1.    #1  
    I so much want to use chatter, but the drain on my battery makes it almost impossible. I am a technical consultant and I'm on the phone a lot during the day via my bluetooth headset. I installed chatter about 6 months ago and immediately fell in love with it. I soon realized however that it was killing my battery life.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to maximize the efficiency of chatter as to minimize the battery drain it causes.

FYI - I am now on a Treo 700p and the battery drain is even greater than on my 650.

Tony Ricciardi
    Owner
    www.MacSupport.com
    It depends hugely on your configuration. Most important are:

1) Number of mailboxes online (push)
    2) For other mailboxes, how often they're checked for mail
    3) How much mail you get and send
    4) Signal quality
    5) Settings like "Efficient Sync" if using push.

The causes of extreme loss are typically:

1) Configuration issues
    2) "Turbo Drain" caused by problems with the network and firmware in areas of margine EVDO coverage

Really, you should send me a log of an hours' activity, and I can see if everything looks ok.

I have 3 online mailboxes on my 700p, and I get about 14 hours on a charge.

Finally, Chatter can always be used with timed syncs, in which case battery life should be as good (probably better) than the competition. Plus you get all the other advantages of ChatterEmail (mentioned many times here and elsewhere).

Marc
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I have three batteries, that always helps
  4.    #4  
    I will do that, Marc.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Your participation in these boards and desire to make Chatter a killer app is one of the reasons I want this to work so badly.
    Tony Ricciardi
    Owner
    www.MacSupport.com
    I have 2. Chatter is definitely worth buying the 2nd battery.

Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    I have three batteries, that always helps
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyricciardi
    I so much want to use chatter, but the drain on my battery makes it almost impossible. I am a technical consultant and I'm on the phone a lot during the day via my bluetooth headset. I installed chatter about 6 months ago and immediately fell in love with it. I soon realized however that it was killing my battery life.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to maximize the efficiency of chatter as to minimize the battery drain it causes.

FYI - I am now on a Treo 700p and the battery drain is even greater than on my 650.

Um....it sounds to me like your being on the phone a lot and using the bt headset would kill your battery anyway, why don't you get a spare and plug in whenever possible?
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyricciardi

I use chatter's sms trigger function and tell chatter to drop the evdo connection if all mail boxes are offline. Right now my 700p has been up for 15 hours, at least 1 hour on the phone, received at least 30 emails, sent at least 4, listened to streaming music for 45 mins with pocket tunes while using blazer, not to mention checking datebook, contacts, etc. Oh, blue tooth normally down but had it up for DUN for 30 mins. IR beam also off.

Using the Sedio extended battery, I am at 42% charge.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    <moved>