Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The only thing bad i have to say about orb is that it has to kick you out of media center. I dont know how many times i have gotten a call because i kicked someone off the TV at home, from an airport, to watch the twins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Orb looks neat - but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around why I'd want to leave a workstation on 24/7 (or bloat up a server) in order to have access to television on my phone. ...Other than to stroll up to a hot chick at the fern bar and say "hey foxy - wanna watch some fox "news" on my phone..?."

Seems like one of those things that is interestingly possible, but practically wasteful and selfish. Like buying a Humvee for commuting, a second house, etc.
    You obviously haven't read a darn thing about what ORB is or what it does. Like the part on the website where it says "ORB can be accessed from any device with a web browser and Media Player for viewing video" Also ORB is all of 10Meg in size so that's bloating your machine? You don't dedicate a PC to ORB you can use your PC just like you normally would while it's running.

Orb Benefits

Full Feature List
    OrbTV
    Watch your favorite shows
    Stream live or recorded TV
    Schedule TV recordings when you are on the go
    Access and monitor your Webcams wherever you are

OrbPhoto
    Store and view photos from anywhere!
    Share your favorite photos stored on your PC with friends
    Send photos from your camera phone to your home PC.

OrbAudio
    Stream your MP3 collection
    Enjoy quality sound with no long downloads
    Listen to your favorite recorded radio shows

OrbVideo
    Watch your recorded TV shows from any Internet-connected device
    Enjoy your movies and home videos when away from home
    Stream your videos. No need to wait for a download

Orb Add-Ons
    Get driving directions and maps when you are on the go
    Check weather and stocks anytime, anywhere
    One simple interface, optimized to your remote device

And it has a few more tricks up it's sleeve if you visit the website.
    Last edited by drei22; 08/24/2006 at 12:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny View Post
    The only thing bad i have to say about orb is that it has to kick you out of media center. I dont know how many times i have gotten a call because i kicked someone off the TV at home, from an airport, to watch the twins.
    That's an easy fix you need another TV card installed. Just like your regular TV one tuner will only let you view one show at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by drei22 View Post
    That's an easy fix you need another TV card installed. Just like your regular TV one tuner will only let you view one show at a time.
    i have 3 tuners (2 SDTV, 1 HDTV). orb cannot stream while media center is running. i assume media center locks the tuners when it is running in case it needs them. when you connect to orb, there is a link to kill the media center, which works, but no TV for the rest of the house.

when (if) cable card tuners come out, i will just take one old tuner out of media center and put it in a different computer. if i set up the shares, it will see my recorded stuff from my media center the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny View Post
    i assume media center locks the tuners when it is running in case it needs them. when you connect to orb, there is a link to kill the media center, which works, but no TV for the rest of the house.
    Oh Ok. Yes you are correct about Media Center locking the TV tuners.

"When the Media Center application is launched on your home PC and its ehrec.exe process is running in the Windows Task Manager, to prevent tuner-sharing conflicts, Orb will assume that it has not yet released the TV tuner and will prompt you to "Stop Media Center" before initiating your live TV stream."

I use SnapStream on my PC which allows all tuners to be shared with ORB. Good thing to know though I was seriously considering installing Media Center.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    has anyone gotten Orb to work with a Treo 650 yet? i can make it work fine on my computer at work or my wife's laptop, but i always get unrecognized format. what media player do i need to get it to work? any thoughts or ideas or is it just impossible on the 650. i can accept that...good motivation to try to get the 700p, but the 650 does everythign else i need.
    "Never Put off until tomorrow
    what you can do the day after tomorrow"
    --Mark Twain

PalmIII => Sony Clie' => Dell Axim X30 => Treo 650 and loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by truoc444 View Post
    has anyone gotten Orb to work with a Treo 650 yet? i can make it work fine on my computer at work or my wife's laptop, but i always get unrecognized format. what media player do i need to get it to work? any thoughts or ideas or is it just impossible on the 650. i can accept that...good motivation to try to get the 700p, but the 650 does everythign else i need.
    The 650 has no built in Streaming Media player. So I think you will have to install Kinoma for it to work.
    Again for all of those who want to check ORB out without installing it you can use an account on my home PC.

http://sprint.orb.com

username: user2
    password: password

I have Live TV, pics, music and recorded TV in ORB for testing.

If the video gets choppy scroll to the bottom of the page click Set Speed and enter between 200K - 220K. That should optimze the upload speed to your Treo. Also on that same page I would suggest selecting Windows Media as your preferred codec. The picture quality is much better 3GP and Real Media are very flaky and often timeout.

It's only one single account so you will have to wait until whomever is logged in logs out to test.

Please post your thoughts about your experience with ORB after you have tested it out.
    Last edited by drei22; 08/30/2006 at 02:40 PM.
    drei22-

thanks for posting your login info - I've enjoyed testing your livetv since mine is not working. I'm able to access everything else (including recorded tv)! I usually connect fine, but once connected I'm on the wrong channel and viewing a gray screen that plays for 10:05. I've done extensive searching in the orb forums and here, but no luck!

using:
    mce 2005
    pvr 150
    vbox 3650 (atsc)
    700p
    (and your settings in orb)

any ideas - you seem to be the expert!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by chobo View Post
    drei22-

thanks for posting your login info - I've enjoyed testing your livetv since mine is not working. I'm able to access everything else (including recorded tv)! I usually connect fine, but once connected I'm on the wrong channel and viewing a gray screen that plays for 10:05. I've done extensive searching in the orb forums and here, but no luck!

using:
    mce 2005
    pvr 150
    vbox 3650 (atsc)
    700p
    (and your settings in orb)

any ideas - you seem to be the expert!?!?

