is a once a day recharge with heavy usage at an always on state using battery heavy apps. drain it on a call when it gets low every so often. Remember again you are not taking it out.

Turn off BEAM receive - if you are a BEAMER - this case isn't for you. Case design does not allow for Beam Transfer

Buy an extra cover for the case at 1.95 USD- I have a 3rd around somewhere that I am going to test making into a Ballistic cover with some carbon fiber weave and a caller ID window.

get the case and use hot tap water to get it into condition - slap dry it fast but keep it hot/warm as you can - slip it in the RIGHT way - adjust quickly - put on flip cover ( remember they designed it to come off if you didn't want to use it) - place phone in freezer for 15 to 35 seconds - skin will constrict to phone and stiffen up around it - any small moisture droplets that you were not diligent enough to remove between case and phone will dissipate. Realize the sacrifices and the pros to follow and you will be happy

Pro's

4 replaced TREO 650's later I have come to realize that to keep it in pristine condition you need this case and one screen protector.

2 phones dropped. 1 at 3 feet approx other at 6 feet. 3 foot - I imagine it was impact angle and surface hardness that played into the end result.

2 phones maybe 3 Salivated on by my kids on the bottom or the top.

With other products you can scratch, they slip and wear oddly or D all of the above. Right? some of the main case problems are pushed aside with silicon. but it gathers alot of dust and lint from pockets and your areas.

some tips - STAY AWAY FROM KLEENEX AND PAPER TOWELS - kirkland/ or clorox wipes rung out are fine baby wipes too. Handi-wipes best for antibacterial .

But resolve to the notion that the case in mild detergent and warm water or by any other means and allowing to dry in a dust free environment BUYS YOU NOT TIME AT ALL - the second it is exposed to the universe it gathers filth PERIOD. if you can't live with that - do not buy.

So far I've dropped my latest 650 2 times at about 4 feet each - one time antenna caught pavement - I replaced it. second time Treo landed OK no issues. ( shorter antenna is flush to this case!)

DROPPAGE TIP: DOn't be lazy and slow and just watch your treo fall! It pays to play HACKY SACK with it - if you can catch and guide your treo to the ground with the top of your foot and slow down a drop so it just rolls off your foot - you'll survive it for sure. Otterbox has an updated model too from what was show but GAWD AWFUL HUGE!

I suggest this Toughskin approach just for insurance regardless if you can.

It isn't waterproof but quite resiliant - so splash it a bit more and you slap it againt your leg or hand a bit and the water will bead roll and snap off the case

Kids will take this screen lid off and lose it - be wary small children when they see a plexiglass pane of any size it represent a odd new boundary that they can see through this = intrigue and MOUTH ATTACKS the slobber it's lost or whatever.

This case does allow for the BUY YOU TIME factor too - you know if you see the kids with it you have to go now but you are a lot safer if than if you had no case at all.

Kids and drops in water are an issue in the moisture deptartment - you have to remove case to get to it if you need to - so be careful , quick but not hasty - I've torn a toughskin.

HARD RESET - you need an APP and an SD card backup system built in. You have sacrificed the reset button unless you have a seidio battery cover and you modify this case for a hole in the same location.

CLear holster is gay - needs to be black - nuf sed

I bought my second one yesterday. hands down offers you the best protection for it's class/price point. save sacrifices.
    they need a skin that wraps around the antenna as well, i dropped my phone a few times and the antenna is a mess

wonder if that would hinder service though

rugged one

http://blog.treonauts.com/2007/01/otterbox_rugged.html

tough skin
    http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/10/need_a_rough_tr.html
    Last edited by italiangspot; 02/14/2007 at 12:22 PM.
    I have the Speck case. Cut out the area for the SD card with the trusty exacto knife and it hasn't been a problem. I had nothing to lose since I picked it up as a close-out at Staples for less than 10 bills.

As the prior poster noted, it does collect lint and every other dirt particle it can find but it cleans up nicely with Endust for Electronics wipes.

I don't use the flip screen often. I use the touch screen of the palm so much that it was driving me crazy.

I haven't had the stretching problem that everyone talks about. Then again, since I formatted my card with fat 32 I rarely have the need to hard reset. That happens once a month, on average.

When summer approaches I'll most likely go for the waterproof Otterbox. There is nothing more depressing than seeing your PDA / phone sink to the bottom of the lagoon, destined to be crab bait.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I love my Zcover case. Makes typing more prcise and the rubber does not stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by howiej1 View Post
    I love my Zcover case. Makes typing more prcise and the rubber does not stretch.

i thought about getting that but it is pricey for a skin case
    Quote Originally Posted by howiej1 View Post
    I checked out this case and ordered one. If I don't like it or it stretches, I'm suing you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    I checked out this case and ordered one. If I don't like it or it stretches, I'm suing you.
    Will that become 'case law'?
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    or u can just sell to me for half price, lol

but please follow up here with a review of the zcover case, the clip looks like real crap,,,?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast