Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Two questions.

1. I wanted to try SplashId, but their website doesn't list a Privacy Policy. I e-mailed them but haven't heard anything yet. Doesn't this concern people?

2. This being my first treo (Sprint 700p), what happens if you lose your Treo? Is there a way to SMS the phone to either erase your data or lock it down? I know the 700 has the security feature, but strangely mine doesn't lock down after I say "lock after four hours". It's always still on, so I'm guessing it's just a bug that's being worked on. What kind of security feature is best when dealing with passwords or sensitive data?
    1. With SplashID your data is stored on your Treo and your PC. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but why would there need to be a privacy policy?

2. Check out the Butler application (www.hobbyistsoftware.com). That has an option to erase all of your Treo and SD card information via an SMS.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    1. With SplashID your data is stored on your Treo and your PC. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but why would there need to be a privacy policy?
    Well, most websites have a PP and I just thought it was strange that they didn't list one. I guess I'm always suspicious that companies are trying to harvest my information--especially when you're dealing with passwords and sensitive information.

Cool, I'll check out Butler for sure. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Hmm, Butler isn't supported on the 700p yet. Is there another app available?
    Might want to look at mobiLock (www.mantragroup.com), mSafe (www.motionapps.com) or Warden as well. Not sure which ones support the 700p though...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by crownzeal
    Two questions.

1. I wanted to try SplashId, but their website doesn't list a Privacy Policy. I e-mailed them but haven't heard anything yet. Doesn't this concern people?

2. This being my first treo (Sprint 700p), what happens if you lose your Treo? Is there a way to SMS the phone to either erase your data or lock it down? I know the 700 has the security feature, but strangely mine doesn't lock down after I say "lock after four hours". It's always still on, so I'm guessing it's just a bug that's being worked on. What kind of security feature is best when dealing with passwords or sensitive data?
    That is definitely a bug. Are you using the latest version. I set my Splash id to lock after 1 minute of inactivity and it has done so everytime so far.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    TreoHelper is another option. It's freeware, and (among other things) you can lock your Treo remotely via SMS. Not positive it works on the 700, but since it was last updated in '03 and works great on the 650, I'm guessing it's pretty device-agnostic.

BTW, a search for "SMS lock" turned up the following:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...light=sms+lock
    ... etc.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    mSafe has locking features via sms, and so does Butler.

*Sorry, didn't see that Butler wasn't supported on the 700p yet.
    Last edited by ricochet; 07/18/2006 at 09:17 AM. Reason: *edit
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    FYI, I (and many others) use Butler on the 700P--- it works fine. As for Splashdata (developer of SplashID and several other apps), it's a very reputable company that has been around for quite awhile. I use several of their apps (including SplashID). SplashID is pretty secure, but I share your concerns, and have Butler available in case needed to wipe out treo....
    You can also set Splash ID so the program has its own password, independent of the security on your Treo.

I am using Butler on my 700p with no problems.
    Sparky makes a good point. I use a different password for splash ID than I do for my treo. Indeed, I use a different password for splash ID than I do for ANY other thing. I'm not so stringent when it comes to many passwords (my life will not end if someone figures out how to post as me on treo central).
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I'm not so stringent when it comes to many passwords (my life will not end if someone figures out how to post as me on treo central).
    It might result in lots of banning and threadlocking!

Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Has anyone done a comparison of SplashID versus other password-storage solutions. I've used SplashID for years but I have a sense that its encryption is not state of the art (certainly it isn't 256 AES, and it doesn't require randomized data for the hash).

I need something that syncs with a desktop PC app. Any recommendations?
    Wanted to renew my request for info -- which Palm app for storing passwords, with a Windows conduit, has the strongest encryption?
    I've been using Dataviz Passwords Plus for a number of years, and its encrypted.

I'm not sure about SplashID, but I discovered that Splash Money does NOT encrypt the info in the DBs (i.e., you can open the databases in Notepad, and view all of the account info). I tried this when I saw that the website didn't state whether or not the data was encrypted. It's a bit cryptic, but just the fact that you can see all of the account info in freetext is pretty lame.

Again, I don't know if this applies to Splash ID as well...but if they don't advertise encryption, then it probably isn't.

So, if you're big on security of your data, I guess that leaves using the other suggestions on this thread (phone locking, SMS resetting, etc.)... or, use a different application.
    My understanding is that SplashID DOES use 256k Blowfish encryption, which for all intents and purposes is simply unbreakable. (I remember reading something to the effect that if each "cracking" computer were the size of a grain of sand and you covered the entire earth to a depth of 1 meter with these computers, it would still take like 1000 years to crack 128K).

So, unlike half of Palm's native-password protected stuff (which is easily viewable by any editor), so long as you have a PW on SplashID, you should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by gellmanb
    Has anyone done a comparison of SplashID versus other password-storage solutions. I've used SplashID for years but I have a sense that its encryption is not state of the art (certainly it isn't 256 AES, and it doesn't require randomized data for the hash).

I need something that syncs with a desktop PC app. Any recommendations?
    Well, I checked Dataviz site and it's 128 encryption, I don't think it specifies the type of standard.

SplashID official site says Blowfish but I can't see that it specifies 256.
    Quote Originally Posted by gellmanb
    SplashID official site says Blowfish but I can't see that it specifies 256.
    Actually, it does: "Lock your data using 256-bit Blowfish encryption security"

It's under the image on the SplashID page with the number pad that says SplashID Password.
    Quote Originally Posted by janiedoll
    Actually, it does: "Lock your data using 256-bit Blowfish encryption security"

It's under the image on the SplashID page with the number pad that says SplashID Password.
    Cool. Makes me feel better about it.
    There is a privacy policy on the site, but it only relates to subscribing to our enews:

http://splashdata.com/register/privacy.htm

We may add something about not accessing your sensitive data, but we always thought this went without saying. We never have access to the SplashID data that a user enters. Our software is not communicating with the mothership.

Once you set a password in SplashID, both on the desktop and handheld, the data is encrypted using 256-bit blowfish encryption on both the handheld and the desktop. The password is also encrypted within the data file. And the data is synchronized between the desktop and handheld in an encrypted state. If someone were to get a hold of your datafile, they would be unable to decrypt it without knowing the password.

For more info on Blowfish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowfish_(cipher)

Regarding SplashMoney, yes. SplashMoney does not encrypt the transaction data. We do, however, encrypt the account info data. This is your account number, user name and password when you set up online banking. The logic behind it is that the transactions themselves are not dangerous (you bought groceries, clothing, paid your bills), but the login data is dangerous to lose. Make sense?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast