Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so i have a sprint treo and have used the ROMTool to customize my ROM. It's a beautiful thing. I have about a mb and change of free space left inside the ROM. I've been scouring the forums and have read Matthew Mastracci's article about DBCache and reducing the ROM size. From what he says, I gather that it'd be best to shrink my ROM partition to just bigger than the size of my ROM. But, Sprint's ROM Partition is 7.1mb. Is there a way to get the partition smaller, or do I only have the option of choosing from one of the partition sizes released by the different carriers? (this is where I start to get really confused).

    If I can't get the partition smaller, would the best idea be to fill up the rest of the ROM's empty space with programs or just leave it empty?

    This thread is the closest I could get to learning about actually changing the partition size: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=323

    If there are other threads that answers these questions, could you please point me to them?

    Thanks! Since I've customized the ROM, the phone hasn't reset on it's own once!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdouglas
    Okay, so i have a sprint treo and have used the ROMTool to customize my ROM. It's a beautiful thing. I have about a mb and change of free space left inside the ROM. I've been scouring the forums and have read Matthew Mastracci's article about DBCache and reducing the ROM size. From what he says, I gather that it'd be best to shrink my ROM partition to just bigger than the size of my ROM. But, Sprint's ROM Partition is 7.1mb. Is there a way to get the partition smaller, or do I only have the option of choosing from one of the partition sizes released by the different carriers? (this is where I start to get really confused).

    If I can't get the partition smaller, would the best idea be to fill up the rest of the ROM's empty space with programs or just leave it empty?

    This thread is the closest I could get to learning about actually changing the partition size: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=323

    If there are other threads that answers these questions, could you please point me to them?

    Thanks! Since I've customized the ROM, the phone hasn't reset on it's own once!
    Keep the partition you have.
    Don't fill it back up.

    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ghlight=custom
    Just call me Berd.
  3. #3  
    Just call me Berd.
  4. #4  
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #5  
    nice--thanks for the quick reply and the info!
  6. #6  
    I don't know if you meant something else when you said it, but you can't change the partition size yourself. The partitioning is dynamically configured by the update software which you run on your Treo. From what I've seen, the device uses the length of the ROM image to create a new partition table.


  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    I don't know if you meant something else when you said it, but you can't change the partition size yourself. The partitioning is dynamically configured by the update software which you run on your Treo. From what I've seen, the device uses the length of the ROM image to create a new partition table.
    Actually, it's hard coded in the ROM updater that you use. Jamesgangut cataloged a number of updater applicatiosn -> partition sizes a while back.
  8.    #8  
    And since the sprint updater (or whatever the correct term is) has the one of the smallest, at 7.1mb, looks like that's the best I can do.

    And mmastrac, thanks for the kickass tool. It's a beautiful thing.
  9. #9  
    Ah, while I'm thinking about it, I have a question. Sorry if it's off topic, it's really 1/2 off topic, I had your question and mine in mind when changing my ROM.

    I read a post about changing a file that has what boots up when you reset the Treo. It said if you take out a program, to take that out also, just for a speedier boot, I think. I believe this was for the old way of updating, and couldn't find any other information about it. Is this needed with the new tool, and if so, does it give that much of a boost? Mine boots up pretty fast.
  10. #10  
    You mean the boot.conf? Don't remove the boot.conf file, it contains the location in memory where the ROM image is exists and is executed from. If you delete that, your Treo won't boot.

    I've lost that much more respect for Palm or Access or whoever. How simple would it be to write a function that calculates the length of the ROM image and pass that value into their partitioning function? I'll give them a head start with the math.

    romlength=(romsize*TOTAL_LENGTH)/32;

    I'm not sure about determining the value for romsize, but something like this:

    FILE*stream=fopen(fileName,"r");
    fseek(stream,0L,SEEK_END);
    long romsize=ftell(stream);
    fclose(stream);


    Now those lazy software guys have no excuse.


  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    You mean the boot.conf? Don't remove the boot.conf file, it contains the location in memory where the ROM image is exists and is executed from. If you delete that, your Treo won't boot.

    I've lost that much more respect for Palm or Access or whoever. How simple would it be to write a function that calculates the length of the ROM image and pass that value into their partitioning function? I'll give them a head start with the math.

    romlength=(romsize*TOTAL_LENGTH)/32;

    I'm not sure about determining the value for romsize, but something like this:

    FILE*stream=fopen(fileName,"r");
    fseek(stream,0L,SEEK_END);
    long romsize=ftell(stream);
    fclose(stream);


    Now those lazy software guys have no excuse.
    The only problem with that is that 1 out of every 5000 (rough guess, but I'd bet it's close) treos will likely permabrick during the partitioning process because of the brain-dead way they do things. Basically, they erase the entire storage area (including the part used for the initial boot, the IPL) and lay down the data from scratch.

    My guess is that it's just easier to RMA all the busted phones from ROM updates than to fix the problem
  12. #12  
    When you say "the brain-dead way they do things", who is they? I'm proposing an autonomous application which dynamically configures the partition table using C library functions and a bit of math. This is just speculation, but I imagine there is function which takes the image size or length as a parameter and partitions accordingly, why make that value statically defined when simple math would add greater functionality to the existing update software?


Posting Permissions