Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Live TV, video and access to my home media library from my treo. I now have access to all 250 gig of content everywhere. Very very sweet
  2.    #2  
    Live TV, video and access to my home media library from my treo. I now have access to all 250 gig of content everywhere. Very very sweet.

www.orb.com
    What is this and how does it work?
    www.orb.com Or, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=orb and go to the first entry.
    Yes, this works for me, too. But here is a question. Orb.com performs a bandwidth test on your T700 and mine usually comes out around 1.2megabits. However, when I watch videos and my 700p is set to the supposed bandwidth, sound is good but the video is very choppy (like 1 picture change every 1-2 seconds, with occasional "bursts"). The player constantly says "insufficient bandwidth" but playback does not stop and rebuffer (most of the time).

So I went in and changed the connection speed via the myOrb.com preferences (using blazer) to 200kbit and this resolves the slow video but it reduces the audio quality significantly. The video is a little more blurry, too, but it is getting a good, viewable frame rate. Still get quite a few "insufficient bandwidth" messages in the player, but it doesn't affect the playback.

Anyone else having these problems? Find a way to display video/audio at a good quality?

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Threads merged.
    All depends on what your home connection, and Treo's EVDO, are able to sustain. Run DSLreports PC bandwidth test on your computer a few times. You can probably rely on 90% of what it consistantly reports for upload at any given time, if your computer doesn't do any other uploading. EVDO, on the other hand, is a bit less consistent.

Either way, I haven't found ORB's bandwidth tests to be reliable for setting your preferences with the 700p.
  8.    #8  
    I had choppy video until I changed my prefererred format to 3GP video now it works fine for me
    setting your bandwidth to 200 works too
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo
    setting your bandwidth to 200 works too
    But sound is subpar.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I upped my bandwidth to 256...sound is alittle better and no choppyness..

yes orb is great..comtemplating getting a sat box just for it...100's of channels on my treo
    Sprint 700p
    I gladly deal with the subpar sound to enjoy FREE live streaming TV on my phone. I expect that we should enjoy higher consistent bandwidths after EVDO Rev.A is rolled out.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meistro
    I expect that we should enjoy higher consistent bandwidths after EVDO Rev.A is rolled out.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe our T700p units will benefit when EVDO Rev A is rolled out. (I'm hoping the reverse, btw).
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    How do they make any money? I looked at their site and it looks like a free-download. That makes me think that there is some spyware or something in this software. Is this freeware? If so does it have any spyware?
    Orb looks neat - but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around why I'd want to leave a workstation on 24/7 (or bloat up a server) in order to have access to television on my phone. ...Other than to stroll up to a hot chick at the fern bar and say "hey foxy - wanna watch some fox "news" on my phone..?."

Seems like one of those things that is interestingly possible, but practically wasteful and selfish. Like buying a Humvee for commuting, a second house, etc.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    Orb looks neat - but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around why I'd want to leave a workstation on 24/7 (or bloat up a server) in order to have access to television on my phone.
    I wonder how much just leaving your desktop on costs in electricity... must be cheaper than $10 or 20 a month they charge for sprint tv
    Orb looks neat - but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around why I'd want to leave a workstation on 24/7 (or bloat up a server) in order to have access to television on my phone. ...Other than to stroll up to a hot chick at the fern bar and say "hey foxy - wanna watch some fox "news" on my phone..?."

Seems like one of those things that is interestingly possible, but practically wasteful and selfish. Like buying a Humvee for commuting, a second house, etc.
    Well, I have my computer on all the time as it functions as a DVR, so I have orb on there just for the heck of it. Of course, those two functions dovetail very well...
    www.snapstream.com for the DVR software
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

Not only for the phone. Had an afternoon Braves game on my PC at work in a small window, while I worked. Also it's nice on the phone, if you do a lot of waiting at airports or doctor's offices. Much more useful beyond the Wow factor, than Sprint/Mobi TV. And my home box was on 24/7 long before I got Orb.
    It is more important to affix the blame, than it is to fix the problem
    Here is a little history on Orb... I have been using it for some time now. It was initially a subscription model at $10 a month (not sure if they ever got to the point of charging) and changed their model to free with advertising. They launched around the same time of Avvenu and were playing in the place shifting space as Sling Media. While Sling has definately stolen the steam in that space because of its ease of use, Orb has the right price point if you have the hardware. I run it on a MS Media Center which I built. You need to have a TV card for it to work. To use with a sat. setup you need to have a IR adapter to control either the set top box or sat box. It works well though. You login to the Orb site and then it lists all the items that are on the home PC for media files. You also setup your cable/tv settings so that the channels available on your home PC are listed. When accessing from a PC, when you click on play, it launches WMP and streams the channel. Very good quality with good broadband on both sides. When it comes to the Treo, it launches the Kinoma player. Previous poster was right, you need to change the speed settings as the auto detect will pull from the proxy/cache that EVDO uses thus showing a much higher bandwidth then really available. 256K seems to be the magic point where both audio and video are acceptable. Be sure to click on save speed settings. I think it is as good as the SprintTV stuff IMHO. The ORB page is a little hard to read and navigate on the palm so if anyone knows if they have a mobile formatted site available please post. BTW, advertising yes, malware or spyware definately not...
    Also remember that Sprint is a partner with ORB and they encourage it's use with their Media enabled phones.

http://sprint.orb.com

The UK is embracing ORB more than the US just Google: TV Anywhere" from Hauppauge Digital
    Last edited by drei22; 08/23/2006 at 11:57 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast