1.    #1  
    I also posted this in the Palm OS Communications section. Not sure where to put this.

This may be a crazy idea, however someone may want to jump on this. I have been using the 700p (sprint) for about a month now, and love the evdo connectivity. However, I noticed that when I tether using windows xp I can get download speeds of 700k+. I believe this is due to the tcp capabilities of the windows xp which I have tweaked. I have also read that people using the windows mobile version of the 700W (Verizon) are also getting great connection speeds on EVDO.

This leads me to believe that the parameters of the palm OS are not set up to optimise, and take advantage of the highspeed internet connectivity. I believe this has something to do with the netlib settings in the palm os.

I have been optimizing systems for better and faster Internet connectivity on the windows platform for years.

So here is my question. Is there anyway of adjusting tweaking or what ever settings in the palm OS such as RWIN,MTU, MTU Discovery, Time Stamping, TTL etc.

There is such a program available for windows called Dr. TCP. How about the palm OS.

If any one knows of such a program it would be great if you could share it with us. If there is not a program of similar function, how about a developer jumping on the bandwagon, and engineering one. I am sure I would not be the first in line to buy such a product.
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    nope there is not a program to tweak the connection. I have been telling alot of people that the 700p is not even using the power of evdo. I know the 700w is wayy faster with the evdo but people here dont believe me. Palm has stated that blazer can't support over 300kbps.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    Palm has stated that blazer can't support over 300kbps.
    Where did you find that?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    its stated on palm's website 700p faqs. You might can do a google search.
  5.    #5  
    cccablecompany:

I have seen you get rocked in other threads, and I guess, that I am going to do the same thing. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I just went up to the FAQS on the palm site for the 700p, and there is no such information posted. Looked through all 30 faqs and nothing of the sort was said. If you can prove this instead of talking out your ****, post a link.

In the mean time if you have nothing positive or constructive to say stay out of my thread.

Getting back to business anyone who knows about tcp connectivity, any suggestions?
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo
    I have seen you get rocked in other threads, and I guess, that I am going to do the same thing. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I just went up to the FAQS on the palm site for the 700p, and there is no such information posted.
    LOL. He lives comfortably in his own little reality. It will be sad if we do eventually manage to crush that.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    I believe this is due to the tcp capabilities of the windows xp which I have tweaked.

Could you post your tweaked settings?
    To the OP, what makes you think that the 700p has slow EVDO?? Don't tell me dslreports.com..... If you are really a speed guru download a 10meg file and time it with a stop watch... you will see that 700p EVDO speeds are as fast, if not faster, than any other mobile device using EVDO.
  9.    #9  
    jc-Treo:

Here is a copy of my Dr. TCP settings. I use about a half a dozen servers to test my speed. I am on FIOS, and get consistantly 20,000k per second down, and 5,000k up. That is what I am paying for.

In the mean time I would still like to know if it is possible to tweak the palm OS to optimize tcp connections? There has to be some kind of tweaking software out there. With all of this high speed connectivity available, I can not beleive that someone has not developed a palm software product that allows for optimizing OS settings to take advantage of the internet capabilities available.

Again, is anybody aware of such a product? I cannot beleive that this cannot be done. I can do it on a MS mobil PDA product.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Demo; 07/20/2006 at 08:27 AM.
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I downloaded the p-tunes update last night and I must have downloaded 900 k in 2-3 seconds, but I never approach those speeds with blazer. It even seems like the sprint tv browser zips through pages as well which doesn't seem much different than blazer. Has anyone come across the issue of not being able to edit text boxes within a web page? When I click on certain ones, the screen jumps. This is a site that worked on my 650. I love this little gadget, but it would be nice to have a fix before I miss the window to return it.

BTW CCCable, I don't need your advice.
    jc-Treo:

Here is a copy of my Dr. TCP settings. I use about a half a dozen servers to test my speed. I am on FIOS, and get consistantly 20,000k per second down, and 5,000k up. That is what I am paying for.

In the mean time I would still like to know if it is possible to tweak the palm OS to optimize tcp connections? There has to be some kind of tweaking software out there. With all of this high speed connectivity available, I can not beleive that someone has not developed a palm software product that allows for optimizing OS settings to take advantage of the internet capabilities available.

Again, is anybody aware of such a product? I cannot beleive that this cannot be done. I can do it on a MS mobil PDA product.
    Without using a tool, you can view and modify the data settings on the treo by pressing ##3282# (on the Sprint version). Are any of the fields things that you find usefull?

Make sure to hit the menu key and go through all of the different screen - downloads, browser, advanced, etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    Palm has stated that blazer can't support over 300kbps.
    More of your anti-700p BS......................
    I on average (90%+) get over 400kbps.
    I can't beleive you havent been banned yet.

Quote or show where Palm has stated this.......................
  13.    #13  
    We have already disssed this guy, and I told him to stay out of the thread.
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    I think only bottleneck on my treo is Blazer somehow it seem like blazer didn't run as fast as many would like it to. Don't get me wrong I still love my treo and blazer, everthing other than blazer seem to utilize the speed of EVDO very well. I am a phone as a modem user and when I tether I also check my speed ( usually I just download 10 MB file and see my speed there, I don't trust speed check site too much) I consistantly got 850 kb/s USB and 450 kb/s. That in my opinion not bad at all. downloading file to treo seem to be pretty snappy also, I alway download software, or picture to my treo and I seem to enjoy looking at the number going by so fast ( great speed improvement over 650 imo)
    In my case, where I live, I rarely get over 300kb/s with blazer. When I go into town, it is a bit faster. I was trying internet speed tests on a 700w at the same time I did it with my 700p and the 700w beat it every time. So blazer is probably the culprit, because when I tether it seems to be faster also. If anyone can come up with some tweaks or two, I am all ears.
    thanx
    I went to verizon store and timed the 700p vs 700w on internet speed. 10 out of 12 times the 700p finished before the 700w.

Lucan
  17.    #17  
    Wow a lot of mixed reviews. I am still not convinced that there is not a way for a programmer to optimize the OS to get better TCP performance. I love speed, and would love to see some one step up to the plate. If I understood the palm OS, like I do windows, I would take the task on myself. This thread was not to compare phones or different networks. I started it to see if I could find a solution to squeak every last bit of speed I could on the sprint EVDO data network on the 700p. I have used blazer to test speed, opera to test speed, and the hacked version of Web-pro to test speed, and all the same results. I think it is the OS, and settings in the OS just like windows.
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User