1.    #1  
    My 650 took an early death last week and I received another one from Verizon. I figured I would just load my SD card with Backupman and load it all. My new 650 has the newest ROM update, so I figured I would just load in everything. Everything loaded, but now the 650 crashes/resets a lot. My old 650 would do the usual lost preferences, but this new one crashes while running many programs including: Butler, Backupman, NVBackup, Resco backup, TCPMP, and Technician to name a few. It will reset, and lose all preferences, sometimes while doing a preference restore from another crash/reset. Not sure what I should do. Should I delete the programs I think are giving me trouble one at a time to see which it is, or should I hard reset, and load in one at a time. If I hard reset, can I use the SD card with the backup files to load the programs one at a time? I am on the raod for a week, and not able to hotsync.
    Please help.
    As always, thanks
    T
    Verizon 650/Tekkeon mini/Krussel classic case
    Let's start up with recommending an application or two or three or four.
    #1 - Preference Doctor - it does not stop the crash problem, it does though ease the pain of lost preferences. It copies the saved preferences and normally restores them after a reset if the need arises. It also gives you the option of restoring from an earlier copy, which is what I normally do. Also, I enable all three options.
    #2 - Resco Locker - lock those apps that may have problems with the file system. I locked HanDBase and it did wonders.
    #3 - Watch the DB cache and make sure it gets flushed routinely. That can be done with Resco Backup or a free program like MemoryInfo. I routeinly use MemoryInfo to check and clear the DB cache.

If you have the time, click on the link below; it is at Resco's site and details the problems we all experience with the current file system. The information is an accurate description of the situation.

http://resco.net/palm/backup/aboutbackup.asp

There are those programs that just are not able to cope with the current file system and those are the ones that generally cause the most problems. Again the above link discusses this. As for those files I defintely would delete them, do a soft reset and try it again. If it works, then fine; if it does not work, then off it goes.

From what you write, you definitely need a good backup program. If no Java, BackupManager, if Java then Resco Backup.

Ben
    ease the pain of lost preferences
    just to add up, those preferences you made are saved in the backup folder in the PC
    look for:

Saved_Preferences.PRC

double click it for it to appear in palm quick install, then sync

same procedure if you want to retrieve call logs.
    look for:

PhoneCallDB.PDB

favorites buttons:

PhoneFavorites2DB.PDB

pictures saved in your treo memory (install both):

ImageLib_imageDB.PDB
    ImageLib_mainDB.PDB

vedio clips saved in treo memory:

Photo_Video.PRC

& for SMS messages:
    the format of the file is

SMS_<phone number of the sender>.PDB

hope that helps...
    This is fine, but it does not address the stability issues of the Treo 650/700p series. Ben
    well just in case our pal trevsdad have done a hard reset & needs to pull out necessary info...

also try using FileZ...

copy in mem card
    to back up

contacts: AddressDB
    calendar: DatebookDB
    task: ToDoDB
    memos: MemoDB

to retrieve just copy it back in the phone mem.
    regarding stability, i hope this page could help:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=120401
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for everyones' response. I have not done anything yet, other than delete Bulter. I am now considering deleting VolumeCare. Seems to be a little more stable without Butler, but still reseting occassionaly, especially during a backup. I have tried PrefDoctor, but didn't see the need to spend more money on apps, since both BackupMan and Resco Backup have the ability to restore individual files - saved preferences, and unsaved preferences. With Backup Man I have to select those files, with Resco backup, I have a sperate backup that specifically saves only my prefs every few hours. I am still getting resets, however, using Resco backup. Not sure yet if I will keep it. Any thoughts? I am also using FileZ, as Benn had mentioned. The other Ben, mentioned Resco locker. Does Resco backup do the same thing as it gives you the option to lock certain apps during a backup? Just wondering what I should keep, delete, and add.

Thanks again!
    Verizon 650/Tekkeon mini/Krussel classic case
    Why should I have to load additional software to prevent or log crashes!! I finally gave up and picked up a Blackberry 8700c. I have had it for a week now and the phone and email are rock solid. Not one crash. Granted .... there are some limitations with lack of software, however, I need to consider why I carry a device ... phone and email are primary.

btw - switching has been similar to my windows to mac switch last year .... first couple of days were tough.
    Pilot 1000 >> PalmIII >> Palm IV >> Samsung I300 >> Kyocera 6035 >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> BB 8700c
    Please add on as much third party software on your Blackberry as you had on your treo and report back on it's stability...
    Quote Originally Posted by tfa675
    Why should I have to load additional software to prevent or log crashes!! I finally gave up and picked up a Blackberry 8700c. I have had it for a week now and the phone and email are rock solid. Not one crash. Granted .... there are some limitations with lack of software, however, I need to consider why I carry a device ... phone and email are primary.

btw - switching has been similar to my windows to mac switch last year .... first couple of days were tough.

Actually, you may need to upgrade/update the software that you had used in your treo so you can eliminate the crashes that you are experiencing. Also, performing some resets such as soft and warm resets will help to eliminate the possiblity that the problem happened in the hardware. I hope this help.
    IF YOU CAN'T BEAT ME, JOIN ME!!!