Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I've had the 700p for about 3 days now and I have to recharge after about 8 hours and maybe 60 minutes of calls. I do have GL installed but my 650 had much,much better battery life. I could go 2 days or so without a recharge.

Any ideas? I'm not running anything else besides GoodLink and using the phone very moderately.

Thinking about going back to my 650 and selling the new 700. Maybe waiting for the 700w on Sprint if it comes out.

Thanks

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshFink
    Ok, I've had the 700p for about 3 days now and I have to recharge after about 8 hours and maybe 60 minutes of calls. I do have GL installed but my 650 had much,much better battery life. I could go 2 days or so without a recharge.

Any ideas? I'm not running anything else besides GoodLink and using the phone very moderately.

Thinking about going back to my 650 and selling the new 700. Maybe waiting for the 700w on Sprint if it comes out.

Thanks

Josh
    When u first got the phone, did you drain the battery all the way down and charge it all the way up for a few cycles?

-t
    Treo 700p -->> 755p
  3.    #3  
    No, I didn't the guy on the phone when I got it just said to charge it overnight. Not the best idea?
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Good info here. Basically, DON'T do a full discharge and recharge.
    I had to get the extended battery to get me through the day. Makes the 700P a bit heavier, but now I can go a full day w/o having to recharge. They sell it here on TreoCentral for a reasonable price. Hopefully a future ROM update will help this out. Several other threads discuss some other tricks too--check em out.
    d
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyDoc
    I had to get the extended battery to get me through the day. Makes the 700P a bit heavier, but now I can go a full day w/o having to recharge. They sell it here on TreoCentral for a reasonable price. Hopefully a future ROM update will help this out. Several other threads discuss some other tricks too--check em out.
    d

Thanks for the update.. Kind of sucks that the battery is that bad...

I searched through a bunch of other threads and didn't find any tricks. If you come across them post me a link please.

Thanks

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man

Good info 2000 Man.
    Tks
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I am certainly not a battery expert, but I upgraded from a 650 to the 700 a week ago. I have been very disappointed with the battery life as have many others posters. I bought the Seidio extended life battery but have not yet installed it. Several have suggested deep discharging the Seidio battery a couple of times to set the limits; Not having done that on the original, I decide to try it. It certainly dramatically improved the life - at least double, easily over a day with medium use. Not as good as the 650 but acceptable.

I deep discharged it again and am recharging. i will then put in the Seidio and immediately drain that sucker for a couple of times before doing partial charges.

Just my experience; my thanks to posters that suggested this.

Mike
    Josh,
    here was the other link I was referring too--involves downloading a small file for a portable keyboard--I haven't tried it, but it seems to work for some.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...+battery+drain
    D
  10. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Try turning beam receive off. It seems to help a bit. Also turn off BT if you aren't using it.

I also have 3 chargers (home, work, car); so I am usually never in danger of having my battery completely drained.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man

Don't ??? Your link says this:

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.
    The site also talks about quick chargers and ther negative effect on battery life. It was explained to me when I asked TS that the charging circuit in a smart battery adjusts the charging rate based upon the same reading that the battery meter gives. If the meter is out of calibration, that charging circuit is supplying less than ideal charging rate. So if ya want the charger to supply the ideal charging rate, then ya wanna make sure that it is properly calibrated.
    mike everyone here knows that the 700p has a battery problem even with the 2400 sedio. The 700p is just not good for long usage. You are better off bringing it back and waiting for the sprint 700w which I am. You won't even need the sedio 2400 battery.Go in the 700w forums and this will tell you the battery life is better on the 700w. In this forum all you will get is the run around talking about power cycles and crap. Beside I had the 700w for vzw and the battery life was great.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Don't ??? Your link says this:

The site also talks about quick chargers and ther negative effect on battery life. It was explained to me when I asked TS that the charging circuit in a smart battery adjusts the charging rate based upon the same reading that the battery meter gives. If the meter is out of calibration, that charging circuit is supplying less than ideal charging rate. So if ya want the charger to supply the ideal charging rate, then ya wanna make sure that it is properly calibrated.
    Read the link more closely as you have missed the point. You only do the full discharge on batteries with fuel gauges (laptop batteries) as stated clearly in the article. The Treo batteries clearly do not contain fuel gauges.
    Oh Good Lord! We're not gonna have this argument again are we?!

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Oh Good Lord! We're not gonna have this argument again are we?!

I think you can boil down most of these threads to about 10 topics. most of the threads are rehashing/rephrasing old arguments or questions.

Anyway, the first few days with my 700, I was running out of batteries by around 8 p.m. with moderate use. I did a some on the boards suggested and did the drain all the way thing a few times, then installed the keyboard app. thingy from palm (technical term..) and now I'm at 30 to 40% by the end of the day (past midnight, usually) with pretty heavy use. My phone is on its charger only from about midnight to 6:30 a.m. and I now have no trouble getting through at least one day.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    I think you can boil down most of these threads to about 10 topics. most of the threads are rehashing/rephrasing old arguments or questions.

Anyway, the first few days with my 700, I was running out of batteries by around 8 p.m. with moderate use. I did a some on the boards suggested and did the drain all the way thing a few times, then installed the keyboard app. thingy from palm (technical term..) and now I'm at 30 to 40% by the end of the day (past midnight, usually) with pretty heavy use. My phone is on its charger only from about midnight to 6:30 a.m. and I now have no trouble getting through at least one day.

oddlou, can you give me some more details on what you did?

Thanks

Josh
    My battery for my 700 lasts as long if not longer than my 650.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemethod
    My battery for my 700 lasts as long if not longer than my 650.

I think you're in the minority then.
    I bought a second battery for the 700p to address the drain issue and what I discovered is that this new battery (standard Palm-branded Treo battery) seems to last about twice as long as the battery that came with my 700p.

Usually, I can eek out a day with my original battery -- by 8pm or so the charge is very low and either into or close to the red. Using the new battery, I accidentally forgot to recharge it one night on a business trip last week, and found that I still had about a 60% charge the following morning. I was quite surprised.

So, I'm wondering if either there is a wide range of variance among batteries, or whether the way they are initially broken in impacts the ability to hold a charge, or what???
  20.    #20  
    That's a good thing to know. hmmm.. Maybe I'll take my battery into the store and get a replacement. I've got the Seido battery coming this week , I'll check that out as well.

Josh
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast