Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For those that have the 700p, how is it as a phone? How is the sound quality and how is the volume? The 650 was only so-so as a phone, IMHO, and the volume was low.

Thanks.
    I think it's okay as a phone. Call quality is fine... the Mic is a little sensitive but sometimes that is an advantage and can be adjusted with volumecare. With a good wired or bluetooth headset the sound quality is great. The reason that I wouldn't call it a great phone is that with the myriad features of the phone, the phone app can sometimes lag a few seconds whne picking up a call or placing a call... it doesn't happen often but even once a week is more than I had to deal with on a dedicated phone. If you don't need the internet / pda features I would go with a cheaper, more reliable phone.
    It's the best phone out there in comparison with other PDA phones I've owned such as Windows Mobile
    Works like a charm.
    It freakin' rocks!
    It's actually good. I was afraid I was going to have to get VolumeCare because people said the 650's was bad so I assumed the 700p would be the same. Thank goodness it's not.
    I think its a good phone. The volume is fine in most situations, but can be too low if you're somewhere loud- like walking on a busy street in Downtown L.A. . Volumecare or Phone Technician can fix that, though. I've found reception to be excellent.
    Most reviews put phone quality as "decent"....better than 98% of smartphones tho.

See http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=114560
  9. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    The 650 was a so-so phone. The 700p is quite good. It's loud enough, the speakerphone works quite well. The sound quality is also quite good.

A dedicated phone might be better, but I have another Blackberry and the sound quality is terrible.
    crappy. It's very slow when you dial keys and its drops calls like a nextel.
    i haven't had a dropped call yet and it seems to be fast enough for me
    I have had mine for a almost two months and have dropped 2 calls. The reception seems real good though, especially in areas I did have problems with before.
    at&t iPhone3G
    does volumecare 5.46 work for the 700p?
    Visit me at myspace:
    www.myspace.com/stylestrumentals
    For me, my Sprint 700p doesn't work as well as my VZW 700w. The P goes into roam too much and thus I keep getting that horrendous lag whilst it switches between roaming mode and native mode. Even driving into my garage about 1 floor underground will make it roam on VZW's network while in my apt on the 2nd floor, I get great native service. Same thing downtown in the hospital. W holds the signal all over and even in the elevators while the P roams. Sucks because I really wanted SERO but I need to be able to access my data more freely. Even when I don't sometimes I try to use the P while it's switching and it just lags. Unfortunate because the P loads my medical programs MUCH faster than the W. Maybe I should consider the VZW P. But I don't want to eat the costs...

Otherwise, when I do have reception, native or roaming, the P performed great. The earpiece volume is lower than the W without any hacks to boost it. Likewise with the speakerphone and ringtones. Also, I like the way the W allows access to the phonebook (numbers or names without having to press the option key first). The W also shows the picture ID in more places. Even in emails and SMS.

While I'm at it, if I kept the P, I'd need to spend an extra $60 for Chatteremail since it brings me to pretty much push mail by using SMS triggers. Wish the W had this so I can have "push" on my non-exchange emails.

Battery life between the two are similar with moderate use. The P however, idles longer than my W can. But with my normal use, it's even.

To answer your question, I think the P can be a great phone, but sometimes it won't be ready for you when you need it. And that will depend on where you live and frequent.

I live in Troy, MI btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by blulegend
    For me, my Sprint 700p doesn't work as well as my VZW 700w. The P goes into roam too much and thus I keep getting that horrendous lag whilst it switches between roaming mode and native mode. Even driving into my garage about 1 floor underground will make it roam on VZW's network while in my apt on the 2nd floor, I get great native service. Same thing downtown in the hospital. W holds the signal all over and even in the elevators while the P roams. Sucks because I really wanted SERO but I need to be able to access my data more freely. Even when I don't sometimes I try to use the P while it's switching and it just lags. Unfortunate because the P loads my medical programs MUCH faster than the W. Maybe I should consider the VZW P. But I don't want to eat the costs...

Otherwise, when I do have reception, native or roaming, the P performed great. The earpiece volume is lower than the W without any hacks to boost it. Likewise with the speakerphone and ringtones. Also, I like the way the W allows access to the phonebook (numbers or names without having to press the option key first). The W also shows the picture ID in more places. Even in emails and SMS.

While I'm at it, if I kept the P, I'd need to spend an extra $60 for Chatteremail since it brings me to pretty much push mail by using SMS triggers. Wish the W had this so I can have "push" on my non-exchange emails.

Battery life between the two are similar with moderate use. The P however, idles longer than my W can. But with my normal use, it's even.

To answer your question, I think the P can be a great phone, but sometimes it won't be ready for you when you need it. And that will depend on where you live and frequent.

I live in Troy, MI btw.
    The problem is definately a VZW vs. Sprint issue. Verizon's EVDO network is more fleshed out at this point. Sprint still alot of coverage gaps.. I am tempted to switch but I too don't want to eat the coverage costs and pay verizon's higher rates.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for the updates so far guys, all interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    The problem is definately a VZW vs. Sprint issue. Verizon's EVDO network is more fleshed out at this point. Sprint still alot of coverage gaps.. I am tempted to switch but I too don't want to eat the coverage costs and pay verizon's higher rates.
    That has nothing to do with it. It is more of a 700w vs. 700p. Sprints EV-DO coverage is almost up to the coverage area of Verizon's. Plus because Sprint's 1900Mhz towers are closer together, the speeds are faster then Verizon's 800Mhz tower coverage. Sprint was planning on rolling EVDO out before Verizon initially last year, but Sprint had to put that on the back burner due to the merger aquiring Nextel. That is why in the last year Sprint has slowed in a lot of areas when billions of dallars were at stake, so Verizon has capatalized on it, rolling EVDO out first, releasing the 700w first, commercials, etc.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Sad to say, the 2 most unstable programs on my treo are "Phone" and "Web".

When i switch to another call waiting, and the first person hangs up.. it still shows me connected.

Sometimes, hanging up a call (or additinal events during a call like another call, or sms, or an alarm, or a call coming in when i'm on the web) will cause a soft reset.

When i start up or exit from the web program, there are intermittent delays of unpredictable amounts of time.

But don't get me wrong, i love this thing and wouldn't trade it for any other phone out there right now (in the US) :-)
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I've had very good experiences with the Treo 700p as a phone (Sprint), coming from a Cingular Motorola V551 GSM.

However, I just have two problems with the Treo 700p:
    1. It does not show you how many voicemail messages you have.
    2. It shows the caller's phone number, but does not show the caller's name even if that person is in my address book.

Which is weird, since I would think the Treo would have something as basic as caller's name ID.
    Hmmm that's weird. My treo shows caller's name just fine.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast