1.    #1  
    as topic suggests, i want to buy them for under $200 if possible. Any deals or suggestions?
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I bought a receiver on eBay. Holux 20 channel. Downloaded TomTom off torrent to make sure it worked and it is great. Buying TT soon as to get updates etc.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndew
    I bought a receiver on eBay. Holux 20 channel. Downloaded TomTom off torrent to make sure it worked and it is great. Buying TT soon as to get updates etc.
    what is the full description of the holux you bought on ebay and how much did you get it for so i know how much to bargain?

so i only need to buy the holus gps bluetooth receiver and a map software for it to work on treo 650, right? Any adapters necessary?
    If you get a bluetooth GPS reciever then no adapters are neccessary. Of course, you may want to consider getting a car charger/cradle for your Treo.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I just today setup my 650 with TomTom and the Holux 236. Works great together except I don't like the fact it doesn't announce the street names for the turns. Here in NJ streets are so densley packed that when it says "right turn in 300 yards" it could be any one of 4 streets. You have to look at the device to see the street name.

Holux is a great device, $75 delivered off eBay. Can't go wrong.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I just today setup my 650 with TomTom and the Holux 236. Works great together except I don't like the fact it doesn't announce the street names for the turns. Here in NJ streets are so densley packed that when it says "right turn in 300 yards" it could be any one of 4 streets. You have to look at the device to see the street name.

Holux is a great device, $75 delivered off eBay. Can't go wrong.
    thanks, how much did you pay for the tomtom?
    EarthComber doesn't do turn-by-turn directions, but it does have excellent maps, points of interest, etc. And it's free.

BTW, there are lots of threads on this, you really should have searched.
    If you go to Treo Central's store or MyTreo.Net's store, there are plenty of GPS solutions for around $200-$250. Just click on the links at the top of the page.
    Sign up for 6 months of TeleNav (www.telenav.com) for $60 and you'll get a BT-339 GPS reciever for free...not to mention you can use the TeleNav service (which has more up-to-date maps for my area than TomTom).
    I'd also like to add that I've had several GPS recievers and the TeleNav one (339) is by far the strongest one I've own.....it's worked inside every building I've gone into w/o any problems.
    Ryan, I looked at their web site and didn't see anything mentioning a free GPS receiver for a 6 month subscription....maybe I didn't dig deep enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    Ryan, I looked at their web site and didn't see anything mentioning a free GPS receiver for a 6 month subscription....maybe I didn't dig deep enough.
    I think you need to go through the process of actually trying to sign up for service. When you tell it that you're using a Treo 650 it'll add the GPS reciever and an automatic -$80 discount. They may have stopped the promotion, but last I checked it was still going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by zackwz
    as topic suggests, i want to buy them for under $200 if possible. Any deals or suggestions?
    First decide what you want and then go to eBay. I have both the iTrek and the HOLUX 236. Use both, like both. I have used both the Mapopolis and TomTom software. Prefer Mapopolis routing, and technical support. Prefer the TomTom interface, software design and map management.