What I suggest is that you un-install ORB. After that go here http://www.codecguide.com/download_mega.htm and download the Kazaa Mega Codec Pack. It will have all the codecs necessary to for streaming media in ORB. After you have installed the codec pack re-install the latest version of ORB and reboot. I had that same problem early on and the re-install fixed it for me. The only big difference between our systems is that I use XP Pro with SnapStream and you use MCE.

Let me know what happens.

DREi
    drei-

thanks for the tips! I was able to get the tv tuner working, but still have two issues regardless of up/downstream bandwidth or codec settings:

first - kinoma player hangs after roughly 10 seconds and reports insufficient bandwidth - once this happens there's no recovering (wmv selected as prefferred - 3gp and high quality also checked).

second: if I could get live tv to play beyond 10 seconds it appears that the clip would end slightly after 10:05.

the orb boards aren't very responsive so I'm going to straight to the expert! TIA!

chobo
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe our T700p units will benefit when EVDO Rev A is rolled out. (I'm hoping the reverse, btw).
    Appearantly, if the T700p has the MSM6500 chipset, then no, Rev.A won't matter.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...58#post1075058
    Chobo

Go back and read my post from 08/24/2006 I explain what to do to optimize bandwidth for better video.
    Hello - wanted to test, but if my treo says "Your home PC is not connected to the ORB server" - is your PC still serving this link for viewing? THNKS
    Charliec
    Quote Originally Posted by charliec View Post
    Hello - wanted to test, but if my treo says "Your home PC is not connected to the ORB server" - is your PC still serving this link for viewing? THNKS
    Try it out now.
    You obviously haven't read a darn thing about what ORB is or what it does. Like the part on the website where it says "ORB can be accessed from any device with a web browser and Media Player for viewing video" Also ORB is all of 10Meg in size so that's bloating your machine? You don't dedicate a PC to ORB you can use your PC just like you normally would while it's running.
    I *thought* that I read at least one "darn thing" about Orb... perhaps I didn't explain it clearly. As far as I can tell - to use Orb one needs to have a PC running somewhere in order to serve up the files. "Bloat" (and added security issues) can be in running services, also. Please tell me where you believe I haven't read accurately.

I tried running your demo, and got the "Your home PC is not connected to the Orb server." error. Which kinda leads me to believe that my observation was correct. I guess if you had enabled "wake on LAN" then it would connect, but in the end it appears that Orb requires a running PC to serve up resources.

Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    I *thought* that I read at least one "darn thing" about Orb... perhaps I didn't explain it clearly. As far as I can tell - to use Orb one needs to have a PC running somewhere in order to serve up the files. "Bloat" (and added security issues) can be in running services, also. Please tell me where you believe I haven't read accurately.

I tried running your demo, and got the "Your home PC is not connected to the Orb server." error. Which kinda leads me to believe that my observation was correct. I guess if you had enabled "wake on LAN" then it would connect, but in the end it appears that Orb requires a running PC to serve up resources.

Yes ORB requires a pc to be powered on and the wake-on LAN feaure works well. The "Your home PC is not connected to the Orb server" error you received just meant I had stopped the ORB client from running but my PC was still online. I stopped the client earlier while I was playing Madden 07 online. I needed the bandwidth sorry about that.

So try it out now.

Also look beyond just it's use on your Treo. Pull it up on your desktop or laptop and test the features. Record something then stop the recording and view it. If you have iTunes installed and there are related shows it will even link you to the downloads of shows in iTunes.
    There are some features I won't turn on in my demo (security reasons) such as Orb will list all of your email contacts, let you browse files and execute media files, list your web bookmarks that are on your pc, Skype Web voicemail and TiVO-to-Go DVR everywhere. You have to set those up on your own pc.

Orb is only processor intensive when watching live TV and with the a Duo Core processor you won't even notice it running.
    The only point I'm trying to make with ORB is that for the price of a TV card, a PC you already use at home and the free ORB software why not give it a try?

But I warn you if you are a true TV watcher Orb can be a distraction at work!

For you desktop and laptop ORB users check this out!

http://briandailey.googlepages.com/absorb

Basically this guy put a skin on IE so you can have one click access to ORB functions.
    Also when comparing ORB to a SlingBox (which I really like) remember the SlingBox takes over the cable box it's connected to. So whatever you are watching remotely the person at home has to watch that show as well. With ORB you can have multiple TV cards and up to 3 accounts watching seperate TV shows all at once with no TV connected.
    Not sure why there are so many ORB haters out there but oh well. I use Sling and Orb so I get the best of both worlds.
    The 650 has no built in Streaming Media player. So I think you will have to install Kinoma for it to work.
    Are there instructions on how to get this to work? I just bought kinoma and can't seem to get orb streaming to work on my treo 650.

I set the default to 3gp output but blazer just keeps asking me if i want to save a live.sdp file to my palm... it doesnt kick over to kinoma....
    I own a 700p so I'm not sure if it works or not on a 650. Was just assuming you could install Kinoma and it would work.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast