Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo
    That's a good point, but it's only one person's anecdotal evidence.

I'm just really curious how the treo tells how much battery is left without a gauge and if there is a gauge, how the information is sent to the treo (there are only two contacts on the battery, whereas laptop batteries seems to have more connectors).

If you think about it, if there is no gauge, the treo only gets a voltage and a current from the battery, which stay the same regardless of the amount of charge left. Even if there were some way to measure the small changes (if there are any at all) in resistance, voltage or current, I don't think it'd be accurate enough to give the single digit % readings that we get. This makes me think that there is some sort of gauge on the battery... anyways hopefully the guys at seidio get back to you soon with a good response =D
    Smart battery technology: http://www.sbs-forum.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Yup. Exactly what I've been saying.

That and I'd really like to see a $5000 Dell laptop. lol
    Here you go I don't really call this a laptop though.
    Now show me the generic clone of that Dell "laptop" that was just released.
    www.widowpc.com Model 517D w/ all the options will cost ya about $4675
    www.pro-star.co Modle 5724 w/ all the options will cost ya about $3,500 before any affinity program discounts

Both meet or beat the Dell's in benchmark testing.
    You still don't get it. Calibrating the fuel gauge (or battery gauge) has NOTHING to do with battery life. An uncalibrated fuel gauge will show the wrong charge amount but won't affect the battery life in any way.
    Apparently neither does Apple, Palm tech support or the battery manufacturers.

A "smart battery" charging circuit can vary charging rate based upon battery charge level which it reads from the fuel gauge. Wrong reading, inappropriate charge rate. The batteryuniversity site has a detailed explanation with regard to charging rates on Li-Ion batteries.

From the apple site

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Most Lithium-ion batteries use a fast charge to charge your device to 80% battery capacity, then switch to trickle charging. Thatís about two hours charge time to power iPod to 80% capacity, then another two hours to fully charge iPod, if you are not using iPod while charging. You can charge all Lithium-ion batteries a large but finite number of times, as defined by charge cycle.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 07/21/2006 at 10:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Apparently neither does Apple, Palm tech support or the battery manufacturers. http://www.apple.com/batteries/
    haha. Learn to read. Directly from Apple at the link that you provided (a day after I already provided it):

You can also recharge a Lithium-ion battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep Nickel-based batteries at peak performance.
    You guys should put those phones in your avatars on the line. Whoever is right on this issue gets one of the other guy's little avatar phones. =D
    Smart battery technology: http://www.sbs-forum.org/
    can you link the something about the part of this technology that manages to get a reading from a battery without a gauge?

also,
    http://www.sbs-forum.org/marcom/companies.htm
    looks like a weak list of companies that actually use that technology
    haha. Learn to read. Directly from Apple at the link that you provided (a day after I already provided it):
    No I just read ALL of it:

"You can also recharge a Lithium-ion battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep Nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in Nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge)."
    So you don't have to dischatrge / recharge Li-Ion to prevent them from crystalization, they do get charged tho....and, as it goes on to say, charging rates change based upon battery charge level. Now either this change in charging rate was put there to protect the battery and improve battery life or they designers just thot is "was cool".

If the smart charging circuit incorrectly reads the charge level it can apply too much current. If it does that, things like exploding batteries and this canbresult.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml06/06056.html
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07...ating_laptops/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05...ilian_mobiles/

I again refer to the previous apple Ipod link earlier in the thread where it specifically states to do the full discharge.

No sense doing this anymore.....everything that's been said has been resaid. So far we know that:

-Palm only includes one sentence on battery care. I for one don't think all that can be said about battery care can fit in one sentence.
    -Numerous electronic device vendors using Li-Ion batteries specifically call for you to periodically discharge (Ipod , laptop vendors call for monthly)
    -Palm Tech Support specifically recommends a complete discharge and rechgarge every 90 days

...as long as Palm is telling me it's the thing to do, I gonna do it.

N
    While I find this discussion on the merits of Lithium-ion batteries and charging networks ever so slightly interesting, my main interest remains getting a reasonable usage time on the battery. I have done the following:
    - bought the extended battery cycled it completely twice.
    - Brightness about a quarter up from black
    - turned off BT
    - turned off IR
    - GPS on 911 only

Yesterday at bedtime, I was at 50% with typical phone usage (about 20 calls of varying lengths) (still lower than 650 used to be but OK).

BTW, the GPS off thing seemed to make a large difference.

Does this seem about right?
    Any thing I forgot to do?
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikenk
    While I find this discussion on the merits of Lithium-ion batteries and charging networks ever so slightly interesting, my main interest remains getting a reasonable usage time on the battery. I have done the following:
    - turned off BT
    - turned off IR
    - GPS on 911 only

Yesterday at bedtime, I was at 50% with typical phone usage (about 20 calls of varying lengths) (still lower than 650 used to be but OK).

You could move.

Some of the many, many threads on this subject seem to suggest that network hunting in poor signal areas REALLY takes a toll on battery use. Just a thought....

I'm curious what you mean by "reasonable usage time" on your battery. I realize that this is subjective, but if you have 50% when you go to bed, why do need more? You don't make calls in your sleep, right? Why would you care if you only had 1% when you went to bed if you are using the 700p without limitation during the day?

Maybe it's a question of expectation. I have always come home and put all my Treos in a charging cradle.....I've never expected them to last more than one day.
    Treohelper on a 650 works well to prevent drain when phone can't find network (don't know if it works on 700p).
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark
    You could move.

Some of the many, many threads on this subject seem to suggest that network hunting in poor signal areas REALLY takes a toll on battery use. Just a thought....

I'm curious what you mean by "reasonable usage time" on your battery. I realize that this is subjective, but if you have 50% when you go to bed, why do need more? You don't make calls in your sleep, right? Why would you care if you only had 1% when you went to bed if you are using the 700p without limitation during the day?

Maybe it's a question of expectation. I have always come home and put all my Treos in a charging cradle.....I've never expected them to last more than one day.
    I agree. 50% is acceptable; before I started eliminating the drain sources, I couldn't get through the day with just minor usage. Even so, when on the road I am sure I will not get through a heavy usage day without going to the other battery. I could with the 650. So, in a way, I was spoiled by the 650 in this regard.

I do live in a fringe reception area. With regard to the phone performance, the 700p is much better than the 650 in my area.
    - turned off BT
    - turned off IR
    - GPS on 911 only

How you get e-mail ? Push is a huge eater. What programs are not on ya SD card ? One way to check suspect programs is to move them over to the card and see if it makes a difference. If they on the card, they can't be doing things "on their own".

2. You turn the phone radio off at night ?

After 4 days I am at 73%....but I haven't used it last few days for more than 3 or 4 calls a day.....minor data usage and the usual background tasks like weather each morning, various alarms and checking TV schedules.
    I posted this in the Apps area, but .....

For what it's worth .... after uninstalling the wireless keyboard driver/app ..... my battery life has been excellent. Working on a second full day and the battery is still at 53%. (low to moderate phone usage ... fair amount on the web.)
    hmmm... I'll certainly give this a try.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123